Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 02-24-2013, 09:25 PM   #15

Florida Cooters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Lot's of manufacturer's back in the 70s, that's for sure. Good luck finding out what she is. I was reared in a population 300 town in Kentucky and even we had a "RV Manufacturing" plant back then. Little Colonel Campers, Bonnieville, Ky. Still population 300, btw.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-25-2013, 02:17 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by emoney View Post
Lot's of manufacturer's back in the 70s, that's for sure. Good luck finding out what she is. I was reared in a population 300 town in Kentucky and even we had a "RV Manufacturing" plant back then. Little Colonel Campers, Bonnieville, Ky. Still population 300, btw.
I know it's a Fan Luxury Style Liner so far, just can't find the model anywhere online and I won't be at my shop (90 miles away) to check it out more for about a month.

Old 05-30-2013, 01:42 PM   #17

Ok, so we are just a few weeks away from our first camping trip with this camper and I've starting working on getting the landing gear reconnected. The wiring is a bit of a nightmare, but that should be expected.

HOWEVER, I have a problem that I need some answers to help with. While attempting to recondition and recharge the old battery (gotta get a new one anyway), I put the battery charger on 40 amps and connected it to the leads for each landing gear leg motor. Both motors turn in both directions, as well as the little driveshafts on them, but my problem is that the legs don't move AT ALL. Are there gear inside these legs that have stripped out??? I have about 2 weeks to find the issue and get what I need to fix it since I will be at my shop in 2 week specifically to fix it and won't have another chance before we take out trip. Can anyone school me on the internals of the landing gear legs on the 5'ers?
Old 06-18-2013, 09:10 AM   #18

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Sorry can't help on the Jacks, I have a Class A, are you redoing the roof or was it started before you bought it? I like the interior, ours is a 82 and still has the original interior. I am sure someone will reply about the jacks. Can you see them thru the front doors? Maybe you can try calling a bigger Rv dealer they may be able to direct you to someone that will know.
Good luck on your first trip and keep us posted.
Tim
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0465.JPG
Views:	32
Size:	731.1 KB
ID:	40877  
spritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 09:24 AM   #19

Roof was redone by the fella I purchased it from. From what he said, he bought it after a tree broke through the roof. It really surprised me that someone else my age (early 20's) was as good at what they do. The interior was all his doing, though some pf the exterior trim isn't slipped in the grooves correctly and the roof isn't even cut out yet for the vents.

And the jacks can't been seen from the front, other than the bottems of them. The majority of the legs and their motors are inside those 2 doors with the battery and propane tanks.
Old 06-19-2013, 10:12 AM   #20

You will probably not find much information on the 5er. It is a 40 year old trailer that the manufacturer has been out of business for a long time. In fact it is not a stretch to say they were out of business before the internet became the internet. If you think about it, the personal computer really did not become truly available until the 80's and the internet boom occurred in the 90's.

What you might be able to find is information on individual components. You already mention having some of the appliance manuals which is the best that you can hope for.

On the landing gear I doubt that the 5er manufacturer made them. More than likely they purchased them and installed them. Look on the jacks / motors to see if you can find a manufacturer name. If not the basic way most of those systems work is that the motor turns a horizontal axle that has a gear that is set 90 degrees to a gear that is mounted to a screw shaft that the leg rides up and down on. The horizontal axle usually has a way where you can manually turn it with a handle to override the motor. There is usually a cover on the top of the jack that can be removed where you can see these gears. One or both gears could have a shear pin that is broken. That is based on your description that you can see the one shaft turn when you powered the motor. There should be a way to remove these jacks to work on them. The mechanism are the same that you see on semi trailers legs and even on truck camper legs.

I know it is not specific to your 5er, but at that age of a system you will need to be able to take general information and apply it to your specific need.

Mike
Old 06-24-2013, 03:54 PM   #21

I just need things like wiring schematics since there is a short somewhere in the left side turn/marker/stop lamp circuit as well as all of the smaller marker lamps.

The appliance manuals are for the all electric, non-original refrigerator and microwave.

Grabbed a motor cover for one of the landing gear legs. They are made by Atwood. Got the 16 tooth rebuilt kits for each leg after the last weekend that I would be able to fix them (for awhile). I hope These kits will work with the legs that I have.
Old 06-24-2013, 05:32 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by crash-harris View Post
I just need things like wiring schematics since there is a short somewhere in the left side turn/marker/stop lamp circuit as well as all of the smaller marker lamps.

The appliance manuals are for the all electric, non-original refrigerator and microwave.

Grabbed a motor cover for one of the landing gear legs. They are made by Atwood. Got the 16 tooth rebuilt kits for each leg after the last weekend that I would be able to fix them (for awhile). I hope These kits will work with the legs that I have.
Yes hopefully the kits will work.

On the wiring issues. You probably will not find an overall wiring diagram. However since you are working on running lights the industry has to follow certain standards. You will want to indentify if you have a flat 4 pin plug or a 5,6 or 7 pin round plug. Then the wiring colors and location in the plug is standard. A site like etrailer.com has the diagrams on those. You might not know where the physical wire runs (ie in the wall, ceiling, floor, etc) but you will know where it starts and where it ends. Another long piece of wire with a continuity tester can tell if the wire is cut somewhere. Also another common issue is that the ground at the light fixture has gone bad due to corrosion. In fact on a rig that old I would start by looking in the bad fixture and tracing the ground to ensure that a good ground exist.

Mike
Old 06-24-2013, 05:45 PM   #23

I would just like at the very least to know where in the walls the wiring and propane is run. I'm a mechanic as well as an electriction and a plumber. When I removed the entire light assembly amd left it dangling by the wires, the tail lights on the truck returned to normal versus when the assembly is secured and the 7 pin round plug is connected to the truck (tail lights and right light on camper would stay on constant without turning on the headlights). So it looks like I will have to remove the right tail light and see of the left one is even wired correctly. If they are wired the same, then I'll have to break out the multimeter again. Hopefully the grounding issue is somewhere that I can actually get to without hacking the wall all up to find it...