Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-16-2016, 04:07 PM   #1

Ford Super Duty Owner
Question Oak plywood where to get it ?

looking for thin oak or other plywood to stain went to home depot and
lowes .all they had was luan and it has red stripes cant stain it. so where can i buy thin wood plywood 1/8 or 1/4
kustom is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-16-2016, 04:15 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by kustom View Post
looking for thin oak or other plywood to stain went to home depot and
lowes .all they had was luan and it has red stripes cant stain it. so where can i buy thin wood plywood 1/8 or 1/4
Home Depot should have oak in . 1/4 or birch you can stain. That's where I purchased it.
Old 02-16-2016, 04:22 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: MotherLoad foothills approx.60 m.s east of Sacramento
I have bought 1/4 and 1/2 oak at lowes many times. Call a different store.
Full time since Nov 2012 RVM#41 Gary and Marian Hill 2001 Monaco Dynasty Jack 38' 370 hp ....If it ain't broke I can still fix it.
Like putting shoes on an octopuss, so are the days of our lives....
adamfolger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 04:29 PM   #4

Ford Super Duty Owner
might need to try other stores both in lake wales fl.did not have it went to other in
town over same thing said only 3/4
Old 02-16-2016, 04:29 PM   #5

You might ask at a local woodworker store or cabinet shop. Usually there are one or two local lumber dealers that specialize in good plywood.

As far as HD or Lowes it's a crap shoot. I keep hearing they stock it so some do but we seldom get it around here. If we get anything it is oak so good luck with it.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 05:12 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
You need to ask for "cabinet plywood". It comes in Oak, Maple, Birch, Cherry, etc. It's not solid, just a veneer.
CadillLinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 05:20 PM   #7

I don't know where you are located...in the midwest we have Menards which stocks cabinet grade plywood.
Old 02-16-2016, 05:23 PM   #8

Assuming this is for finishing, you need cabinet grade plywood. In Canada, Windsor plywood carries it. I don't know about your location (you are listed as being in Costa Rica). You need to locate a specialty woodworking supplies shop if your local Lowes doesn't carry it. Sometimes, the big box stores don't carry finishing plywoods, or if they carry an oak plywood, they carry a lower quality plywood that is not intended for cabinet purposes. Luan is not oak - it is an inexpensive form of plywood, not usually used for finishing purposes.

The type of plywood you need will depend on what your usage is, and where it is going. For cabinet doors, you'll usually want G2S (good two sides). Here is a link to an online company selling 1/4 inch G2S plywood. Premium Hardwood Plywood from Baird Brothers | 1-800-732-1697
Keen Family is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 05:38 PM   #9

Try a lumber yard. In hardwood plywood Home Depot here carries shop grade birch and maple plywood, but the thinnest they stock is 1/2" {well, 15/32" to be accurate). Also, neither birch nor maple take stain very well. "Shop grade" allows more appearance imperfections (knots, sapwood discoloration, etc.) than "cabinet grade" hardwood plywood, but it's cheaper as well.
alvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 05:57 PM   #10

I do not know where are located but "Good" stain Grade ply is getting really hard to come by. The stuff that the box stores sell is just crap. The veneer is so thin you can not sand it without going thru the veneer. I am a cabinet maker with a shop in Florida and I get all mine thru a distributor that only sells in somewhat large quanities. Where are you located?
rambler62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 06:46 PM   #11

Find a cabinetmaker's supplier in or near your local area. They will have, or can order, whatever you need. Be aware there are two primary styles of cabinet grade ply veneers, plain sawn and rotary cut, and you'll need to match whatever is currently in your RV.
ralphie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 07:27 PM   #12

Ford Super Duty Owner
hi to clear up a few things yes we are from costa rica but keep our motorhome outside of lake wales fl. at river ranch rv resort/ we tryed the stores
around there and nothing i want to do bedroom and living area from
windows down and stain it maybe they can order it ? thanks for
advice john
Old 02-16-2016, 07:33 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by kustom View Post
looking for thin oak or other plywood to stain went to home depot and lowes .all they had was luan and it has red stripes cant stain it. so where can i buy thin wood plywood 1/8 or 1/4
kustom
Any cabinet shop will have, (or can get), 1/4" thick red oak plywood... either plain sliced or rotary cut.... (and maybe white oak also).

BTW in the days before "big box stores", (like Home Depot, Lowes and Menards), put them out of business, family owned lumberyards in most towns and cities stocked 4' X 8' sheets of cabinet grade hardwood plywood, both rotary cut and plain sliced, in many different thicknesses and wood species.
(Some even cut it for you and sold you only as much as you needed).

Mel
'96 Safari
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 06:21 AM   #14

So a quick google search reveals several hardwood and lumber suppliers near your RV. Here are a couple to get started:

Products
The Southeast's Trusted Source for Quality Building Materials | Woodford Plywood, Inc.
Keen Family is offline   Reply With Quote