Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 09-13-2009, 11:45 AM   #71

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quick question what exactly is the long rectuangluar vent for on the roof, it lines up to where the fridge is under the shelf on top of fridge then up to the roof is that vent, whats it for does it have to stay open? the fidge thats in there right now is esectric and just behind that is the vent panel for that so is the one on the roof , whats that for does it have to stay open? looks like they cut th space in the celing for it however the shelf below it is closed off , seems it would only let cold air in the shelf its in, anyone got an idea on this? that vent doesnt seem to have a purpose for being there

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-13-2009, 12:32 PM   #72

That vent is to allow hot air and combustion gases from the fridge to escape. The one outside allows fresh air into the fridge cavity. It should be open and working.

Old 09-13-2009, 09:34 PM   #73

You say it is electric.Has the refrigerator been changed to a house type electric unit?If it is the vents could be closed.If it an absorption type they have to stay open.
BOB
Old 09-14-2009, 07:59 AM   #74

Vintage RV Owners Club
its been changed to an electric fridge, I can understand the vet if that were gas fridge the celing was cut to leave that open under the vent to, I would think that the door vent on the outside, side of the trailer right behind the fridge would be enough of a vent, also the shelf just on top of the fridge goes all the way to the wall and blocks that portion of the vent this is the way it is now took some more pics of the vent on the side right behind the fridge, and a pic looking up from that backside of the fridge and the cubord that the vent is in on the inside and openend the door so you can see where it was cut for that, but since now its an electric fridge do I still need the roof vent because right now it just seems to let air inside but only to that shelf above the fridge that I can see , I was thinking that since the back panel of the fridge is vented I could just close the top roof vent and keep the cold out , if I have to live inthe trailer in the winter thats gonna let alot of cold air in thats why I ask, my thinking is that if there is a panel right behind the electric fridge do I really need that vent from the roof to be open, the shelf in that cubbord is to the wall and blocks it right now anyway,took more pics, there at the end of the album, look again and evaluate it again thanks, 1974 Coachmen Cadet pictures from outdoors photos on webshots
Old 09-14-2009, 08:06 AM   #75

Vintage RV Owners Club
that I understand and it does make sence, right now there is an electric fridge in there and the cubord just above the fidge has that shelf going all the way to the wall that blocks that vent anyway, so I am not sure if I cut cut the board to unblock the path of the vent or not and with electric fridge is that nessary at this point , seemed weird that the celing was cut open where the roof vent is but then the cubbord board goes all the way to the wall which is then blocking it , so its a matter of how it should be, not sure how much trouble it would be to get that board out of there if I have to cut it for an opening , triying to not allow any access for mice to come in anywhere , thats the next order of business is go over the camper and try to make sure there is no way mice can get in sure be a shame for them to tare up all the electrical and other hard work I have done up until this point LOL
Old 09-14-2009, 08:43 AM   #76

Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Appalachian Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
Normally the venting behind the ridge would go from the intake vent on the side of the trailer through to the top vent on the roof. Think of it as a "chimney", a draft is necessary for proper absorption refrigerator (gas-electric) operation.

If you never intend on replacing the electric fridge with a gas-electric, I would seal the roof opening and leave the cupboard as-is. As you mentioned, the wall opening is enough to vent the heat from the compressor.

Where are the electric fridge's coils, I could not see them in the pictures? They need to have some venting so the heat will escape, maybe into the trailer, especially for winter? They could be in the walls, I had a chest freezer that was like that.

From the pictures, it looks like the cupboard was extended after the electric fridge was installed.

Great job on your restoration!

Stewart
Luv2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 10:40 AM   #77

Vintage RV Owners Club
well as far as I know its a 2003 kenmore dorm model free standing refridgator freezer madel 461.98472 890 havent found any info on it , I didnt think about the coils since you mentioned it maybe they dont hae the bunch of coils like the regular models , maybe just that one little one since its a dorm model ,maybe its just that one small coil I pluged it in a regular wall socket and I domt see where here are any coils on it, just gonna leave that one in there and not put one that runs on gas in it , I pluged the trailer in and running everything on house current right now, it seems to work ,maybe that door behind it is enough for the heat to escape so maybe I can just close off the top vent to not let cold air in in the winter, I may loose my home and have to live in this trailer and the winters herre are burtly cold to , wont be long before I am through, still have to test the hotwater tank, fire that up and the furnace and the stove/oven and make sure that all works to . Thanks for the heads up on the project, it has been alot of work but is woth it , just looks so much better now and most of the really hard tasks are finished now to glad I kept pluging away at it , Id like to finish putting that insulation stuff to cover the celing it might be alittle bit tricky to put in celing boards on this one, but it kinda looks cool witht the reflective bubble wrap type insulation in to , I like that stuff, easy to work with, then just a few odds and ends to finish, clean it up and decorate, oh gotta fix the window glass thats broke but thats no big deal since I used to be a glaizer doing glass work, LOL, I took a pic of the diagram on the back of the fridge to if ya want to look at that , maybe its only supposed to have that one little coil
Old 09-15-2009, 12:46 PM   #78

Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Appalachian Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
With that piece of plywood blocking the way, I doubt the vent was doing any good at all. I'd seal the roof vent.

The coils must be built into the sides and back, the way my old chest freezer's were. You can verify this by feeling the sides when it is running, they should be warm (at least a little). If so, I'd try to make sure there is air space between the sides and the walls on either side of the fridge.

One caution, the fridge label has the words "FREE STANDING ONLY" on it. This may have been put there by lawyers, but I'd keep an eye on the temperatures around the back and sides to make sure nothing is getting too hot, especially since you may be full-timing in it soon.

Stewart
Luv2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 07:06 AM   #79

Vintage RV Owners Club
I pluged in the trailer and gonna have that running all day and I think I will look to see whats around it to, looks like there is space on the left side and some styrophome on both sides of it , gonna see if I can pull that cover and look closer, one side is next to the bathroom shower wall and that wall is wavy so gonna pull that off and I should be able to see the side of the fridge, I think, LOL, let ya know later and I will take pics so we can all see it to
Old 09-17-2009, 03:01 AM   #80

Vintage RV Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to RedneckExpress Send a message via AIM to RedneckExpress Send a message via MSN to RedneckExpress Send a message via Yahoo to RedneckExpress
Those little units usually have the coils in the bottom of them now with the compressor.
Old 09-27-2009, 07:46 AM   #81

Vintage RV Owners Club
found it , its just that little tiny coil in the back by the compresser, thanks,
Old 09-27-2009, 08:00 AM   #82

Vintage RV Owners Club
Alright, now that the roof is none, next problems, I got some propane, figured I'd test the hot water tank, furnace and stove, well could only get the stove jets to light, thats it, didnt hear any hissing for the gas flow to the hot water tank or the furnace, no telling when either have been lit, could be years , well I thought that I should have water flowing if I turned the hot water taps on, but no flow at all so I figured I had to have the hot water tank lit first couldnt get it lit , when I hooked the hose up got water out of the cold taps so that works but non flowing if I turned on the hot water taps, this has no pump , there is water getting into the tank cuz I can drain it from the plug on the outside but I dont see that the water flow comming from the hot water tank come out of the tubes to go to the, I guess thats a on/off valve and through the system, right now getting colder , was wondering how I am going to winterize this trailer system with out a pump and how to get antifreeze though the pipes , I do have an air pump that is used to blow up the air mattress but thats it, any ideas? still to nervous to try to tow this trailer anywhere and my Bronco is getting fixed be a couple of weeks on that to,wish I knew someone aroung here that could come over and look at this and tell me why no water flows thought the hot water fausets , I did open both propane tanks just incase thats what your supposed to do, not sure if you can use 1 at a time or not,
Old 09-28-2009, 08:54 PM   #83

Vintage RV Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to RedneckExpress Send a message via AIM to RedneckExpress Send a message via MSN to RedneckExpress Send a message via Yahoo to RedneckExpress
Is there a independent shutoff valve for the hotwater output line?
Old 09-29-2009, 01:07 PM   #84

Vintage RV Owners Club
the very last pic I added shows how it is set up looks like 2 valves, the one on the top is the hot that valve is just a quick turn left and right not like a regular valve the cold one is like a regular valve, never did get the hot water tank lit or get the water to flow out of the hot water valves in the sinks, it might be that there is no pump hooked to it, not sure at all, am I supposed to put antifreeze to run in the hot water tank to? guess I will need a blow out plug, what ever that is and a way to get antifreeze through the system and do I pour it down the drains to? this is a first for me , didnt hear the hissing of propane to the hot water tank or the furnace, did manage to light the burners on the stove though and the pilot on the oven but that didnt come on , this is another all new to me thing, can wait til spring to figure out the problem with getting the oven,hotwater tank and the furnace to light up , no telling when the last time they were lit either , and somehow gotta find a way to keep the mice out to