Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 12-28-2014, 01:04 PM   #1

New tires

Well after talking to the previous owner of my 21' 89 mallard sprinter , and seeing some sidewall cracks on the michlin ltx's ,( man my car has michllins with cracks in them too lol ) I've decided that since there 10 years old it's time to replace then. 1st off I love Canadian tire , I pay more but I can return things always with no hassle and usually no receipt, and ifeel like I'm supporting my country by shopping there, that being said , is anyone running motomaster all terrains on their rigs, the specs try say they are 10 ply with a nice aggressive tread pattern. And the prices are always nice , any feedback would be Awsome

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-28-2014, 04:11 PM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
I'd say your tires are in need of replacement! I admire your pride in Canadian products but Canadian Tires are mostly from South Korea or China (Hancock plant) County of origin is encoded in the first 2 letters of the DOT code.

Canadian Tire Motomaster MotoMaster AW : Questions, Answers, How To, FAQs, Tips, Advice, Answers, Buying Guide

If the tires meet the size and load dictated by your RV, no reason not to think the tires will be good. Michelin seem overpriced to me, and the sidewall issue is also a concern. I don't go off roading with my RV, so I'd question the need for 'all terrain' tires, but that's just me.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2014, 04:35 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1989mallard View Post
Well after talking to the previous owner of my 21' 89 mallard sprinter , and seeing some sidewall cracks on the michlin ltx's ,( man my car has michllins with cracks in them too lol )
1989mallard
Welcome to the IWIHBMTC, (I Wish I Hadn't Bought Michelin Tire Club).
Our numbers are growing.
I just had 6 3 year 7 month old Michelin XZEs replaced because the sidewalls were cracking.
I can't tell you which tires to buy.... but I can tell you which brand I will NEVER BUY AGAIN.

Mel
'96 Safari, 136k miles, (only 10k on Michelins)
Old 12-28-2014, 04:55 PM   #4

Are they so aggressive that they will be noisy going down the road?

Just a thought.
Old 12-28-2014, 07:17 PM   #5

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
I'm not sure which to go with either.
Yes Michelin are out for me.
I have Goodyear's on my 99 concours and have Hankooks(HL) on my 64 deville. Really happy with both.
There are Bridgestones on the fronts now and have had no trouble with them either.
A tough Decision
Tim
spritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2014, 07:47 PM   #6

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I too went with an all terrain tire as we drive icy, snow covered roads every so often, plus we go boondocking on dirt roads that can turn to mud after rain storms. So I understand your desire for all terrain tires on you MH.
Grandpere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2014, 08:41 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandpere View Post
I too went with an all terrain tire as we drive icy, snow covered roads every so often, plus we go boondocking on dirt roads that can turn to mud after rain storms. So I understand your desire for all terrain tires on you MH.
What brand do you go with
Old 12-28-2014, 09:06 PM   #8

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1989mallard View Post
What brand do you go with
I went with Sailun tires. They are Chinese tires that are made for the Canadian, American, and European markets. There was a write up about them in one of the car magazines, sorry I don't remember which one, and they got rave reviews when they went head to head with Michelin, Goodyear, Perelli, and another brand I don't remember. After reading the article I ordered 6 of the Sailun Regional Drive Tire - S737 load range G/14 ply. They were $220 each at the time I got them from Rutybore on eBay. I then had them mounted and balanced for $35.00 each at my local mechanic's shop. Depending on where you live, it is possible to find a tire dealer that handles Sailun tires. There was no one here in Arkansas that handled them then. So far I have been very pleased with them. I replaced the 8R19.5 tires with 245/70R19.5 tires and the difference in handling was significant. I emailed Rustybore before ordering and he said all the trucks and MHs he has mounted them on have all liked them so well he increased his Sailun line. If you cannot find what you need on eBay, you can contact them and they probably have them, just not available through eBay. BTW, there was free shipping on the tires. If you go with these, I think you will be very pleased, in all the road conditions we have traveled on, we have never had any problems in handling or traction whether it be ice, snow, or mud.
Grandpere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2014, 10:18 PM   #9

Awsome i will check them out Forsure
Old 12-29-2014, 08:14 AM   #10

If they're 10ply tires, they're load range E, and I'm assuming 16"? Just hit your local Walmart, they carry 16" LT, 10ply tires for around $120ea.

Tags
tires