Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-28-2007, 10:47 AM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
"Vintage Campers"
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-28-2007, 06:39 PM   #2

Vintage RV Owners Club
Interesting site there, 007!! New too!!
Wallaby Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 09:18 AM   #3

Checked it out and registered. Look for Gnuman.

Dodge 440 in an M500 chassis
Sanjay R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 01:47 PM   #4

Well it looks like I may have to put up a second thread of my build.......lol

Freebie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 05:06 AM   #5

I have an 86 holiday rambler presidential; it has 3 large deep cycle batteries, about 4-5 years old. They don't hold their charge for more than ~ 2 weeks.

So I have decided to replace.

Do I need all 3? Yes, I know that the more I have the longer I can run some of the appliances.

The reason I ask is that I am now having trouble getting my furnace and hot water to fire up unless I am fully plugged in with the old batteries...

Now I bought a replacement RV deep cycle at Sams on Saturday. I installed, leaving the old batteries off. The hot water and furnace would not fire.

Then I plugged in, still with only using the new battery. The hot water fired up but would flame out after about 10 seconds and then would fire up again but then flamed out..; actually the hot water furnace had flame out problems. And in this configuration (one new battery and plugged) the furnace would not come on except for the fan.

I am working with too many variables.

1. Does anything think I need 3 new RV deep cycle batteries in order for the furnace and hot water to fire up?

2. My propane tank gauge says 3/4 full...but I filled it 3 years ago; possibly I am low on propane. However, the stove flames fine and the fridge works on propane..

3. On the rv furnace...what could be the problem. I have removed the grill (on inside of RV)...I can see everything...I removed the igniter, cleaned and blue it out, sanded the electrodes..still the furnace would not fire up. I can see that that the unit is pretty easy to remove...are parts still available? ... it is a hydroflame brand; should I take the furnace to an RV repair or can I test anything my self with the furnace out.

So, several littlie annoying problems. To start should I get two more batteries and then work from there....thanks for suggestions

HEMI
Hemi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 06:05 AM   #6

Water heater furnace ignition problem solved but still have the hydrofurnace problem

The problem was in that small rotating flange (it was seized up owing to age) on the burner head, just where it nearly comes in contact with the gas head. I removed the burner head tube, loosened that flange so that I can rotate it, put it all back together.

Through trial and error I rotated the flange until the ignition fired up remained on. Then I shut off the water heater, disconnected the two (old) deep cycle batteries but left new deep cycle connected and also cut 110 volt plug in power. I hit the water heater turn-on switch, the burner lit right away. So, it appears that the water heater furnace will ignite with one new battery (I thought it should).

Still can't get the cabin hydroflame furnace to lit. Fan comes on but burner will not ignite. So, I will remove the unit. I am trying to decide if is cost effective to get it repaired or just buy a new one. With a new one I will have to build a small bit of duct work that will run from the furnace hot air output to the RV hot air manifold system. Any ideas/suggestions? HEMI
Hemi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 06:02 AM   #7

Location: Atlanta, GA. , South Beach, FL. Naples, Fl , Coral Gables,FL.
Great info , and you will find out the problems Good luck
george henry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 05:57 PM   #8

Vintage RV Owners Club
Hemi, The Converter isn't putting out enough amps by itself or the changeover switch is not working. I can run all my stuff on one battery and now have two but the main reason I think this is that the sail switch which is on your furnace is not working or fan is not turning fast enough or you may have to take the furnace apart and vacuum the fins out on the fan and housing. With no battery's on what does the output voltage show when you are plugged in?? If lower than 12 volts your converter isn't working.I would suggest a newer model like my Intel Charger! This model doesn't use a switch for when you plug in.It works by just giving you what charge you need for the load on demand. My model has a 80 amp output and is a four stage charger. There around the $200. pricey but You get a ripple free 12 volt supply that is good for the electrics in the fridge, water heaters and furnaces..also the antenna amp and if you are using a 12 volt TV. With three battery's I would go with the 80 amp model. I have two 31 series 12 deep cycle battery's. I also have a 55 watt solar charger as well. The solar won't keep you up all the way but helps so I don't have to use the generator as often.You should start a thread on the vintage forum so we can see you more often, the capt. said it!!
Wallaby Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 06:32 PM   #9

We've been fortunate to have acquired a 1984 Prevost Country coach. It's in pretty good shape and enjoy it very much. We don't use the furnaces as they are considered to be unsafe by today's standards. Instead, we use plug-in heaters when needed. Of course, we keep it in the South due to the high fuel prices these days.

Check out our profile here so we can chat back and forth.

Happy travels to everyone!
prevostman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 09:46 PM   #10

Commercial Member

Vintage RV Owners Club
Hi there--

there are many things that can cause the furnace not to fire--what model of hyroflame is it???-- that would help in diagnosis---

i have not seen any voltage readings in any of the previous posts?????--you must have a good meter to test these propane appliances --- keep in mind that it takes a minimum of 11 volts to open the gas valve on propane appliances-- ( i.e. refrig/water heaters/ furnaces) so if you have a "slow" blower motor with too much drag it can cause a monster voltage drain on the furnace not allowing it open the LP gas valve-- also as previously posted you can have sail switch problems, too little air output shuts the system down for safety reasons-- clean the blower wheels and vacuum out all dust and dirt (animal fuzz)-- best i can do for you at this time--

To the proud owner of the Prevost --- MY DREAM COACH!!!! but do not cast those furnaces aside just yet ---- they can be used very safely if properly serviced and checked --

however ALL GAS FURNACES WASTE VAST AMOUNTS OF ENERGY OUTSIDE!!! so do the gas water heaters, just go outside and feel the "exhaust" when they are running-- half your BTU's from the propane are lost into the air!!!
Old 04-16-2009, 09:55 AM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
My 86 yearold F-I-L has and still uses a 1975 Winnebago Brave 19ft. Class A with a 318 dodge engine. Except for changing the fresh water from a pressure system to a demand system and replacing the water heater the rig is all original.

Every time we go camping we get a lot of people that want to look at it.
KC1BUD is offline   Reply With Quote