Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-20-2012, 02:54 PM   #1

odd oil pressure behavior

My first trip with my '93 Winnie 22' Warrior w/Chevy 454 the oil pressure indications did something odd. Of course it always indicates 80psi+ when cold however after warming up it drops to 50psi. That's about what I would expect. However returning from S. FL I was heading up I-75 when I noticed the oil pressure was pegged at 80psi. This was about 30 minutes after I was on the road. The oil pressure had been running at 50psi. After and hour or so it fell back to its normal 50psi. Any idea what might have caused this?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-20-2012, 03:12 PM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
First thing that comes to mind is a faulty oil sending unit, but since the problem is intermittent this is only a guess.

How old is your oil filter, what brand is it? What weight oil are you using?

Wanabee FTer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 03:38 PM   #3

Oil sending unit. I had two of them fail on 454. both went to 100psi and stayed there.
TombstoneJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 04:39 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanabee FTer View Post
First thing that comes to mind is a faulty oil sending unit, but since the problem is intermittent this is only a guess.

How old is your oil filter, what brand is it? What weight oil are you using?
I don't have any info on that. I bought the RV from a guy who seemed to be pretty knowledgeable and meticulous about stuff. He told me he had been RVing since 1970 so I have to trust he knew what he was doing and was honest about it. He did tell me that the oil had been recently changed and synthetic oil was used.
Old 05-20-2012, 06:16 PM   #5

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Oil sending units are cheap and shouldn't be to hard too access and replace. I would replace it and keep an eye on the pressure.

Old 05-20-2012, 06:26 PM   #6

Quote:
Oil sending units are cheap and shouldn't be to hard too access and replace. I would replace it and keep an eye on the pressure.
I'd like to do that. Where is it located? Do I have to pull the dog house off or crawl around underneath it?
Old 05-20-2012, 06:48 PM   #7

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Not real sure on that year engine. On an older 454 I had, the sender was on the side of the block above the oil filter. Yours could be there, or on the top rear of the engine.

Old 05-20-2012, 06:56 PM   #8

Quote:
Not real sure on that year engine. On an older 454 I had, the sender was on the side of the block above the oil filter. Yours could be there, or on the top rear of the engine.
Thanks John. I'll take a look the next time I visit the RV.
Old 05-21-2012, 05:33 AM   #9

My 1985 crawl under look up it is on the right side of the lower large pulley easy to get to just watch the wiring it is tied into the electric fuel pump
whem2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 06:50 PM   #10

Vintage RV Owners Club
On mine, It is just above the oil filter. Its about 2 1/2 inches by 3 inches long. Has one wire coming out the top. Be careful about the threads. Thats steel and aluminum. Use Teflon Pipe tape when putting it back in.
Wallaby Dan is offline   Reply With Quote