Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 04-18-2012, 05:20 AM   #155

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedneckExpress View Post
Yer trailer is more suited to being towed by a full 3/4 ton from the sounds of it, being over on yer axles is not a good thing on a half-ton as all it takes is a retaining clip letting go on that axle shaft and off comes a wheel!
A upgrade to 3/4-1 ton suspension is with the 454 is the way to go.The frames are the same.

And Dan,I am going to remind you,there is a difference between someone who is towing marginally and a old pro like you towing right.Sure there are people out there doing things that is a drive on the edge of their seat on top of the steering wheel the whole time,but you know that isn't the place to be.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-18-2012, 05:57 PM   #156

Vintage RV Owners Club
Yep, I don't know if i even will do any towing. i will make it that way but may never do it. It would be at least a year before i could do any kind of travel. One of these days i may have to get down closer to sea level but i will cross that bridge when i get there. For right now, I will be using it for storage. i have it packed up in the living room. That leaves the bedroom and kitchen to where i can work on it. That's the main area that i have to work on. And maybe the bathroom. Right now, i am in a holding mode. Funds... need some! Will be most likely this fall before i can work on it anyway. i have a lot of work to do on the truck yet, And pay some bills. At least i can get out of the kitchen without killing myself. We have been loading the kitchen till it was on the floors everywhere. Deb is a real pack rat. For the time being, its out of the way. I don't think i will be doing much more till it gets cooler anyway. We are in the high 90's now. They say 100's by Saturday. Time to stay cool!! Beat up the a/c again!!! Anyway I have some of the work done to get the engine out. Probably will take the engine out this fall too. Right now i need to get the title work finished. Then i want to reseal the roof. No leaks but don't want to take any chances. I will be doing that maybe next month. I will see how hot it gets... Later,Dan

Wallaby Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 07:33 PM   #157

Vintage RV Owners Club
It has been really warm here so it took me two days to do a couple of things to the truck. I pulled wire yesterday for the cab lights and after getting them hooked up it has a short somewhere so i will have to run new wire and try it again. I pulled wire to the toolboxes and now have night lights inside so i can see what i am looking for at night. I am going to start the wires for the trailer cord maybe tomorrow but will have to see how hot it gets. You can't handle the mid days heat and sun. So you go inside and stay cool with the fans, swamp cooler or a/c. Then around 4 or so you can work back outside when the shade hits your work area. Tomorrow is supposed to get over the century mark. If it does it is the earliest time ever. We usually don't see these temps till sometime in June. They say we have a cool down coming starting Monday....I have a shot of the cab lights but not with them on...yet....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	042012170549.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	277.3 KB
ID:	20218  
Old 05-05-2012, 07:53 PM   #158

Vintage RV Owners Club
Angry

I took a couple of weeks off to just rest. We needed to move the trailer over to a storage site and clear a regular site. I don't have water or electric running in it yet so why use a full hookup site. I hooked up the trailer and pulled it around to where the space was, backed it in and went to crank up the levelers and as it came up i got something of a surprise!!! That stupid hitch/ Battery box that they had on the trailer had taken out my toolbox!!! I will show the pic's below. the shots were after i had taken the sledge hammer to it so i could get the lid closed and hope watertight. I don't think i will be rebuilding it. I think it is too far gone. Its warped and really busted inside and i will have to pry the drawers out so i can get too the tools. Just what i didn't need.........
I have a extra shot that shows the stupid hitch. The back corners of the battery box was what did the damage. I was swinging the trailer around to get it into the parking spot. So the corners were what nailed it. I couldn't see it till i had it cranked up and was getting ready to pull out from it. That hitch is going away...All the way!! I WILL change the thing around so it is like the newer ones!!! Anyway, Thats where i am right now. They should hang the idiot that made the design for the hitch system that was on the trailer. Bad design for sure. When i towed the trailer up here from the guy that i bought it from, I didn't have the toolboxes in the truck yet. Thats why i didn't know it till this time. Back to the drawing board...... Later, Dan
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	050512170830.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	230.7 KB
ID:	20728   Click image for larger version

Name:	050512170841.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	296.2 KB
ID:	20729  

Name:	050512170851.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	245.3 KB
ID:	20730   Click image for larger version

Name:	032812133534.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	372.2 KB
ID:	20731  

Old 05-07-2012, 08:15 PM   #159

Vintage RV Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to RedneckExpress Send a message via AIM to RedneckExpress Send a message via MSN to RedneckExpress Send a message via Yahoo to RedneckExpress
Dan, if that's its normal spot, you're still going to have that problem even with a regular 5th wheel hitch. You cannot have a tool box or anything else in the dead space behind the 5er hitch and the end of the bed to give the hitch room to work.

