Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-11-2012, 01:41 PM   #1

Question New RV Owner Needs Some Advice

This is my first post on this site and Im pretty sure it wont be my last :-)
Anyway, I recently purchased a 33ft 1984 Winnebago Chieftain and have a couple questions regarding the purchase of replacement parts and repair techniques. First, I am going to start the removal of the interior wall and roof panels to inspect and repair some minor water damage. I would like to know if anyone has done this and if so, what kind of battle am I looking at. Secondly, I am going to have to replace the interior exhaust vents on the roof. I can not find them online and was wondering if anyone knew a place where I could order them.

Thank you for any responses and I look forward to chatting with some of you
JRelated is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-11-2012, 01:55 PM   #2

Look for rv dealers in NY state that sell Winnies they should be able to help with parts. I have an 86 Winnie Elandan which is pretty close to the same and have been changing some things around in mine.
jimbo16720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 02:04 PM   #3

Workhorse Chassis Owner
If your 1984 is built like my 1996 and my 2004 Winnebago the roof is made by laminating the roof covering (aluminum on my 1996 and fiberglass on my 2004) with 1/8 luan, styrofoam panels. 1/8 luan and the ceiling material (vinyl in my 1996 and thin carpet like material in 2004). In both cases it would be pretty difficult to remove and replace the ceiling material. Hopefully yours isn't built like that and the material (panels) are removable.
In any case Winnebago keeps some types of parts in stock for many years. Maybe you will lucky enough for the vents to be in stock or maybe even still used.

I would call Lichtsinn Motors with the VIN so they can cross it to your ID number and see if they can help.

I have always had good service from them. They are a dealer a mile or so from the Winnebago factory and very knowledgeable about parts.
Old 06-11-2012, 02:33 PM   #4

Awesome, I'll check out Lichtsinn... As for the interior roof, I do not believe we have the same set up. There was some water damage to the roof in the back bedroom and the exterior was repaired by the previous owner. However, the interior was left as is and it's basically wood paneling with laminate overlay. Behind that was insulation and the wooden frame and finally the exterior skin of the coach. The repair seems pretty straight forward with removal and installation. Depending on how far the leak went, I might just tear it down to the frame and put up new walls and ceiling.
Old 06-11-2012, 06:00 PM   #5

Sounds like you have set yourself up for a very ambitious project. You will find Lichtsinn a great source for parts and information. You can also call Winnebago for wiring and plumbing diagrams. Your is old enough they probably are not on the web anymore, but can probably be provided through Winnie Customer Service.

I am guessing that the ceiling vents you are referring to are the typical 12 volt fans? They are normally in a 14" x 14" opening and are very noisy and inefficient. You might want to consider replacing them with Fantastic vent fans. While they are a bit pricey, they are quiet and extremely efficient.

We hope you come back often and ask as many questions you may have. Also check a bit further down the page for a Winnebago specific forum.

Good luck with your project.
Kazoo Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 10:43 AM   #6

On fans I run 2 Maxair I love them
whem2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 11:50 AM   #7

my advice: tear into only a little bit at a time to see what you're dealing with. A friend of mine ripped into his. His was a late 80s (Triple E?? I can't remember the brand). In his unit, the interior wall coverings was glued to press-wood paneling, which was sandwiched to foam, and then glued to the frame. When he ripped it all apart, it was mess.

If your is made like my old 19ft truck camper though, the exterior siding interlocks, so taking it off is easy. I took the side off to get a deeper look at the back side of the interior walls.
Jon Mopar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 10:55 AM   #8

You are right. The interior walls are glued to the paneling and there was foam behind it. So I'm going to do random checks along the sides to make sure there are no hidden leaks. If all tests good, Ill probably just panel over the existing walls with 1/8 panels. Thank you...
Old 06-13-2012, 11:17 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Always enjoy reading about vintage winnebegos, especially the 33ft chieftains since I just bought one this April. I always get compliments on it where ever I go. Love the floorplan and how well the older ones seem to be constructed. I hope you enjoy yours as much as we do. Keep us posted on your repairs/upgrades. Ive' not done much to mine so far but detailing etc. It was stored indoors most of the time and that really makes a huge difference on just about everything. Love to see some pics of yours when you have time. Welcome to the forum. Let the forum know if you need manual, documents, brochures for yours, there are several out there available from forum members.

20016 - Starcraft Launch Ultra Lite - 26BHS travel trailer
Gary G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 11:29 AM   #10

Excel Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Search YouTube. Lots of DIY RV repair vidoes that may help.
chief02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 01:16 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRelated View Post
You are right. The interior walls are glued to the paneling and there was foam behind it. So I'm going to do random checks along the sides to make sure there are no hidden leaks. If all tests good, Ill probably just panel over the existing walls with 1/8 panels. Thank you...
My 91 Silver Eagle had a wallpaper glued to smooth paneling which was glued to the foam insulation which was glued to another wood panelling which was glued to the exterior wall. We had to peplace the whole bathroom structure and the passenger side wall structure to the entry door all due to leaks when it was left sitting for four years. It almost looks brand new right now.
Bilito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 08:29 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary G. View Post
Always enjoy reading about vintage winnebegos, especially the 33ft chieftains since I just bought one this April. I always get compliments on it where ever I go. Love the floorplan and how well the older ones seem to be constructed. I hope you enjoy yours as much as we do. Keep us posted on your repairs/upgrades. Ive' not done much to mine so far but detailing etc. It was stored indoors most of the time and that really makes a huge difference on just about everything. Love to see some pics of yours when you have time. Welcome to the forum. Let the forum know if you need manual, documents, brochures for yours, there are several out there available from forum members.
Definitely! I'm going to start the renovation this Saturday and I'll be taking pics along the way. I'll be sure to post the before, during and afters. You mentioned that forum members have manuals? What forum would I look into for asking about a manual for my RV?
Thank you again...
Old 06-14-2012, 08:47 AM   #13

If you have not found this parts site, you probably will need it. If it was ever made for a Winnebago, they most likely will have it. Their downloadable catalog is quite extensive.
Winnebago Parts - Parts for all Winnebago motorhome makes, models, and years, including Itasca, Rialta, Eurovan - Specializing in the Renault based Winnebago LeSharo, Phasar, and Centauri Motorhomes
Old 06-15-2012, 12:06 AM   #14

Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
We found parts for an old Holiday Rambler we redid, a late 80's or early 90's,can't remember the date now, at Colaws, its a huge parts yard. We even got a bumper for it that was in great condition.
PatStab is offline   Reply With Quote