Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 06-08-2015, 12:01 AM   #1

Old Dexter Axle...can I go with modern electric brakes?

This is a 67 Dexter single axle that looks to have some form of electric brake system. The wires have been cut to each hub and the system is non-operational.

I would like to go with a modern electric brake system if possible.

The brake hub assembly looks to mount to the axle by four bolts equidistant from each other and 2 7/8" on bolt center (see bolts in last picture). My wheels look to be 5 x 4.5 with a the wheel centering the axle hub. I've got lug nuts that are actually lug studs that thread into the hub assembly.

Any help or advice is appreciated...

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-08-2015, 01:28 AM   #2

Just do it the easy way and be safe. Get a new axle (@$120) and then add new brakes both sides. You might also call around to salvage lots if you are near one and get a complete used axle assembly cheaper. Measure from backing plate to backing plate for length. Looks like you have a 4" drop axle.

Old 06-08-2015, 08:24 AM   #3

The folks at etrailer are very helpful with retro fits.
DonDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 11:21 AM   #4

Well, the axle is in such good shape, I would rather just keep in and update the hub assembly's.

I did call Etrailer and found that my hub bolt spacing is correct to mount a new modern brake assembly. I just need to get a baring part number so they can tell me which brake drums to buy. That will have to wait until this Saturday.

10" Nev-R-Adjust Electric Brake Assembly for 3.5K Axles - RH Dexter Trailer Brakes 23-469
Old 06-09-2015, 12:32 AM   #5

If you can save the axle GREAT! Bolt on the new hubs and brakes and hook up a brake controller in your truck and haul @$#. Go somewhere and enjoy the TT.
Old 06-10-2015, 09:54 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffy View Post
If you can save the axle GREAT! Bolt on the new hubs and brakes and hook up a brake controller in your truck and haul @$#. Go somewhere and enjoy the TT.
A majority of time, this trailer is going to be pulled by my 99 HR Endeavor. My sister got tired of deploying/stowing the queen couch in my coach every day when we take our long trips to Disney or wherever. It's made her very happy to have a little trailer out back to just hop into at night....heck, me too not having to go around the bed every morning, as I'm an early riser...
Old 06-10-2015, 11:43 PM   #7

Sounds like a good plan to me. have a great time!
Old 06-13-2015, 08:26 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonDee View Post
The folks at etrailer are very helpful with retro fits.
X2 on Etrailer. I bought a conversion kit for my rear Dexter axles on my motorhome. Converted from drums to disk. Not sure what kind of money you are looking at, but the best systems are electric over hydraulic with disk brakes on the axle. The response times from disk brakes are so much better than drums. Drums use the rotation of the axle to increase braking force. As a result, there is a delay before the brake starts to do anything. Disks respond instantly.

Tags
brake, brakes