Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 04-03-2013, 06:47 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
No output from converter

My converter was working on Sunday, but today it is not. I have 120V at the receptacle where it plugs in, but there is no power at the outlet of the converter. Is this a have-to-replace situation, or can it be repaired? It is a 45 amp, I can't recall the brand name. A storm passed through on Sunday afternoon. This may have something to do with it. Any help is appreciated.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-03-2013, 08:04 PM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Dont know if you've tried this yet, but mine goes out in storms sometimes and I have to power it down, once I had to disconnect 110 and batteries, I call it a hard reboot, good luck

Old 04-04-2013, 05:21 AM   #3

You don't mention a brand name/model, or age. Most have fused outputs on the unit itself - check fuses? Since you posted in the Vintage section I am assuming it's rather old.. perhaps one of the older "buzz" boxes....
Old 04-04-2013, 08:49 AM   #4

I believe on your model there is a 12VDC Circuit breaker panel under the front engine access hood on the drivers side (pdf page 10, figure 20 of http://www.winnebagoind.com/products...eftain-bro.pdf). There maybe 2 40amp breakers there that feed the rear rear 12VDC control panel. See if either of those need to be reset.

Dave
Classic Winnebago Site: http://www.classicwinnebagos.com/forum/index.php
Dave78Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 05:31 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave78Chief View Post
I believe on your model there is a 12VDC Circuit breaker panel under the front engine access hood on the drivers side (pdf page 10, figure 20 of http://www.winnebagoind.com/products...eftain-bro.pdf). There maybe 2 40amp breakers there that feed the rear rear 12VDC control panel. See if either of those need to be reset.

Dave
Dave, you are correct. It is an '89 Chieftain. Those breakers are OK. The converter is mounted in a "cubby-hole" directly behind the co-pilot seat. I am checking directly at the 12V outlet point of the converter, and there is absolutely NO power at the outlet lugs. I don't hear any sound or anything. It is not even warm to the touch. The case is riveted together, and I don't see any fuses, reset , or anything on the unit itself. If I drill the rivets out and open the case, is there anything inside that is serviceable? I still can't recall the brand name, but I am assuming it is original to the coach. I will try to find the brand tonight.
Old 04-05-2013, 09:13 PM   #6

1990 was the same location. The Winnebago P/N for the converter was 67762-01-000 however I cannot find what the Mfg was. Would need to know the mfg and model before anyone can advise further. Most likely either Magnetek (now Parallax) or Progressive Dynamics. My guess is it is a Magnetek 940 which was a Ferro-Resonant style of converter.

Dave
Old 04-05-2013, 09:44 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Thanks, Chief. I actually looked at the brand name this morning and KNEW I should write it down, but NOOOO! ol' steel-trap mind here never forgets. All I can remember is that is a Power.....something. I'll try again tomorrow, and this time I WILL write it down.
Old 04-06-2013, 06:13 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave78Chief View Post
1990 was the same location. The Winnebago P/N for the converter was 67762-01-000 however I cannot find what the Mfg was. Would need to know the mfg and model before anyone can advise further. Most likely either Magnetek (now Parallax) or Progressive Dynamics. My guess is it is a Magnetek 940 which was a Ferro-Resonant style of converter.

Dave
Dave, I looked at the converter today, and the brand name is Power Source, and the model number is PC 40. I hope this gives you some insight. Thanks Kenny
Old 04-06-2013, 06:25 PM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
It's a power source 40 amp charger if it's gone south just replace it out with a Progressive Dynamics 45 Amp RV Converter PD9245C

here one on ebay

Progressive Dynamics 45 Amp RV Converter PD9245C w Pend | eBay

more

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_saca...charger&_frs=1
Old 04-06-2013, 09:20 PM   #10

The Power Source PC40 was made by Todd Engineering who is no longer in buisiness. While I did locate a diagram for a 30 amp model I doubt if it would help you a lot. Like NightRiderRV recommended I also recommend you replace it with a modern 3 stage converter like the PD 9200 Series. The PD9200 series has the 3 stage functionality built in. The 9200 series pendant simply allows manual control of the 3 stages if desired. The PD9100 series required the pendant in order to have 3 stage functionality so the 9200 is the better choice.

Dave

Tags
converter