Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-22-2014, 08:44 AM   #1

New Roof

Briefly looked through the forum and did not find a thread on EPDM roof replacemement. I have a 31' 1998 Southwind Storm that I am in the process of updating/partial resto.

Has anyone ever done a EPDM roof replacement? I had quotes given for $4000-$5000 and did not see myself parting with that kind of cash.

So I bought a kit for $600 and it was delivered yesterday.

The plan is to buy new roof vents, etc and then start when the weather man says no rain in the forecast.

If anyone who has experience with EPDM roof replacement please chime in.
gary276 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-22-2014, 08:49 AM   #2

Roof...

there are you tube videos that do a good job of showing this... good luck, you can do it... be careful...
USMC1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 08:59 AM   #3

Been there

Thanks for the reply/input. I did check out a couple of videos just wanted some input from someone who had personal experinence, you know the "whatever you do dont...".

I am confident I can do it, and I plan on at a minimum taking before, in process and after pics to post here for any future fool...I mean person.. that attempts this.

Semper Fi Marine!
gary276 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 10:03 AM   #4

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Good Luck can't wait for the Pic's
spritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 08:18 PM   #5

Desipte what the weathermen have to say Murphys law will kick in as soon as you start your roof job. When I replaced my roof I created a tent structure around it so that at nite I could cover it. You might look into some 2x4 teepee's in front and at the back and then string a rope over them and throw a large tarp over it.
Grog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 08:44 PM   #6

Nor'easters Club
Take a look at our project summary, below, in RV Reroof.
Old 03-01-2014, 10:11 AM   #7

Do lots of good prep! Have an array of squeegys I also had some short bristle cheap brushes. Scuff with 100 grit paper all vent covers and AC cover. Coat them also. I scuffed my roof holding trim and 1/2 inch onto the sides and caps, masked off the 1/2 inch and ran my EDPM from the top over all those areas (screws ect) that could leak. Good luck
Old 03-01-2014, 08:15 PM   #8

Sounds like you are on the right track. It's not hard, it just takes time and cooperation with the weather. You are right to remove all the vents, caps, sky lights and AC etc. Only way to do it right. When you remove the AC you don't need to take it off the roof, just move it from end to end as you complete the steps. Be sure you remove all the trim pieces on the sides and front and back. The new roof material needs to go under these and then sealed. In my research $600 seems pretty inexpensive. There are different levels of EPDM roofing and along with the install materials I think the cost would be approx $925 minimum. This is a job you only want to do once. I am figuring 35 ' of roofing and 2 or three gallons of adhesive and the butyl tape and sealant. I would also use stainless screws on the install. Good luck!
09 harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 05:35 AM   #9

Thanks

Thanks for all of the advice and input. The kit cost $600, but I did a lot of "online" research. The kits were any where from $600 to $1000. The kit I got has .60 mil EPDM made by Firestone, the same material that the more expensive kits are made of but some kits only had .40 mil thick EPDM. Some of the more expensive kits also had shipping for about $120, the place I got one from had free shipping.

Anyway I do intend on taking my time and doing it right the first time, the weather forecast is more favorable in about another week, Im still waiting on a couple of black water and gray water tank vents to come in the mail, already bought the new opening vents/fans and a new rooftop A/C unit.

Going to rent 2 12' ladders, one for each side and if the weather turns bad in the middle of the job I have a covered storage that Im still paying forabout a mile form the house.
Old 03-02-2014, 10:59 PM   #10

Sorry, I thought you were talking about recoating old roof with liquid EDPM
Old 03-29-2014, 07:46 AM   #11

Done

Got it done and have to say I am proud to have done it myself but I dont think I would do it again, now I know why they charge soooo much, its a pain and very detailed. Installed new opening vents, skylight, black and grey tank vents (Siphon 360) and a new A/C unit. I do have pics of the old roof and during pics also, but on my camera and not my phone so will post them later when I have the time.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Roof.jpg
Views:	332
Size:	175.8 KB
ID:	59448  
Old 03-29-2014, 08:04 AM   #12

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Wow really looks nice, great Job, I'm going to do my roof too, but on the inside...
Great job, Tim
spritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 06:16 AM   #13

New roof leaks

I redid my roof a few years ago in fiberglass, with the understanding that I could cut-out sections for repairs. Well I've been chasing three tiny leaks and found the source of two was a crack in the middle of the roof. Probably a Sandy related branch fell on it. It took me 30 minutes to cut out about 16sq ft of fiberglass and completely rotted luan.

Today of course it's raining. I bought a new tarp yesterday, JIC.

Tomorrow I'll buy fresh luan, cut a new patch and and fiberglass it in place.

I've posted "during" pictures and will post current pics tomorrow.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1989.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	1.23 MB
ID:	59902   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2021.JPG
Views:	152
Size:	217.2 KB
ID:	59903  

PeterS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 06:01 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by gary276 View Post
Got it done and have to say I am proud to have done it myself but I dont think I would do it again, now I know why they charge soooo much, its a pain and very detailed. Installed new opening vents, skylight, black and grey tank vents (Siphon 360) and a new A/C unit. I do have pics of the old roof and during pics also, but on my camera and not my phone so will post them later when I have the time.
Very nice job! Probably better than any service center. I added the 360 vent covers also and they work great. Are you going to add covers to your fans to allow you to leave them open in the rain for ventilation? Easy to do at this point and you will really like them.
09 harley is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
roof