Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 07-28-2010, 08:55 PM   #1

OK, so what's THIS thing?

Looks to be a regulator of some sort:

(click on pic for larger size)

It is installed on the frame back next to the fuel tank, and appears to be in the fuel line - hard to tell in cramped quarters. Our 27 foot '88 Winnie P30, GM 454 has the in-tank pusher fuel pump, and I suspect what's pictured is some sort of fuel PSI regulator - but if so, is it something that needs to occasionally checked and adjusted - if so, how?

I know the in-tank pump is in running condition, I can hear it when the ignition is switched on - but have not verified it is actually pumping fuel properly - and it would probably be a good idea to know exactly what that gadget is, before doing any routine check of other items in the fuel line between the tank and block-mounted mechanical fuel pump.

Any help?

Gary - K7GLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-28-2010, 09:32 PM   #2
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Looks to me like a dead end. Does the pipe come off the bottom of fuel tank? Maybe its a drain to empty fuel tank.

RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 10:01 PM   #3

It does look a lot like a Holley fuel pressure regulator:

And the inlet is on the bottom (as pictured) with an outlet on each end.

tderonne is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 10:36 PM   #4
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
There you go we sure have some smart RVers on irv2.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 06:37 AM   #5

Thor Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary - K7GLD View Post
if so, is it something that needs to occasionally checked and adjusted - if so, how?
That's one of those things that "if it ain't broke, don't fix it". If you're not having any problems with fuel delivery, leave it alone. Put down the wrench, and step away from the regulator...

Terry
tmh462 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 11:31 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by tderonne View Post
It does look a lot like a Holley fuel pressure regulator:

And the inlet is on the bottom (as pictured) with an outlet on each end.
BINGO!

Thanks, I'm sure we are both correct - only question remaining, in my application, what should it be set for - and by what method?

Reason for my interest, is that these P30/454 combos reportedly frequently suffer from fuel starvation, leading to poor running under load and potentially burnt valves and pistons - which is supposedly why the in-tank helper pump has been installed to assist the mechanical on the engine block.

In my case, engine runs great in all but heaviest load conditions - long steep mountain grades - the sort we have LOTS of all around us. In those situations, I detect an erratic engine stumble/miss that very much resembles fuel starvation. My 454 has low, 59K miles - and has had a new/rebuilt carb installed, along with all new fuel filters (wonder if previous owner was looking to cure the same condition I am!) - I have set base ignition timing at about 12 degrees, and detect absolutely NO pinging under any conditions. I have yet to check spark plugs or wires - but really sorta doubt that is the source of my stumble/miss under load.

I plan to check fuel PSI, both into and out of the block-mounted mechanical fuel pump - but am unsure as to what the proper setting would be INTO the mechanical pump - and am loosely assuming about a nominal 8 PSI or so into the carburetor. Someone correct me if I'm wrong - and any info as to what the PSI should be into the mechanical fuel pump would be helpful - I'm guessing around 3-4 PSI - but really don't want to "guess", if someone has more accurate info - especially on best method to check, and then adjust the above pictured regulator if that becomes necessary - I have gauges for PSI - but dunno what engine operating parameters would be for proper setting of PSI - at idle, or at some specific engine RPM or load?
Old 07-29-2010, 11:43 AM   #7

ill chime in a little now this was old school i ran a 351w ford on strip 8500 rpm 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th would go through 1/4 mile at 7500 rpm now this was a small block i ran 7 psi never ran out of fuel not sure what pump you have at the tank mine came with a holly red (11 psi) it started leaking i replaced with a holly blue (14 psi) i then set the regulator at 7 psi it might be a little high for a q-jet but runs good
dave
Old 07-29-2010, 01:46 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by whem2fish View Post
ill chime in a little now this was old school i ran a 351w ford on strip 8500 rpm 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th would go through 1/4 mile at 7500 rpm now this was a small block i ran 7 psi never ran out of fuel not sure what pump you have at the tank mine came with a holly red (11 psi) it started leaking i replaced with a holly blue (14 psi) i then set the regulator at 7 psi it might be a little high for a q-jet but runs good
dave
Hafta keep in mind this setup has *TWO* fuel pumps - the electric one inside the fuel tank, then the regulator this thread discusses - a couple of inline fuel filters, and THEN the OEM GM mechanical fuel pump on the engine block.

SO, the issue is, how much PSI should that regulator be set at to feed into the engine mounted mechanical one...

I agree that around 7 PSI or so at the *carburetor* is probably about right - sure don't want to exceed the capability of the carb needle valves and start overflowing the float bowl...

One thing remaining to do, is verify that the in-tank pump is getting power after the engine fires up and the control switch at the oil pressure sensor activates - I know the in-tank pump fires up for a few seconds when the ignition is first switched on - dunno what is happening after that...
Old 07-29-2010, 02:28 PM   #9

How funny as I type I am working on the same thing,had to drop the tank to replace the fuel pump and was wondering if I should replace the regulator and with what kind
BTW: what number is the regulator and what psi range do I need.Small World
Old 07-29-2010, 02:54 PM   #10

Workhorse Chassis Owner
John, What carb are you running?
Old 07-29-2010, 04:05 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimElliott View Post
John, What carb are you running?
"JOHN" who?
Old 07-29-2010, 05:20 PM   #12

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary - K7GLD View Post
"JOHN" who?
Sorry, I meant you.....

Now what carb?

Jim
Old 07-29-2010, 06:55 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimElliott View Post
Sorry, I meant you.....

Now what carb?

Jim
I suspected you meant me - but wanted to be sure.

Brand of Carb? DERN, it's been a while since I had the air cleaner off - not an easy job with all the extra plumbing - and I forget for sure, but THINK it's a Carter, a 4 barrel with the smaller "normal" barrels - and the much larger barrels for maximum power.

But regardless of specific brand, as I recall, they all specify about the same inlet fuel PSI - and of course, jet size and float level come into play as well...

Sure hope chasing this down doesn't turn into a major chore... :(
Old 07-29-2010, 08:41 PM   #14

Workhorse Chassis Owner
It sorta sounds like the Rocheter quad with the larger back barrels but then again maybe not...
A quad can be modified with a much larger (stock) fuel inlet feeding the float which on carbs that are on the edge (fuel/no fuel) under high RPMs and loads that drain the smallish fuel bowl rather quickly...
Mine has that mod plus the stock manual fuel pump (A.C. Delco) has been replaced with the high flow (110 GPH @ 6 PSI) Edelbrock 1722 pump...End of problems.

Jim