Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 05-05-2009, 03:34 PM   #29

Vintage RV Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to RedneckExpress Send a message via AIM to RedneckExpress Send a message via MSN to RedneckExpress Send a message via Yahoo to RedneckExpress
Well, it appears that you, infact, do NOT have an aluminum roof, but instead, a galvanized steel one (The rusting evident on the underside). Anywhere that ceiling is sagging the ceiling's gotta go.

Personally, if it wasn't for the rain, I'd go outside and undo the gutters and pull the staples holding the outer skin on and carefully roll it up and set it aside and redo the whole roof frame in one go. Then roll the roofing back on and reinstall and reseal.

Material costs wouldn't be very high vs time and you can rebuild the roof a bit stronger than it originally was.

'06 Heartland Bighorn 3400RL Fifth wheel
Follow along with me in the The Journey of
RedneckExpress is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-05-2009, 04:16 PM   #30

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Well, the pictures say a 1000 words. One thing I see good is the wooden rafter viewed from inside the bathroom looks OK. Was the instulation wet when you opened up the bathroom ceiling? The picture of the main aisleway floor looked as if your pulling it up also, or is that just stuff from the bathroom ceiling.

Quote:
Coating over anything but bare metal is not advisable.Don't distort the roof with heat.It's just hard work and tons of elbow grease.Really no short cuts available.Just trust me on that advise
When you say this do you say he shouldn't coat the roof at all? Or should a primer over the bare metal first be applied, then a coating of light colored (white) roof coating.

IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 08:27 PM   #31

Well I guess I didn't say that very clearly.Yep-bare metal than primer than coat with Snow Roof Systems.Sorry for not stating that better-my bad.
Old 05-06-2009, 05:56 AM   #32

Vintage RV Owners Club
ok but what about caulking the seams and around the vets and skylight? , do I do that first before I put the coatings on? this is what I have for the roof that I got from the RV store Dicor lap sealant, 501 KSW sekf-leveling lap sealant for the seams and I got Kool Seal Reflective roof coating, elastomeric roof coating, thats what I have for the roof, did they give me the wrong stuff???? so are you saying that I put the kool seal on first then use the lap sealant to go on the seams after??
Old 05-06-2009, 06:12 AM   #33

Vintage RV Owners Club
No I am pulling up the floor where its rotted so I can replace it, its supposed to rain today bummer, all I have left to scrap is the front and back seams, thats got alot gluey stuff and rubber stuff and tar stuff that isnt comming off real easy at all, the rest of the seams had some alumin color stuff that came off not to hard,When I cut open the bathroom celing panel, the insulation was wet so I pulled it out, that one seam in the metal seems to want to sick so that its laying so that water will collect right at that seam so I think I am going to have to put a 1x1 across that seam to get it to stay up and in place so the water will run off properly to run off the back end of the trailer, its kinda like a roller coaster, most of the roof has flatened out then when you get to that seam above the bathroom it dips down then back up, so if I dont do something to keep that seam up like its supposed to be the water will puddle along that seam,the hard part is wondering what it lookied like before the previous owner did all this silly crap to it, I look at these things I find and wonder, gee what did it look like before they got ahold of it, LOL, I cant seem to find any manuals or pictures of this trailer actually looked like so its a guessing gane for me, and you guys know these things, darn shame cant get the husband to help with anything on this so I am on my own with my 5 kitties, LOL
Old 05-06-2009, 06:57 AM   #34

Vintage RV Owners Club
OH you are right, husband was kind enough to look at the roof and he said yes its galvinized steel the roof is made of , ok so I guess that changes things a bit, so now I wonder if I have the right stuff to put on the roof, but I am not at the point yet that I can do that sitll have some scraping to do at both ends of the trailer, so I didnt goof yet, lOL , Whew! I am alittle nervous about this project but this trailer might have to keep me and my furkids as a home if I loose my house so its gotta be done right all I have is you kind people here to help me, I have so many questions for you all to, this trailer will be a nice " home sweet home" for us, I just thank God I was able to get a trailer in the first place and also, I have always been a hard worker and not scard to work hard and get dirty, LOL. On the floors, I started ripping the soft spots , got lucky on that part to, seems only a few layers down on the boards got wet the floor structures are ok and in place , there are 2 boards that I think I will have to replace which wont be a big deal, another treasure yet to be discovered is the front of the trailer inside, I am almost afraid to open that up , however they put some paneling over what what there, and the bottom corners on the outside front,well the screws have nothing to catch to so it can be secured back in place, gotta get it all closed up and sealed, this area I'm in has been plaged with mice problems and I dont want any of those getting in ,I am almost certain we will all cringe at those pics, I hope we get lucky there to and maybe just need to rebuild some of the framing wood, gonna rain soon, my tarps are not the best but hope good enough to keep the rain off the roof, its all I have so just gotta work with what I have for now, we could work on the inside while it rains so I'll be inside today and get those pics on here in just a few hours, so if you can look back here later today for the pics on the new treasures that I find, LOL, One day we are all gonna look back at these pics and think wow what a wreck it was but then say wow look at it now, wow, and you all will have helped transform it from rags to riches, and hey if the trailer will be my home me and my cats can travel and we can all meet somewhere and celebrate the fruits of our labor,actually that trailer will be a comfy, cozy home for me and the cats, they are my furbabies, hey want to see them you can check my furkids out here at http://www.catster.com/family/509203 , I love my babies and will do anything to keep them even if the trailer will end up being our home, I am almost certain the husband will go his own way, but thats ok, as long as I have my babies, my trailer and something to pull it with, I am happy. Thank you all for sticking with me and helping me with the trailer, we are depending on you for the advice and expert info to fix and save the trailer and us to. Chris
Old 05-07-2009, 10:59 AM   #35

The method to seal a roof is the following.

