Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-01-2014, 01:08 PM   #1

Newbie help, 1970'ish Holiday Rambler

Hi. My wife and I have been taking many camping trips this year with our 3 kiddos. We have enjoyed it so much that when my grandfather offered to give us his "fixer upper" travel trailer we jumped on it. We spent the weekend end cleaning, checking stuff over and got the exterior partially painted.
When I inspected the brakes and bearings I found most of the drum brake springs were broke and shocks are no good. I'm having a hard time finding parts for this 1970'ish Holiday Rambler and hoping the Vintage owners on here could point me in the right direction.Click image for larger version

Name:	20140830_125457.jpg
Views:	1595
Size:	690.2 KB
ID:	72640

Click image for larger version

Name:	20140831_194214.jpg
Views:	3000
Size:	257.9 KB
ID:	72641

Click image for larger version

Name:	20140831_194129.jpg
Views:	883
Size:	331.1 KB
ID:	72642
MeanDean is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-01-2014, 01:11 PM   #2

Solo Rvers Club

Glad you're aboard. Congrats on the new to you rig. Best of luck in finding the info on the brakes. Enjoy your adventures and be safe.
Retired & perfecting procrastination!
DieselTech39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 01:13 PM   #3
Community Administrator

Newbie help, 1970'ish Holiday Rambler

Welcome. You've come to the right place. Good luck.
Cliff

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 01:52 PM   #4

Thanks guys. Ya, We are very excited to get it on the road for family fun time and NO vidoe games, ipads or laptos! Haha
Old 09-01-2014, 01:57 PM   #5

Re: the brakes, a lot of times you're further ahead buying a backing plate assembly vs. buying the individual components.

Electric Trailer Brake Assemblies at Trailer Parts Superstore
Old 09-01-2014, 02:01 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
They're Dexter axles, and almost certainly the 3500# axle with a #84 spindle. They are pretty much the industry standard. All parts are still available in spite of their age. They use the same parts as an axle that was made last week. You can buy a complete brake assembly, including shoes, springs, backing plate, the whole works for less than $50 each. It comes completely assembled, so bolt it in place and hook up two wires, you're done. To confirm which axle you have measure the diameter of the axle tube. A 3500# axle tube is 2-3/8" and a 5200# axle tube is 3".

My favorite go-to place for axle and suspension parts is etrailer.com They have a staff of experts to answer any questions you have either by phone or email, and their service and prices are great. They're very nice people to deal with. I have also bought axle components from Amazon. Sometimes an even better price that etrailer.
Kurmudgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 02:14 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Here's another suggestion for you. If you have a Facebook account, look up the "Vintage Holiday Rambler Owners" group and join. Nice people and a lot of good information.
Kurmudgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 02:53 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurmudgeon View Post
They're Dexter axles, and almost certainly the 3500# axle with a #84 spindle. They are pretty much the industry standard. All parts are still available in spite of their age. They use the same parts as an axle that was made last week. You can buy a complete brake assembly, including shoes, springs, backing plate, the whole works for less than $50 each. It comes completely assembled, so bolt it in place and hook up two wires, you're done. To confirm which axle you have measure the diameter of the axle tube. A 3500# axle tube is 2-3/8" and a 5200# axle tube is 3".

My favorite go-to place for axle and suspension parts is etrailer.com They have a staff of experts to answer any questions you have either by phone or email, and their service and prices are great. They're very nice people to deal with. I have also bought axle components from Amazon. Sometimes an even better price that etrailer.
Hey thanks Jim. This helps alot! Glad I found this forum.
Old 09-04-2014, 04:52 AM   #9

what painting method did you use? turned out really nice
guitarman023 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 05:56 AM   #10

Thanks, industrial enamel tractor paint with a foam roller. Only $75 for the whole paint job.

Tags
holiday rambler, newbie