Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 09-01-2014, 01:34 PM   #1

Norcold Issue

Hi all..

I new to the RV world and I need some assistance.

I have a Norcold 662, When running on 120v the freezer cools but the the fridge wont.

I haven't run it on LP yet as I will first need to replace the orifice but I can only expect it would have the same results.

Any suggestions?

Thanks !

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-01-2014, 04:47 PM   #2

Mid Atlantic Campers
How long are you letting it run?

These are absorption type refrigerators with no compressor. They take a long time to get cold, especially if the ambient temperature is in the 80's or 90's.

Old 09-01-2014, 06:29 PM   #3

badlarry i have the same mine works fine need the manual
Old 09-01-2014, 08:48 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phobos View Post
How long are you letting it run?

These are absorption type refrigerators with no compressor. They take a long time to get cold, especially if the ambient temperature is in the 80's or 90's.

It ran for about 2 hours and there wasn't the slightest change in temp in the fridge, not even 1 degree, the fins weren't even cooler. But the freezer was nice and cool to the touch at the back wall.
Old 09-01-2014, 08:50 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by whem2fish View Post
badlarry i have the same mine works fine need the manual

Im sorry, Are you telling me you need the manual or asking if I need it ?

And thanks for the replies
Old 09-02-2014, 02:55 AM   #6

do you need it
Old 09-02-2014, 06:32 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
I just Googled "Norcold 662 troubleshooting" and found hours of reading...
H. Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 05:18 PM   #8

I also googled and found a few manuals, I read some of them but didn't find anything regarding my problem. Maybe I'll do it again..

Thanks
Old 09-03-2014, 05:25 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadLarry View Post
It ran for about 2 hours and there wasn't the slightest change in temp in the fridge, not even 1 degree, the fins weren't even cooler. But the freezer was nice and cool to the touch at the back wall.

It can takes a long from 12 to 24 hours before the fridge portion gets cold. Leaving it running and check back later
adonh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 09:58 PM   #10

I new it took some time, I certainly didn't expect it to take 12-24 hrs !
After 2 hours, the freezer was cold, the air was cold and the back wall was like touching an ice cube. But the fridge, the fins were still room temp.

I know it takes a longer period than a household unit and where the freezer was so cold, I expected to feel something, anything on the fins... I guess Ill have to wait and see.

I also read online that someone else was having the same issue. It had been suggested to him to listen for a fan.. I didn't hear a fan running. Maybe mine doesn't have a fan, I didn't see anything in the parts breakdown. Perhaps, only newer models have a fan?

I guess that I will just have to wait it out. The problem I am having with waiting is the MH isn't located where power is available, I would hate to have to run the gen for that amount of time.

I previously owned a pop-up but this is completely different.. So many questions !
Old 09-05-2014, 04:51 PM   #11

Mid Atlantic Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadLarry View Post
I new it took some time, I certainly didn't expect it to take 12-24 hrs !
After 2 hours, the freezer was cold, the air was cold and the back wall was like touching an ice cube. But the fridge, the fins were still room temp.

I know it takes a longer period than a household unit and where the freezer was so cold, I expected to feel something, anything on the fins... I guess Ill have to wait and see.

I also read online that someone else was having the same issue. It had been suggested to him to listen for a fan.. I didn't hear a fan running. Maybe mine doesn't have a fan, I didn't see anything in the parts breakdown. Perhaps, only newer models have a fan?

I guess that I will just have to wait it out. The problem I am having with waiting is the MH isn't located where power is available, I would hate to have to run the gen for that amount of time.

I previously owned a pop-up but this is completely different.. So many questions !
Sorry for taking so long to reply, I've been away for work.

Anyway, yes, it can take up to 12-24 hours for it to really get cold. My solution for a quick cool down is I always keep a few gallon jugs of water in the deep freeze in our garage.
When I get ready to use the unit I stick one of those jugs in the refrigerator section and it usually cools down within a few hours.
If you are feeling the freezer section getting cold, it's probably working.
Most older units don't have a fan, so you're probably OK there.
If you need to run the fridge someplace that doesn't have power, you could always run it on LP gas if you have any.

Alright, I think I covered everything, good luck!
Old 09-05-2014, 05:13 PM   #12

Badlarry, we have the norcold 4 door fridge. I level the MH the best I can in the driveway, turn the fridge on using electricity, set it at 9, and let it run overnight (about 12 hours or so) and it is ready to go, both freezer and cold area. I also put a little battery operated fan in the lower part of the fridge(less than $10 at CW), which helps cool everything down and circulates the air. Once the fridge is cold enough for food, and we start to travel, I switch the fridge to propane and I turn it down to 6 or 7 depending on the outside temps and where we are going. It sounds like your fridge is operating fine, the freezer is what really cools down the whole thing, and two hours is no where close to enough cool down time.
Mike and Cha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 12:22 AM   #13

Thank you for the info.

I do feel relieved.

Thanks so much.
Old 09-06-2014, 09:38 AM   #14

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Try this, Put a thermometer in it, turn it on, come back tomorrow and read the temp

I am not kidding on that "Come back tomorrow" nor am I joking. Can take up to 24 hours to properly cool it down.

Tags
norcold