Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 08-09-2013, 10:24 AM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Old Open Road motorhomes

Does anyone remember the old Open Road motorhomes from the early 70's I believe? I had a friend that had one in 76. They were kind of boxy. I never see them anymore, once in a great while in a field somewhere, but never on the road. Anyone have one they still use?

Barry & Sue Miller(extended RVer's, 6 mos + per/year)
04 Journey 39K, C-7, 330 hp, towing: 02 Dakota 4X or 2013 Ford Edge, Aero 5050XL
doorguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-15-2013, 02:40 PM   #2
Thor Owners Club
I have seen a couple, one about 3 years ago. I may be mistaken, but I believe that the Allegro (Bob Tiffin) are the manufacture of the Open Road motorhome

Tom and Nancy
1998 Four Winds class C, 31ft, V-10
2008 ford Taurus in tow
tom41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 03:55 PM   #3
A colleague of mine when I worked for a NASA contractor in Virginia, in 1971/73, had worked for Open Road. They were located in Florida someplace, maybe Sanford. From the stories he told about the way things were done, I'm not too surprised they went out of business.

There didn't seem to be much engineering effort. One story was that the first time they built a new model Class A on a GM chassis, they drove the rig down to the local Midas mufler shop when the body was installed and said "Put an exhaust system on this thing". Midas did, and they drove it back to the plant, took photos of the installation, then removed it. Using the photos and the first example on the bench, they made production drawings for future manufacturing.

On problem they had was convincing customers they really were "new", particularly customers in the western states. GM had contract drivers take the bare chassis from the plant in Detroit and drive them to Florida. Once the rig was built, OR people were given the job of driving them to the dealers. He took one to San Diego and it had almost 5000 miles on it before the customer ever saw it. I believe they started taking a new speedometer with them on the trip and replacing the original one at the dealer's shop.
Frank Damp -Anacortes, WA,(DW- Eileen)
ex-pat Brits (1968) and now ex-RVers, as of 08 Dec 14.
frankdamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 07:11 PM   #4
I look for Open Roads and Mobile Travelers, since that's what my parents had when I was a kid. I saw an Open Road about a year ago, it was pretty run down, but driving. Out of the 5 MH's they had, the Open Road was my parents' favorite.
My Low Buck Diesel Power (how-to) site:
nevrenufhp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 07:27 PM   #5
I remember them. They were sold as an entry level coach.

They had a '76 model that was red, white, and blue!
1997 37' HR Endeavor, 275hp Cat, Freightliner
03 CR-V Blue Ox, Ready Brake
ahicks is offline   Reply With Quote