Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 07-19-2016, 09:24 PM   #1

Newbie with 1988 Itasca 426rt Class C

hey all, i recently aquired a 88 class c, and got to drive it home approx 200 miles. its got 61,000 on the clock with a ford e350 chassis. 460 with what looks to me as early model fuel injection. i paid 1800.00 for it and the previous owner went and had 6 tires installed for me (i paid for them) so i could make the drive back to west palm beach.

im very mechanical and intend on not only doing 95% of the mechanical work myself, but we have already decided the 1988 mauve interior and wallpaper has to go along with some other antiquated items.

so far it seems to be pretty structurally sound, with exception of around the exterior hatch doors. the wood surrounding it i believe has rotted due to exposure along the bottom seams. ive also found on the underside of the fwd part of the cab, and the rear vertical lower part of the exterior aluminum has small corroded holes? very odd to me, but my though is to use siliconized roof coat on the underside of the cab, and possibly a strip of thin aluminum diamond plate along the rear and some 4200/5200 to seal it up. the rear part thats damaged is at the base of the ladder and id like to have that be secure and sound.
does that sound like an adequate repair? should i do something different?
im not planning on keeping it forever, but would like to make the best decision when it comes to repairs.

i purchased a 5 gallon of the roof coat from lowes and it says a 10 year warranty (though i understand this needs to be done every 2-3 years)
i had planned on pressure washing the roof down to remove the mildew, and will use a mixture of water and t.s.p. i remember using it on an old boat and it worked great. my pressure washer is only a 1650psi electric type. any suggestions or things is should or shouldnt do?

it sat closed up for at least 2 years, and though it doesnt leak, it did have some light mildew on the interior ceiling, and the front doors. is this normal?
should i be using damp rid when i store it? blinds closed or open? roof vent open or closed?
keep in mind i live in south florida and its very humid, hot, and rains most late afternoons during the summer months.

has anyone converted there generator to run on propane?
i have been thinking about adding another propane tank and doing just that.
pros and cons? do's and dont's?

thanks in advance for all the help, and i have tons more questions, but been doing a lot of reading so i hope to answer some of them...

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-19-2016, 10:45 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Congratulations on your new motorhome! And welcome to the forum.

I don't have many answers, but I respectfully suggest you split up your posts, with a title for each subject you want to ask about - most people cruise the forum looking for titles they know about or are interested in, I think. There's just too much here to tackle in one post!

The only thing I can offer, is you can solve a lot of mold and mildew problems with MOVING air. So try to figure out you can keep the rain out, and still let lots of air flow through. I think that is more effective than the chemicals or the de-humidifiers.

Just my 2 cents -

Enjoy!

Old 07-20-2016, 02:49 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by danhannah View Post
Congratulations on your new motorhome! And welcome to the forum.

I don't have many answers, but I respectfully suggest you split up your posts, with a title for each subject you want to ask about - most people cruise the forum looking for titles they know about or are interested in, I think. There's just too much here to tackle in one post!

The only thing I can offer, is you can solve a lot of mold and mildew problems with MOVING air. So try to figure out you can keep the rain out, and still let lots of air flow through. I think that is more effective than the chemicals or the de-humidifiers.

Just my 2 cents -

Enjoy!
thanks dan
Old 07-20-2016, 04:46 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
xtreemthrtt,

Sounds like you have found a gem that needs a little TLC but these older rigs were made well and you can bring it back. You came to the right place for "Vintage" info. There are some very talented people here.

One thing, they say to be very careful with a pressure washer around windows and doors because it can cause some major leaks. That is why a lot of people hand wash their rigs.

I agree with get rid of the mauve color scheme. You can definitely do much better than that. Take several color swatches and place them inside and see what you two like.

What kind of roof does it have? Is it metal, fiberglass, or was there already a coating on it. Our roof is from 2004 and is still good. The rig was in California sitting outside for the most part. No leaks ever and we caulk it whenever it needs it. We check it twice a year and it is stored inside during the winter since we brought it to MI a year ago.

Please post pictures as that helps people to know how to answer you. I would take pictures of the spots by the ladder, the front or around the doors. People can sometimes give you a better fix when they can see it.

Check out the "Total Rebuild" thread for a lot of answers to questions that may come up on your rebuild and I would love to see your progress on this thread.

Thanks for posting, Lynne
beamisl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 10:08 PM   #5

thanks lynne!
seems as though there is tons of info here, though i keep getting distracted when searching and reading. lol
i think the pressure washer might be ok as long as i keep it away from the openings or penetrations in the roof. those i will have to do by hand. the roof has a coating on it already, and i spoke to a retired rv guy and the guy at lowes, and they both said i should go with the elastomeric coating but couldn't tell me what to use to prep other then bleach. i think thats very caustic and didnt want to chance eating up anything that could make the roof leak, or cause the new stuff not to bond to it. heres a couple of pics. i think i got a diamond in the rough for sure. price was so right i couldnt pass it up. always wanted to travel via rv. so heres my chance! lol
no instructions on the solar panel and the charger info panel so i guess theres more to learn! lol
the gray and black water drain thing has me a bit perplexed. im definately not into smelling and dealing with the brown trout! lol
thinking about spending the money on a portable macerator and decent quality hose. no slinky hoses for me! need something i can deal with as cleanly as possible!
heres a few pics.

