Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 05-14-2011, 06:58 PM   #15

Awesome find on the fenders... Enjoying the adventure!

Chris

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-14-2011, 11:48 PM   #16

Vintage RV Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to RedneckExpress Send a message via AIM to RedneckExpress Send a message via MSN to RedneckExpress Send a message via Yahoo to RedneckExpress
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pauland Ro View Post
Wow! The truck is looking amazing! Great find with the fenders & very lucky to pick them up. Amazing what you can do with the right bits & know how

Heres to the first test drive & getting the camper back on.
Look forward to hearing how she drives & seeing the finished results.
Well, took her out for her test drive today (fenders still off, the epoxy on the new attachment points is curing right now). She drives like she used to, except she picks up every little nuance in the ground now and kicks like a mule because of the rear end being really light when empty (Only 50psi in the tires atm, rear end weighed 2125lbs when it was SRW).

I'll be screwing the fenders in place tomorrow to drive her back home, where the project will have to wait a while till I can raise some more cash for "cat hair" bondo so I can do a little body work to fill the gap between the edge of the fender and the bed so that they're one.

Then I can sand it some more, prime it and then put a couple coats of white paint and clear coat on to finish it. Then, I can add the clearance lights on the fenders, rear and cab roof.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoRotica View Post
Awesome find on the fenders... Enjoying the adventure!

Chris
Only fenders in a 100 miles.... pure luck and not a bad price.

'06 Heartland Bighorn 3400RL Fifth wheel
Follow along with me in the The Journey of
RedneckExpress is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 12:19 AM   #17

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
You might want to re-think the idea of bondo where the fenders meet the panel. I think you will find it cracking not too far down the road. Go to a store that sells auto body supplies and check with them. There are a couple of products made for sealing seams in bodies that are paintable but remain flexible. One is called (drum roll) . . . . Seam Sealer. Another similar product that would probably work well is called Drip Check Sealer. Both remain flexible to allow a small amount of movement between the parts.

The project is lookin' good. You're gonna love the stability you get from the DRW. I really think you should paint the rest of the truck to match those gorgeous purple fenders.

JP
Kurmudgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 12:46 AM   #18

Very nice job you are doing there.

Be watching for you to finish it up.
AZgl1500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 01:50 AM   #19

Vintage RV Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to RedneckExpress Send a message via AIM to RedneckExpress Send a message via MSN to RedneckExpress Send a message via Yahoo to RedneckExpress
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurmudgeon View Post
You might want to re-think the idea of bondo where the fenders meet the panel. I think you will find it cracking not too far down the road. Go to a store that sells auto body supplies and check with them. There are a couple of products made for sealing seams in bodies that are paintable but remain flexible. One is called (drum roll) . . . . Seam Sealer. Another similar product that would probably work well is called Drip Check Sealer. Both remain flexible to allow a small amount of movement between the parts.

The project is lookin' good. You're gonna love the stability you get from the DRW. I really think you should paint the rest of the truck to match those gorgeous purple fenders.

JP
How big a gap can seam seal do and is it moldable? I originally got the bondo thing from a group that makes these fenders like that, but want $600 for a pair. They basically state to put a piece of tape on the body between the fender and the body and then fill the gap with the fiberglass bondo, let it dry, then remove and sand.
Old 05-15-2011, 12:49 PM   #20

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedneckExpress View Post
How big a gap can seam seal do and is it moldable? I originally got the bondo thing from a group that makes these fenders like that, but want $600 for a pair. They basically state to put a piece of tape on the body between the fender and the body and then fill the gap with the fiberglass bondo, let it dry, then remove and sand.
OK, now I understand what you are doing. It sounded like you were going to attach the fender permanently to the panel with bondo. If I understand correctly now, you are creating an edge on the fender that matches the profile of the panel, but it will not be adhered to the panel. And now I understand what you mean by "cat hair" bondo. Sounds like a good plan. Seam sealer would not work very well for what you're doing.

JP
Kurmudgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 07:20 PM   #21

Vintage RV Owners Club
So'kay on the seam sealer, I'll likely use a bead after all is said and done to keep spray from kicking between the two.

Now, anyone know a good place to get a set of Yosemite Sam "Back Off!" dually mud flaps?
Old 05-15-2011, 08:00 PM   #22

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have enjoyed your post - well, other than that purple fender color:>)
tomwalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 08:37 PM   #23

Thor Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedneckExpress View Post

Now, anyone know a good place to get a set of Yosemite Sam "Back Off!" dually mud flaps?
24"W x 30"L Yosemite Sam White Poly Mud Flap - IOWA80.COM

Terry
tmh462 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 05:45 AM   #24

il give it some thought bondo made a product in the early 80's easy to use we used it to bond hood scoops on il get back when i can remember the name
Old 05-16-2011, 11:00 PM   #25

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomwalt View Post
I have enjoyed your post - well, other than that purple fender color:>)
It'll be going away as soon as I can scrounge up enough cash to get the material to finish the fender off so that its a nice flush fit and smooth, then it'll turn primer gray for a bit before finally becoming glossy white to match the truck bed.

Thanks . I've been past the Iowa 80 truck stop many times in my life on our family's journey between Oregon and Illinois to visit family.
Old 05-17-2011, 05:55 AM   #26

ok i remember i used to use a product made by bondo its called dynaglass
now this was 25 t0 30 years ago so im not sure its still made
dave
Old 05-17-2011, 07:30 PM   #27

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by whem2fish View Post
ok i remember i used to use a product made by bondo its called dynaglass
now this was 25 t0 30 years ago so im not sure its still made
dave
I think I've seen it . I know they have glass embedded fiberglass products, possibly not the bondo brand, but similar at home depot in a large can.
Old 05-24-2011, 04:57 AM   #28

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Holy Cow. I haven't made it to iRV2 in about a year, and the very first thread I open is Matt hip-deep in another great project. Sweet.

Matt, once complete, with all the weight back in her, she'll likely drive almost exactly as before... except be much more stable, and she'll stop better. There will be lots less "pitch" and "yaw" and whatnot. Even going straight down the road. You'll be wondering "how did I ever drive this thing before?"

This will sound silly, but once complete you're going to want to drive around town some and practice parallel parking and other maneuvers. It's not that driving a duelly is a big deal, it's just that your brain and your body are used to that truck as it was. You need to "retrain your brain" to that truck as a duelly.

Can ya tell I've done this conversion before? Twice, actually. Well worth the time, effort, and dollars. And remember... if the Express ever makes it to this part of the country, we've got plenty of room for her.

Best of luck going forward,
Dan