Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-12-2012, 08:00 PM   #1

oh my gosh!!

I want to post here because I think you guys/gals are going to be the only ones that can appreciate my enthusiasm over what I believe is a real "find" for me. I've found the neatest Van motorhome that's been stored for much of the time since it was new in '78. It has 43,000 original miles on it and it's a Dodge xplorer, 19'. I am so excited because the price is right and it looks in mint condition, never been smoked in, not a scratch on it.

I know I have to have someone with knowledge look at it for me so it may not be all I "dream" it is but it was love at first sight, LOL!! I am almost 60 and plan to travel from Spring on, as long as I can. I hope to take tons of photos and basically work for temp services across the U.S. for extra money.

Feedback on the Van welcome, I can take the cons and well as the pros denise
nwcountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-12-2012, 08:07 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Welcome, And lets see some pic's. had a dodge back in the 70's was a great machine.

Mike
Old 11-12-2012, 08:31 PM   #3

I just think it is what I've been hoping for! Something small and easy for me and within my budget I have a friend that really likes Dodges and says if it's been taken good care of, it will take me many miles, I hope he is right denise

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfire1339 View Post
Welcome, And lets see some pic's. had a dodge back in the 70's was a great machine.

Mike
Old 11-12-2012, 08:33 PM   #4

Yep let's see some pictures !!! As with any vehicle of that age, there's lot's of things that might need attention.. Good thing is a 78 Dodge will have parts readily available almost everywhere !! And no crazy computer to deal with !! (old Mopar nut here)
Best of luck to you !!!!
Monkey

opps, you just posted pics,,,, Thanks !!!!
monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 08:35 PM   #5

Looks Sharp !!!!
Old 11-12-2012, 08:47 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Sure looks good from here.

Mike
Old 11-12-2012, 08:52 PM   #7

I'm sure you'll get plenty of help here, but tires, (look at date codes) , belts, hoses are the first main thing I would address if it was mine... And maybe water pump (engine type) ...
Old 11-12-2012, 09:18 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Howdy and welcome to iRV2! That certainly looks like a clean RV in the photos. I'd say get the mechanicals checked out and go for it!
Old 11-13-2012, 06:35 AM   #9

Denise,

Your van conversion looks really nice. Now, you will want to be sure that all of the RV functions work (stove, refrigerator, furnace, water pump, etc.). If you are really lucky, there may be manuals for these items. Otherwise, there may be internet information on the various manufacturer's websites. Also, you may find a local chapter of one of the RV clubs with some members that can offer some hands-on help.

Of course, the iRV2 community will also be here to assist...

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwcountry View Post
I want to post here because I think you guys/gals are going to be the only ones that can appreciate my enthusiasm over what I believe is a real "find" for me. I've found the neatest Van motorhome that's been stored for much of the time since it was new in '78. It has 43,000 original miles on it and it's a Dodge xplorer, 19'. I am so excited because the price is right and it looks in mint condition, never been smoked in, not a scratch on it.

I know I have to have someone with knowledge look at it for me so it may not be all I "dream" it is but it was love at first sight, LOL!! I am almost 60 and plan to travel from Spring on, as long as I can. I hope to take tons of photos and basically work for temp services across the U.S. for extra money.

Feedback on the Van welcome, I can take the cons and well as the pros denise
2005 Safari (Monaco)Trek 28RB2, Workhorse W20, 8.1, Allison 1000 5 spd, UltraPower engine & tranny, Track bars & sway bars, KONI FSD, FMCA 190830, Safari Int'l. chapter. 1999 Safari Trek 2830, 1995 Safari Trek 2430, 1983 Winnebago Chieftain, 1976 Midas Mini
George Schweikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 07:59 AM   #10

Oh wow, You guys/gals are great! Yes, I need to make a couple calls this a.m. to see if I can get someone to come look those things over, drive it etc. I'll check out the tire dates since those look good but can't tell from here how old they are Thank you all and I will keep you posted!!
Denise
PS I will try and see if there is a Vintage Motorhome club in the area or maybe at least someone that knows older model cars etc.
Old 11-13-2012, 08:55 AM   #11

WOW!!! That is a great find. Those vans are spectacular! My sister had one for a short time (Due to size of family they upgraded to a pull behind). The van was great, plenty of power, comfortable, etc etc etc. You will not be disappointed. I would do fluid changes and tires. Then go enjoy!
Funrover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 10:20 AM   #12

Love it! I hope it checks out well and you get to enjoy many happy times. Keep us updated!
Selah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 10:52 AM   #13

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Congrats on your find.

I traveled full time in a conversion van back in the day and really had fun.
Enjoy.
jmugsshow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 10:58 AM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Wow! What a great find!
I am always happy to see someone get what they want!