Click image for larger version

Name:	00T0T_g2KQgfLN9io_1200x900.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	189.0 KB
ID:	133740

Name:	20160719_144250.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	357.1 KB
ID:	133741

Name:	20160719_141245.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	280.4 KB
ID:	133742

Name:	20160719_144122.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	304.4 KB
ID:	133743
Old 07-21-2016, 07:59 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
xtreemthrttl,

Have you heard of or seen "Simple Green"? It is a great cleaning product. We had a bad stain on the underside of our awning. It had been rolled up wet and it was dirt and mold and no matter what I used it was still there including awning cleaner.

I found the Simple Green and took a sponge mop, wet the mop, rung it out, and then putting the Simple Green on the mop full strength I ran the mop over the stained part. Let it sit about 1/2 hour and then got up there with a yellow / green sponge scrubber and ran it around the stained area for a bit. It came completely off and looked like new.

I used it on the inside of the basement doors and it cleaned that. Used it on the inside of the compartments and cleaned that, stains on carpet, gone. Love that stuff. If you have a particularly bad stain use it full strength.

My rig was very badly oxidized. I had to use McGuire's compound twice rubbing and rubbing it around to get the oxidization off the sides, front, back, and top. Rood looked ugly. When I was done it was mostly clean (roof). I waxed the rig (from info I found here on IRV2) with Zep floor wax. Looks so nice! Four coats on sides and front and back got 5 done. Roof I did one coat and then winter was coming. I need to finish that this summer. Some people in CG's thought the rig was new due to the shine.

The black and grey is a problem. We got a plastic container for holding everything including a box of gloves and rags. Put your gloves on, hook up the hose, Sep back as far as you can and empty. I often am inside flushing with water running from a hose. You do the best you can.

Clean all looses caulk and tape you can from the roof. Try cleaning it again (small spot) with one of the products I suggested to see if they work. I've heard of people using acetone but not sure about that. Get it as clean as you can and then coat it.

When you get to the inside please post more pictures. I think the inside would look great in blues, greys, and charcoal. Good luck. Lynne
Old 07-22-2016, 05:46 AM   #7

thanks lynne!
i have simple green, and will give that a shot for sure. we use it all the time with good results.
it sure does seem like everytime i touch something, i find something else. guess my thoughts were right when u said its like owning a land yacht.
i found the original sunroof has a big crack in it and looks like it was repaired at one time, but is now split open again. my thought was to find one that fits over the top of it, and screw and glue it into place with some scrap epdm and the roof sealant. i really dont want to sink a bunch of money into it, though i know i need to put some into it, and a lot of sweat equity.
ive been searching threads on here for info, and have found alot of useful info, and nice people!

the propane conversion i think will be last on the list, but fairly simple to do.

the grey/black cleaning and draining is going to be interesting. you sound brave! lol.
ive had my eye on the portable macerator kit. which uses a garden hose instead of the slinky. seems to be one of the cleanest ways to deal with it, but i have no experience with any of it. im reading that people pump out into there toilets at home!! im not sure how sanitary that would be, but welcome the info!
Old 07-22-2016, 08:34 AM   #8

If you plan to replace the spark plugs yourself on that 460 V8 please please please! post on just what you did to replace the spark plugs in the front of the engine. I was going to help my brother on his Class C RV and decided not to after seeing the inconsiderate engineering job Ford engineers did shoehorning that engine in place. BTW I'm 68 years old and though professionally I'm a geologist I've worked on cars and machinery my entire life.

Steve
Old 07-22-2016, 11:17 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
xtreem,

I have heard of people having a sewer hook up added to their systems at home. If ours was on the other side of the house we would but going to sell in a few years and it is more bother than the trouble is worth right now.

If you can do that, then you just hook your hose up, empty the black, go inside and run water through the toilet. We have one of those attachments you put on your hose that sprays water out the sides and gets to the walls. Just run and run the water through and it cleans it pretty good. If you don't mind wasting the water then shut the valve and fill up the black tank and run it back out and then run your grey.

When we empty the black tank I always do the following. Take a bucket, add a cup of Calgon Take me Away bath salts, one tablespoon of Dawn (blue) dish soap and fill with water mixing well. I pour it in the tank (using the toilet to do this) and add two more gallons of water. While driving this swishes around and cleans the tank a bit. I keep plenty of water in the black tank when using it to make sure nothing dries out.

I would contact Winnebago and ask them if they have the sky light. They do sometimes or can make them. Replacing that sky light could save that rig. You definitely do not want a roof leak and having a new one or replacement will protect the money you have already invested.

