Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 06-18-2013, 05:44 PM   #1
No DC without shore power

I just acquired a 85 Dolphin, 24 ft, Chevy chassis. I don't get power to the house without shore power. There is a receptacle in the power cable area to plug it into but the cable coming from this receptacle ends under the chassis in a junction box. I guess it was supposed to hook to a generator I don't have. Nor do I think one has ever been installed.

There is no house battery that I can locate. I can hook a deep cycle battery to this j-box but how do I charge it without purchasing a solar panel? I am not sure if my converter has a charge feature or not.

Thanks all.

85dolphin is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-18-2013, 05:48 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Welcome to the forum and I wish you the best in researching all of your electrical systems attempting to understand what you bought and have for a RV.

I am still learning after almost 10 years of ownership.

Dr4Film ----- Richard

2002 Monaco Windsor PBT 40Ft. (R HOME) - 30Ft. 2006 Pace Trailer (R JUNK). Trailer Has 06 VUE (R TOWD) 04 Victory Alen Ness Edition (R RYDE). Full-Timer for 14 Yr's BUT now a Part-Timer. Cummins ISC-350 With Banks Power Pack and Upgraded PRXB PacBrake.
Winter Home in Flagler Beach FL - Now Staying in Dansville NY for the Summer.
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 05:59 PM   #3
Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
I am confused by the receptacle in the power cable area. Is it a 110v 30 amp female with a cable going to a J-box? What kind of converter do you have?

1988 Fleetwood Limited MH - John Deere Chassis
jmerritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 06:11 PM   #4

Gulf Streamers Club
You'll need to find make and model of your converter and look it up on the 'net. You'll need a 12 v battery source to use the RV while on the road as your refrigerator, A/C, furnace, LP, CO detectors are all controlled by 12 v. If you unhook from shore power, fridge and furnace will be dead, even though they use LP gas.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 06:32 PM   #5
The receptacle is female. I read older motor homes don't have a switch to go from shore to battery or gen. There is a receptacle your shore power cord plugs into that does it.

I will research the inverter and see what I find.

Thanks again
Old 06-18-2013, 06:41 PM   #6
B-W Industries Model 6325 25 amp. I guess it is also called Paralax Power Components. It is supposed to have a relay that automatically switches so I'll have to get into the box and have a look around.
Old 06-18-2013, 06:57 PM   #7
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Welcome to irv2.
That outlet you mentioned would be where the Gen would terminate and you would plug in your shore power cord into it if you had a GEN.
You would be the transfer switch by doing it manually.
Your converter output would be wired to your house batteries if you had one.
This link will explain your coach power systems 12v and shore power.

98KSCA, 99MACA, 03 KSCA-3740- 8.1 Chev-- ALLISON Trans, now in good hands
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 07:53 PM   #8
The Parallax 6300 Series AC/DC Power Center with converter (in bottom section) has a built in DC select relay used to either select the converter or the battery as the source of DC power. When you plug into shore power the relay energizes and selects the converter DC output. When you unplug the rig, the relay de-energizes thereby selecting the 12VDC battery as the source of DC power. Look to see if the coach batteries are located under the coach entry steps. Many mfg's hid them there under a removable access panel.

Dave in Virginia
1978 Winnebago Chieftain
Dodge M400 - 440-3
Classic Winnebago Site: http://www.classicwinnebagos.com/forum/index.php
Dave78Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 09:31 AM   #9
Ok. Found the coach battery. I crawled around under the rig until I found it.

It is underneath behind the driver's seat. Behind the body panel next to the coach. It has no top access and seems to only be serviceable by dropping it down from below. Sheesh! What a chore that will be. I guess I'll use a hydraulic floor jack and try not to short it to the chassis in the process.

Not a very good design.

Thanks for all the welcomes, responsiveness and advice. I am sure I'll be using this resource frequently.