Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 12-02-2006, 05:11 AM   #1

I just bought a 79 winnebago in rough condition for $560. The RV roof leaks, the AC, Furnace needs replaced, part of the ceiling needs work, floor needs carpet, no frig, dryrouted tires. Chysler 440 runs good. It has a Onan 5.0 generator. The guy had purchased it on Ebay # 140025105054 and drove it 2000 miles home. So my winter project is a big one.

I covered it with a tarp to dry out. I need to get the generator running as there is no power where it will be stored. When i push the starter there seems to be no power. Does the gen have its own battery or would it use the same battery as the engine.

What would be recomended to seal the roof. It looks rough but is still solid.

This is my first RV and any help will be great

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-02-2006, 05:11 AM   #2

I just bought a 79 winnebago in rough condition for $560. The RV roof leaks, the AC, Furnace needs replaced, part of the ceiling needs work, floor needs carpet, no frig, dryrouted tires. Chysler 440 runs good. It has a Onan 5.0 generator. The guy had purchased it on Ebay # 140025105054 and drove it 2000 miles home. So my winter project is a big one.

I covered it with a tarp to dry out. I need to get the generator running as there is no power where it will be stored. When i push the starter there seems to be no power. Does the gen have its own battery or would it use the same battery as the engine.

What would be recomended to seal the roof. It looks rough but is still solid.

This is my first RV and any help will be great

Old 12-02-2006, 07:41 AM   #3

Jeff, most of the newer MH's have a seperate battery for the generator, this one might too. You should be able to track the battery cables from the gen to where the battery is located.
Do yourself a favor and change the oil and plug in that generator. Condensation might be in the oil if it's set for sometime. As far as the roof sealant, I sure any RV shop by you would have something. That should be high on the list for repairs. I just replaced our front wall because of water damage. I don't want to go thru that again. Good Luck, most of all have fun.

1964 Ander-ett 16ft
michcruiser60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2006, 08:34 AM   #4
Administrator in Memoriam

Appalachian Campers
Jeff,

I noticed this was your first post here and that you joined iRV2 today. Welcome to iRV2, we're really glad to have you here as a new member and are looking forward to reading your posts about your RVing experiences and adventures. You'll find a great bunch of folks on this site who are very knowledgeable of RVing, the rigs we use, and the places we go in them.

As you'll see, they're eager to help and share their knowledge and experiences with others.

I looked at the eBay ad for your Winnebago and it looks like you got a great deal at $560 considering the guy you bought it from just paid $1,629. With a little work to spiff up the interior you should have a nice rig to go camping in.

When you get it fixed up, join us with the Appalachian Campers for some fun and fellowship.

Again, welcome to iRV2, we're glad you joined.
Old 12-02-2006, 10:18 AM   #5

Welcome Jeff to the IRV2 website, you have quite a project in front of you, I'm sure you can handle it or you wouldn't have bought the coach in the first place.
The top priority would be to fix the roof and go from there, let the forum know on the progress of your project. Ed.S