Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 12-15-2010, 08:33 PM   #1

new waste hose does not fit.

Hi,

I'm new to the forum as well as to my 73 Winnebago Brave. I've had it for a month now and have gotten to know it pretty well.

I'm headed to a park and must have the proper hookups, so went to a supply store and purchased a new hose and cap only to find they don't fit.

Where do I head now? Whether it be back to the store, or online, I need this ASAP!! Any help is greatly appreciated.

TJ

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-15-2010, 08:54 PM   #2
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Firstly, WELCOME to IRV2.

Which hose are we talking about? The 'city' water connection, or the holding tank dump?

Any garden hose should connect up to the city water connection, although it is recommended that you use a hose specifically designed for potable water (they are typically white in color). As for a sewer hose, can't say I've seen them in too many hardware stores, but any RV dealer, Camping World, Wal-Mart or even Kmart should have them and the connections are 'universal'.

We can help more if you clarify.

2017 GMC Acadia toad
JMonroe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 09:03 PM   #3

Workhorse Chassis Owner
definately need more details... pictures of your "wrong size" would be great too but definately more details in the writings please....
Old 12-16-2010, 01:49 AM   #4

Thanks for getting back so fast!

I thought the sewer hose would be universal too, but it's not. :(

No pics to share -sorry.

I'll describe it the best i can: The hard plastic pipe coming out of the holding tank is black with a white 4 "toothed" ring. It's 4 1/4" in diam.

The sewer hose package I purchased is top of the line red hose w/ connectors and a 90% bayonet seating for the dumping station. But the darn thing is too small. Thought I was going to break it determined it would indeed fit.

I'm really surprised it's not fitting because it should be universal. Now know this: Before I was able to get to the RV store, I went to Home Depot and purchased a variety of home plumbing products I thought would do the trick of capping the pipe for transit. It has a little "dribble" when I'm on the road.

Now, I've not caused any black water, this is only gray, but in the scheme of things, that does not matter to any park manager -right?!

So, now I'm 2 days away without a hose or cap that fits. Strange though it is, I need a solution. Has anyone had this issue with a vintage RV?

I know I'm going to be up against some issues as I roll along, but I need to get this done before I head south. . . the other issues are in the future, and I know with all of you out here, I'll get things done!

Thanks for your help.

tj
aka: 1973tj993
73 Winnebago 24' w/ a beasty 440 Dodge
cheftrish@gmail.com
Old 12-16-2010, 03:34 AM   #5

Vintage RV Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to RedneckExpress Send a message via AIM to RedneckExpress Send a message via MSN to RedneckExpress Send a message via Yahoo to RedneckExpress
Measure your supply pipe going to the dump valve and output connection. If its a standard 3"(4"? Can't remember the size off the top of my head) connection, you should be able to go down to any RV supply store worth its salt and get a new set of pieces to "weld" on a new dump valve. Once you have the three pieces and some ABS cement, go home, cut off the old valve (Provided there's enough pipe) then glue on the new one, then you'll be able to fit any standard RV dump hose.
'06 Heartland Bighorn 3400RL Fifth wheel
Follow along with me in the The Journey of
RedneckExpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 11:24 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
I have changed my drain hose connector's to the new size on my '73 Indian and it was very easy. My connector's were threaded on to the pipe from the dump valve. I just unscrewed the old connector, bought the new size of connector at the RV store, went to Home Depot and bought the new threaded part, glued them together and threaded the new connector onto the drain pipe.
Now if you have to cut the old connector off, and glue the new one on, it will be a little more work.
Keep asking questions because some of us have "been there done that". Les
Old 12-17-2010, 11:46 AM   #7

Vintage RV Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to RedneckExpress Send a message via AIM to RedneckExpress Send a message via MSN to RedneckExpress Send a message via Yahoo to RedneckExpress
Quote:
Originally Posted by 73Indian View Post
I have changed my drain hose connector's to the new size on my '73 Indian and it was very easy. My connector's were threaded on to the pipe from the dump valve. I just unscrewed the old connector, bought the new size of connector at the RV store, went to Home Depot and bought the new threaded part, glued them together and threaded the new connector onto the drain pipe.
Now if you have to cut the old connector off, and glue the new one on, it will be a little more work.
Keep asking questions because some of us have "been there done that". Les

Given that they're having leaky valve problems and that it doesn't fit the new hose anyway, now might be the best time to simply update the entire valve assembly so that change out in the future will be a painless operation.
Old 12-17-2010, 12:38 PM   #8

Drive the rig to a local rv store and ask them to sale you a drain line. I am sure they will go out and look at it. Hope this helps.
Old 12-17-2010, 09:10 PM   #9

Didn't notice this thread before I posted on the other one so:
TJ,
Regarding your sewer hose issue:
At one time Thetford produced a 4" diameter sewer connector. Modern sewer connectors and hose kits are 3 inch. A 4" Thetford Bumper Hose Adaptor P/N 02593 will allow you to connect your 3" hose up to your sewer conector Save at RV Partscenter - RV Parts and Supply

Dave
Old 12-17-2010, 10:07 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedneckExpress View Post
Given that they're having leaky valve problems and that it doesn't fit the new hose anyway, now might be the best time to simply update the entire valve assembly so that change out in the future will be a painless operation.
So Red, if the tank is full and you cut the valve out................I want to watch that one,lol. What you need is a hose spreader.........Now I can say that, all in good fun, because Matt (the redneck) and I know each other. Les
Old 12-18-2010, 06:42 AM   #11

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 73Indian View Post
So Red, if the tank is full and you cut the valve out................I want to watch that one,lol. What you need is a hose spreader.........Now I can say that, all in good fun, because Matt (the redneck) and I know each other. Les
Naw, I think we can pull it off using that spare Y join
Old 12-18-2010, 10:20 AM   #12

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The standard fitting on both RV and hose is a 3" twist lock.. You have described it well (The four prongs)

the hose is generally too small to go on the end piece (the connector) but with patience it can be worked on (this insures a tight seal)

However the connectors are very standard I have never seen one that would not fit.

The hose, however, WILL NOT fit on the RV's outlet.. there is a special "END" copuler.. Bit like an electrical extension cord or garden hose.. You have to have the proper END on the thing before you can connect it up.
Old 12-18-2010, 01:20 PM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
OK here is what is going on with the older waste hose connectors on a '73 Winnebago, and I would think some others of this age too. Thetford made the connectors and they look to be the same size but are only 1/4" difference so, that the new standard size waste hose connectors do not work. There is an adapter here Thetford RV Sewer Hose Tank Converter Adapter= that will work but I just replaced the old connectors on my tanks so this will never be a problem again. Les

Tags
waste hose