Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 10-07-2010, 09:25 PM   #15

Thanks for the breakdown, GW! That confirms what I see on the rig.
Well, first major unexpected problem discovered today. Took the right side valve cover off to replace a leaking gasket and discovered the exhaust manifold cracked in at least 3 places. Anyone know a good source to get a new one? I'm gonna post the question in a new thread, too. At least it looks relatively accessible. I should have looked at that closer before buying it...
Chris

Aerochez is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-08-2010, 12:52 AM   #16

If a tire was manufactured in the second week of 2003 the date code would be 0203.

If a tire was manufactured in the second week of 1993 the date code would be 023.

See below:

Look for the Tire Identification Number branded on the sidewall of the tire to determine the tires age. The Tire Identification Number is preceded by DOT, which stands for Department of Transportation, and is 10 to 12 digits in length. You may have to check both sides of the tire to find the complete Tire Identification Number.

Locate the last three or four digits of the Tire Identification Number. Previous to 2000, three digits determined the tire age. Tires made since 2000 use four numbers to determine a tires age.

Since 2000
Determine the year the tire was manufactured by decoding the last two digits. For example, if the last two digits are "07", then the tire was manufactured in 2007.

Determine the week the tire was manufactured by decoding the first two numbers that makeup the last four digits in the Tire Identification Number. For example, if the last four digits of the Tire Identification Number are 2807, then the tire was manufactured during the 28th week of 2007.

Before 2000
Determine the year the tire was manufactured by decoding the last digit of the Tire Identification Number. For example, if the last digit is "3", then the tire was manufactured during the 3rd year of the decade. The problem with this system was that you could not determine during which decade the tire was made.

Determine the week the tire was manufactured by decoding the first two numbers that makeup the last three digits in the Tire Identification Number. For example, if the last three digits of the Tire Identification Number are 403, then the tire was manufactured during the 40th week of 1993 (or 1983).

Shop for newly manufactured tires by decoding the Tire Identification Numbers. A good rule of thumb is to purchase tires that are less than six years old for optimum safety.

Read more: How to Decode a Tire Identification Number to Determine Tire Age | eHow.com How to Decode a Tire Identification Number to Determine Tire Age | eHow.com

Old 10-08-2010, 05:19 AM   #17

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerochez View Post
Thanks for the breakdown, GW! That confirms what I see on the rig.
Well, first major unexpected problem discovered today. Took the right side valve cover off to replace a leaking gasket and discovered the exhaust manifold cracked in at least 3 places. Anyone know a good source to get a new one? I'm gonna post the question in a new thread, too. At least it looks relatively accessible. I should have looked at that closer before buying it...
Chris
This store have the parts that you need.
1984 Chevrolet Pickup C30 1 Ton 4x2 - Manifolds and Headers Parts -DORMAN OE SOLUTIONS- Autosupplyco

Sometimes I get them from the Pic-A-Part in my area, if I can find a big block. Sometimes the top of the manifold looks good and there may be cracks on the bottom of the runner. Wet the manifold, as it dries the cracks will show. Don't feel bad, finding all of the flaws can be tricky and time consuming. When I bought my first class-A I spent almost six hours checking it out.My biggest fear was the fridge, so while I waited for it to get good and cold I went over everything else. You have to take a list and just work it.
J
Old 10-08-2010, 06:02 AM   #18

if you know a good welder i had a crack welded with a nickle rod lasted 4 years till headers
dave
Old 10-08-2010, 12:03 PM   #19

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
He's a great welder! Info please.
J
Old 10-08-2010, 12:05 PM   #20

Did they send you the wiring diagram for the chassis or the coach or both?? I could use the coach wiring diagram. I have a 34' 1985 Pace Arrow.
---Homeless2
Old 10-08-2010, 01:49 PM   #21

yes fe is a good welder (faa aircraft certs) used nickle rod he did bevel the the crack i watches as i weld also in air craft. now 25 years ago i welded cast iron with arc we heated the cast with a torch. we use tig now. i just didnt have cash from all the other repairs i did
now a trick i learned on removing bolts run motor till hot (have fire extinguser near by) spray bolts with pb blaster let cool repeat this 3 times then cool use a impact on lowest setting i only broke 1 bolt
dave
Old 10-08-2010, 03:57 PM   #22

You might hit some of the small tire shops in your area for good used tires. I bought 4 really nice used Bridgestones and 2 new front tires for $500 installed. The fronts are off brand but seem to be decent tires. Just completed 2,700 miles on a trip to Wyoming with no problems. These were 235/85R16.
Old 10-08-2010, 09:35 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeless2 View Post
Did they send you the wiring diagram for the chassis or the coach or both?? I could use the coach wiring diagram. I have a 34' 1985 Pace Arrow.
---Homeless2
Sure, although they are specific to the Southwind. You might do better to call and ask for the Pace Arrow ones. It was super easy.
Send an email to
fleetwoodmhservice@fleetwoodrv.com
Specify your year make and model and ask for whatever brochures and diagrams they have. I got a response in one day. If you don't get help, let me know and I'll be glad to email you what I have!
Aerochez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 07:57 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by whem2fish View Post
i have a 85 southwind smaller (28 ft) looks same as yours i have same motor trans. you should have front air bags they didnt come from factory on rear i added them it is a no drill install i pull a 4 door chevy truck on level road you have to watch the mph on a long climb the 4 barrel opens speed will fall to50 mph now this is no moutain or the likes i run bf goodrich comercials got them from sams club ($1100) mounted and bal.
i did have to remove them from rv myself as they didnt have a jack.
be sure to replace brake fluid if it hasnt been done
dave
I know this is off subject but I recently aquired a two owner 85 southwind eagle 1 it is my first rv and personally I feel it was a wise investment of $800.! The 454 has 40,000 original miles and service record from day of purchase to sale to second owner whom neglected it but not as bad as some I have seen. Anyway my question is do you have a wiring diagram for the battery connections? Apparently the person I bought it from felt he repaired the power draw by unhooking everything and doesn't know what wire went where! I also believe the fuel pump is out or connected wrong because I can't get fuel to carb, changed filter, mech pump, and shot compressed air through both supply and return lines and they are clear any help would be greatly appreciated,

Thank you,
Scotty.