Scrape clean

Wash with TPS

Caulk the seams

Prime and then apply seam tape-then prime on top of that.

Apply two coats of kool roof or snow roof letting each cure 24 to 48 hrs.

I am not sure if kool roof or snow roof is rated for a galvanized roof.Much of what you have seen me post came from kool roof or snow roof tech 800 number and the rest from Lorna & her husband a member of this forum.Do a search on your computer and call the provided 800 number.I couldn't find it again.

I am a moderator on a unrelated web site and that does take up abit of my time.So I post as much as I can to help out

Gary
Old 05-07-2009, 04:45 PM   #36

Vintage RV Owners Club
Unhappy More treasures found, LOL

well since its raining, I decided to go inside and be brave and see what is behind the extra panneling on the back wall, golly looks like so far there will be some rebuilding going on back there even though I havent pulled down the whole wall, so the back wall and some of the floor gonnna have to be done I posted a few more pics didnt pull the whole wall down but just the little bit I did expose says alot, LOL, http://community.webshots.com/album/...host=community , Chris
Old 05-07-2009, 04:47 PM   #37

Vintage RV Owners Club
ok good deal, I just found out that the roof is galvanized steel so I just didnt know the proper order of sealing it and calking it , Thank you for your help though, Chris
Old 05-08-2009, 02:35 PM   #38

Vintage RV Owners Club
OHHHHHHHH its raining inside to, I was pealing away the back wall alittle bit, lost my balance ended up with me putting my hand on the celing at back and I hear slushing, no, oh no, there is water in there, ahhhhhhhhhhhh, so I cut into that panel on the celing, and darn about a gallon of water come out of there, so I guess i will be doing a celing to, ahhhhhhhhhhhh, I could just cry I thought maybe just at both ends it was wet, I am really bummed now , I added some more pics and you can cry with me so I guess should I assume the rest of the celing is wet to right ? http://community.webshots.com/album/...host=community
Old 05-08-2009, 03:01 PM   #39

Vintage RV Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to RedneckExpress Send a message via AIM to RedneckExpress Send a message via MSN to RedneckExpress Send a message via Yahoo to RedneckExpress
*Shakes head*

Didn't you put a tarp over the trailer? You just undid all the sealing on the roof. If you didn't the water will just come in at any opening possible.

Go back through the thread and follow my instructions. Take the entire aluminum roof off and do it the right way the first time. You may have to get friends to help. You're looking at needing some table saw or circular saw time, and a few trips to the hardware store for new luwan board and probably some 2x4s to rip down to reinforce the roof structure.
'06 Heartland Bighorn 3400RL Fifth wheel
Follow along with me in the The Journey of
RedneckExpress is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 07:00 AM   #40

Vintage RV Owners Club
yep your right its gonna have to be done right, I have tarps up there but there not the greatest, and lack of money isnt gonna help either, end of the month last unemployment check so I am getting nervous about how much money I can spend on this but there is no turning back now, this trailer has to be home sweet home, I have the tools and skills, but I am on my own as far as fixing it, no help, its raining today but maybe I can get all the celing panels off and I got the back wall taken off so I can at least try to do some things inside while it rains, in the front, on both corners are open but there is nothing for the siding screws to catch to any more its all rotted out, oh this is gonna be alot of work, I guess I better invest money in another tarp that will keep the rain out, weather is not helping raining for 4 days then 2 nice then rain again, so the celing panels are Luwan? where do you get celing panels for trailers?
Old 05-09-2009, 11:11 AM   #41

Oh my! I don't feel so bad, now. But I certainly feel for you. Well, let the demo begin! First, get some decent tarps considering all the rain you're getting to prevent further damage. Take lots of pics as you go so you can see what was where and rebuild. Maybe you'll want to make some improvements to the layout as long as you're doing it? Good luck. I will be following your progress, and as I continue with mine, maybe I'll have some tips.
Old 05-09-2009, 07:09 PM   #42

I suggest the tear-off of the roof should be your very last option when all else seems it wouldn't work.You "could" lose this trailer if your not careful how you remove the roof.I couldn't put this is any stronger words.You will need to strap-brace,the side walls so you don't lose plum and have a warping issue that no matter what you do,can never get it back.This trailer is tons different than a truck camper with spans that are longer as a example.There is hundreds of RV's who's roofs are repaired effectively with the process Lonra and I have suggested.As you tear out sections I want you to seriously consider what effect you are having on that wall,section,etc,before you do the tear-out.Brace/strap/tarp each step.
Remember those walls are as old as what your replacing and WILL MOVE unless you take precautions to prevent it.I do remember a aggressive remodel that ended up destroying the project.Total loss.Go slow,think out what you are about to do..............