Post pics when done with things so I can see please. I really want to see the completed project.

Thank You, Lynne
Old 07-25-2016, 07:41 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geocritter View Post
If you plan to replace the spark plugs yourself on that 460 V8 please please please! post on just what you did to replace the spark plugs in the front of the engine. I was going to help my brother on his Class C RV and decided not to after seeing the inconsiderate engineering job Ford engineers did shoehorning that engine in place. BTW I'm 68 years old and though professionally I'm a geologist I've worked on cars and machinery my entire life.

Steve
thanks for the info steve, i will be on the lookout for that and will post up the results. though im hoping to get a mechanic friend to do that part of the work so i can focus on the other items of repair. cant be any worse then my brothers old 1980 firebird which required us to take a engine mount loose and jack the motor up to change the #8 plug!

Quote:
Originally Posted by beamisl View Post
xtreem,

I have heard of people having a sewer hook up added to their systems at home. If ours was on the other side of the house we would but going to sell in a few years and it is more bother than the trouble is worth right now.

If you can do that, then you just hook your hose up, empty the black, go inside and run water through the toilet. We have one of those attachments you put on your hose that sprays water out the sides and gets to the walls. Just run and run the water through and it cleans it pretty good. If you don't mind wasting the water then shut the valve and fill up the black tank and run it back out and then run your grey.

When we empty the black tank I always do the following. Take a bucket, add a cup of Calgon Take me Away bath salts, one tablespoon of Dawn (blue) dish soap and fill with water mixing well. I pour it in the tank (using the toilet to do this) and add two more gallons of water. While driving this swishes around and cleans the tank a bit. I keep plenty of water in the black tank when using it to make sure nothing dries out.

I would contact Winnebago and ask them if they have the sky light. They do sometimes or can make them. Replacing that sky light could save that rig. You definitely do not want a roof leak and having a new one or replacement will protect the money you have already invested.

Post pics when done with things so I can see please. I really want to see the completed project.

Thank You, Lynne
thanks for the info again lynne,
i have a shop that has a toilet, but nothing else but a garden hose available. im sure i will figure out something. ive been learning alot about the whole blackwater thing. none of it sounds appealing to be honest, but necessary.
my toilet drain goes 90 degress out the bottom of it, so the sprayer thing i think im gonna pass on. they do make a pump that has a reversible flush so you can fill the tank up and flush it out again. pricey but may be worth it. after looking at it all again, the tanks have been sitting dry for quite a while. going to fill them with clean water and hope they dont leak then drain them out again. gonna try the calgon and dawn, and maybe some ice cubes to agitate it all.

been looking for a sunroof replacement, guess i will ask winnebago if they have one, cant imagine it will be cheap from them. even if i go a little larger i can make it work. i patched it up for now just to keep the water out.

i have the cover for the ac unit off now and cleaned it all out inside and the coils too. the cover is shot and its an old metal one so impossible to find. going to use some galvanized sheet metal and repair it myself i guess. cheap and done! lol
i will post them up as soon as i can get back to it! moving this weekend.. ugh..
Old 07-26-2016, 08:51 AM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Maybe this will work. There is a PVC stick product with a hose connection on one end, and a sprayer on the other. About $6.00 maybe 3 feet long. You hook it up to the hose, and stick it down the toilet. It does a GREAT job cleaning the black water tank.

You can make your own, or available any camping store..

There is a UTube video testing all kinds of black tank cleaning methods. Long story short, ice, and most of the other methods don't do much, but the stick does!
Old 07-26-2016, 02:52 PM   #12

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Hi Dan. You can probably find a replacement skylight (not sunroof) on eBay or from an RV supply house cheaper than from Winnie. Measure your old one and do a Google and eBay search for "RV Skylight".
Nick-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 09:24 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by danhannah View Post
Maybe this will work. There is a PVC stick product with a hose connection on one end, and a sprayer on the other. About $6.00 maybe 3 feet long. You hook it up to the hose, and stick it down the toilet. It does a GREAT job cleaning the black water tank.

You can make your own, or available any camping store..

There is a UTube video testing all kinds of black tank cleaning methods. Long story short, ice, and most of the other methods don't do much, but the stick does!
i saw the vid you speak of! lol. im hoping not to go that route of dragging a hose into the rv etc.. but that option has not left the table yet!
thanks dan!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick-B View Post
Hi Dan. You can probably find a replacement skylight (not sunroof) on eBay or from an RV supply house cheaper than from Winnie. Measure your old one and do a Google and eBay search for "RV Skylight".
hey nick, thank for the info, i took some measurements and so far no luck. i was really hoping to find something a little bigger, then just cut out the old one, and install the new on over the top, leaving the base of the old one in place, as that is still water tight and good. just the top sagged over the years and made a bird bath out of it till it cracked.

Tags
newbie, class c, itasca