Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 08-06-2013, 10:18 PM   #15

My 1st motor home was a Southwind of similar vintage, an 86. We drove that thing Coast to Coast twice, Ours had a 454 Chevy, pretty simple solid motor home.Our only designe problem was the exposed waste plumbing behind the right rear wheel,it hangs pretty low & a rock hit can bend the T handle & make draining black tank difficult.Also engine access is a pain. Have fun with it.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-06-2013, 10:21 PM   #16

Tiffin Owners Club
That is a great project that reminds me of the 1987 Winni I bought 8 years ago. I paid much more then you did, took a flight 400 miles away and drove it back home. I had a great trip, no problems and it was a fun project. This RV is where I really learned alot. You have a nice looking RV, enjoy the restore and have fun..

kewag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 10:35 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnBoyToo View Post

...my first step is fumigation to kill ALL the current home dwellers that you know are in there !

That's what the boot was in there for.
Old 08-07-2013, 06:14 AM   #18

Do you have the manuals I do if needed PM me I have a 1985 southwind will be going on a 1000 mile trip Sunday be sure to look at the roof at the front and rear they were known to have problems
Old 08-07-2013, 07:09 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mekanic View Post
Wow that one SEEMS from the pics to be good buy at $500 bucks.
Just how long is that thing.

also a tip if scratchs are too big of a deal one of the best cleaners is "soft scrub".
that stuff really works.
I believe its 32 or 34'

Quote:
Originally Posted by whem2fish View Post
Do you have the manuals I do if needed PM me I have a 1985 southwind will be going on a 1000 mile trip Sunday be sure to look at the roof at the front and rear they were known to have problems
Im not sure if manuals are in it or not, right now I have to find a work/parking spot, then ill move her and tear in.
There is extensive water damage in the bedroom. And im sure as I gut her ill find more. The plan is to go ahead and completely replace the roof, then gut her inside.
Old 08-07-2013, 07:43 AM   #20

The pics say the back is gone (the reason for the $500 value), but depending on the condition of the area forward of the bedroom, you may be able to get away with just doing the back?

The roof on it now uses steel tubing, which is likely destroyed in the back. We made new rafters from reasonably clear 2x4's? They were left full width in the center 2' of their length, but tapered to 2" from there to the ends. This leaves kind of a rounded profile to the roof, and when used on 16" centers, plenty of strength. Best of luck!
Old 08-07-2013, 10:16 PM   #21

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahicks View Post
The pics say the back is gone (the reason for the $500 value), but depending on the condition of the area forward of the bedroom, you may be able to get away with just doing the back?
Maybe turn it into a toy hauler if your into ATVs and/or SxSs. OR if you want to tow a trailer (with a Jeep or car) shortening up that back bedroom into storage will allow a hitch to be that much closer to the rear axle where it will drive better.
(RVM#26) THE U-RV 94 F-700/24 foot U-haul box home built RV
Mekanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 01:42 PM   #22

Bump for a years worth of progress? Lol howsb it goin?
Old 08-22-2014, 03:24 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by TravisNuwa81 View Post
Bring it to iowa and ill give ya $500. That things huge!

It might cost him 500 for the gas