Tool box needs to be up in front near the gas tank.
'06 Heartland Bighorn 3400RL Fifth wheel
Follow along with me in the The Journey of
RedneckExpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 08:12 PM   #160

Vintage RV Owners Club
I disagree, They make 5th wheel toolboxes that have the same height and width as mine. No, This is the fault of the manufacturer! I see the standard height for a 5th wheel hitch as 16-17 inches high. The toolbox is 12 inches. If the hitch is reverse from what we now have there would be no issue.m With that screwed up hitch on it, you would be right. I still think they should have taken that lone nut out into the wasteland And Waste him but good!!!!
As i am planning to remove that stupid hitch and replace with what it should have, that will eliminate the issue for good. They make several different 5th wheel tool boxes out there. I made my design from one i saw on the Sears site. Same Measurements and all. But i used steel and not aluminum. I saved ever 400 bucks building it myself! I may have to replace this one. i worked for over 5 hours and could get it closed pretty good but the box latches will not lock for some reason. The hinge is bent bad and most of the rivets have been pulled out. Most of the work right now is damage control. Will see if i can get the link to it put here. Dan

UWS FWB58 5th Wheel Box--Tools-Tool Storage-Truck Boxes
Old 05-09-2012, 02:40 PM   #161

Vintage RV Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to RedneckExpress Send a message via AIM to RedneckExpress Send a message via MSN to RedneckExpress Send a message via Yahoo to RedneckExpress
Dan, I did a search on that toolbox and I can't find one that is mounted in that fashion that is as tall as yours, most are either low profile boxes or have a notched center that is lower than the rest.

'06 Heartland Bighorn 3400RL Fifth wheel
Follow along with me in the The Journey of
RedneckExpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 07:42 PM   #162

Vintage RV Owners Club
The one on that red truck is really the same as what i have. They say there in the 12 inch high range. I like the low boy type as the ones with that vee just make it harder to get into it if i need something from the toolbox when i have the trailer attached. That truck is a short body too!! That is why he has the front toolbox down into the bed. Mine is a long body and gives me more room so i can have my box up on the rails. I found a company that makes a conversion kit for that old style hitch. They cut the old off and replace it with a kit that allows you to use a standard pin and then mount the hitch receiver to the truck. Will be checking that out. Another thing. I found another truck that is i think is a 67 or 68 but looks like a 3/4 or one ton model. Want to try and catch them home and will see if they want to let it go. I could put everything i have into that truck if it isn't in to bad of shape. Later, Dan
Old 06-28-2012, 04:20 PM   #163

Vintage RV Owners Club
Red face

Well, Folks, We have had to make some decisions about the 5th wheel and truck and the motorhome. Last week i took a motor out of a truck to replace the front seal on the transmission and the rear seal on the engine. After that put it back in and finish. It took me a week to do that. I am still paying myself for doing it. Just like it would be with the hitch and motor to put into the truck, would be way to hard on me. We are going to use the trailer for storage and when we have sorted out everything in the trailer that we want to keep, we will get rid of that trailer. We are going to keep the truck. I still have the flat-bed trailer. We are also planning to make our last trip in the coach to the east coast somewhere. We don't know where yet but am looking at places from Texas to Florida. Somewhere in that part of the country. I need to get down lower in altitude and more humidity as well. Where ever we end up with will be our last trip in the motorhome. We don't know if we will keep it or sale it. This winter will be fix the coach for the trip and get the trailer ready too. The trailer just needs to much work for us. I would love to have a home that much bigger but maybe if we get a home... I am closing this thread and will restart a thread on the coach again. i want to thank everyone for the help and encouragement. Will be starting the finishing work in the fall in September most likely, Dan
Old 07-17-2012, 06:25 PM   #164

Dan I like the 250ci motor, I had one in my 75 full size van. I hated the one piece head & intake on the motor. I did put a set of headers on it that were made by Clifford Mfg. It mad a world of difference in power on that 6 banger.
Old 07-19-2012, 04:59 PM   #165

Vintage RV Owners Club
Yep! That 250 can't be really put down. Mine is getting tired. It has used a bit of oil but i had some leaks too. I have the leaks done i think. The oil hasn't changed in the last couple of weeks. No more puddles on the ground. Its a keeper for sure. Am thinking about rebuilding the engine. Should be easier to do a 6 than pulling a V-8 out and back in. I have a th400 tranny to put in it and i can get all the brackets and pulleys i need to put the a/c and the p.s. and alt. too. I really love that old truck. I think i can do the motor for somewhere in the $150. range. The hubs and brackets are $130. Have been checking for a PS steering box. I am still still waiting for the folks that have the other truck to make up there minds on that other truck body. Hope to know soon. I hope i can get it. It has a good ps steering box in it. I can use the sway bars and if i can i might switch over the axles and put them on mine. That would help me if i do decide to tow with it later. Its a GMC 25, that is a 3/4 ton model. The body is rough. I can use the parts should i change my mind on that little six banger. I saw heads for a V8 but couldn't see the block. There is a 4 speed tranny there too. Might sale it. Anyway, I won't be doing anything much till fall. Its just too hot and right now humid to work outside. I guess thats all for now. Dan