Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 04-08-2016, 06:37 PM   #1

New Step

I received my new Kwikee automatic step today. The original one never worked as the gear in the box was stripped, so I just basically gutted it and drilled a hole in the frame to hold it in the up position when moving.This will be so nice not having to get on my knees and bend down to find the hole for the pin,. I'm assuming the step gets it's power from the coach batteries so, I will have to get one hooked up as they have not been in there since I bought the thing three years ago. Oh, only 318 dollars shipped

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-08-2016, 07:07 PM   #2
New to the RV World

Vintage RV Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deano56 View Post
I received my new Kwikee automatic step today. The original one never worked as the gear in the box was stripped, so I just basically gutted it and drilled a hole in the frame to hold it in the up position when moving.This will be so nice not having to get on my knees and bend down to find the hole for the pin,. I'm assuming the step gets it's power from the coach batteries so, I will have to get one hooked up as they have not been in there since I bought the thing three years ago. Oh, only 318 dollars shipped

Be prepared, you may have to change out the micro switch in the door frame as Kwikee has changed the switch from older models. You will know if the steps operate in the reverse of what they should, open up when the door is closed and close up when the door is open.

New Kwikee step install

GlennLever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 07:25 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlennLever View Post
Be prepared, you may have to change out the micro switch in the door frame as Kwikee has changed the switch from older models. You will know if the steps operate in the reverse of what they should, open up when the door is closed and close up when the door is open.

New Kwikee step install
Glenn, I believe this is a replacement step for what I did have, they told me that it has everything I need to replace mine and, from what I see that micro switch is in the box along with the new electrical plug in. I'll know tomorrow if it warms up some or, maybe that won't mater
Old 04-08-2016, 07:37 PM   #4

good link of replacing yours, I definitely will be looking at that when I do mine
Old 04-11-2016, 07:50 PM   #5

Quote:

New Kwikee step install
Glenn, in your post about installing your new step, you say test lead, what do you mean? I need to replace my old style male plug to fit the new female on my new step. It does look like my wires from the old step are the same colors, hope it works. Only was able to get the step hung tonight. Too slow and getting older I am
Old 04-11-2016, 10:42 PM   #6
New to the RV World

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Glenn, in your post about installing your new step, you say test lead, what do you mean? I need to replace my old style male plug to fit the new female on my new step. It does look like my wires from the old step are the same colors, hope it works. Only was able to get the step hung tonight. Too slow and getting older I am
I think what you are talking about is the test sequence in the instruction manual.

In the manual it tells you what wires to connect to make the steps extend and retract.

If this is not what you are talking about let me know and I will respond.

By the way.

Old 04-12-2016, 07:44 PM   #7

Quote:
I think what you are talking about is the test sequence in the instruction manual.

In the manual it tells you what wires to connect to make the steps extend and retract.

If this is not what you are talking about let me know and I will respond.

By the way.

thats a good one
Old 04-13-2016, 07:00 PM   #8

wired up my step this afternoon matching up color for color, I was surprised that the original wires were the same colors. The step works well but, the light stays on when the step is out, I did not hook up the purple wire which is to tie in to the porch light, can't figure that one out. Maybe cause it on shore power?
Old 04-13-2016, 07:10 PM   #9
New to the RV World

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
wired up my step this afternoon matching up color for color, I was surprised that the original wires were the same colors. The step works well but, the light stays on when the step is out, I did not hook up the purple wire which is to tie in to the porch light, can't figure that one out. Maybe cause it on shore power?
When my steps are out the light stays on.

I also have not hooked up the purple wire.

Old 04-13-2016, 07:46 PM   #10

Quote:
When my steps are out the light stays on.

I also have not hooked up the purple wire.
well I hooked up a coach battery, which I had never before, now the light goes out when I shut the door Hey it works,way better then kneeling down, bending over to look for the hole to put the pin in.
Old 04-18-2016, 05:53 PM   #11

I just read in another post the the ignition switch has some control with the step function too? I didn't notice anything like that and all wires are connected as should be