Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 06-03-2012, 03:33 PM   #1
Vintage RV Owners Club
Old screws falling out.

What is the best way to keep your vintage screws in their vintage spots after time, some of mine from the air conditioner cover and other places seem to not hold anymore. Larger screw? foil? toothpicks? I'm afraid to make new holes without really trearing things apart to see what I'd be getting into... wiring, more holes to be sure are leak proof, etc.

Martha (AKA RVM45), Bob, and Bess the Border collie
22'Honey Sportscruiser on a 1988 Ford Econoline.
Sometimes towing a powered Parachute.
MartySQ is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-03-2012, 06:47 PM   #2
I would think that coating the screw threads with a thin layer of silicone would work with just about any material except dry rotted wood. I did this with a few screws that held my kitchen ceiling fan trim in place and they haven't vibrated out since I did the repair (about 9,000 miles ago).

'99 Bounder 30E with V10 and '06 Wrangler tow (no more dolly )
trainsktg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 08:21 PM   #3
Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I have found that using a piece of plastic weed eater string work well for loose and sometime stripped screws. just cut a small piece , slide in hole and run screw in. works great
bcbrowne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 08:25 PM   #4
I am presuming that these are wood screws, dip a toothpick into elmers glue, put toothpick into hole and break off even with surface. Repeat until screw is tight.
American Tradition 42R-Cadillac SRX Blue Ox Koni 5050XL MCD Scangauge D Samsung rf197
Fulltime since 2012
336muffin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 06:38 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
It all depends on what you are screwing into ... wood, aluminum or plastic. On metal, I will often put some JB weld in the hole, let it dry and then drill a new pilot hole an put in a new screw with a dab if silicone to make it weather tight if needed. For wood, match sticks or tooth picks with some wood glue. For plastic, the weed eater line does good, sometimes with a dab of glue that will work with the plastic.

Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|Full-Time! - 2012 6.7L Ford Crew Cab Dually -2013 HitchHiker Champagne 38RLRSB - Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 08:19 PM   #6
screws not staying tight

Use stainless steel screws and Lexel caulk(ACE Hardwear) or on line. I have heard of others using locktite on the screws before reinserting.
sam-3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 04:04 PM   #7
Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
On metal, I will often put some JB weld in the hole, let it dry and then drill a new pilot hole an put in a new screw with a dab if silicone to make it weather tight if needed.

Now that sounds like a good idea. On one of my skylights I should have done that.

PatStab is offline   Reply With Quote