Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-07-2012, 07:36 PM   #15

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Congrats on the new rig.
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-07-2012, 08:02 PM   #16

Vintage RV Owners Club
Thanks, I have a feeling my journey is just starting again! But then, that's the fun part. Without fun why would we do this anyway?? Looking forward to first trip maybe next year.Dan
Wallaby Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 09:40 PM   #17

Dan-you made the move.Nice.
fleamarketer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 06:23 PM   #18

Vintage RV Owners Club
Thank you fellow!! Glad to see you back here, How are you? Yes we care. Don't want to loose friends ever here.
I took off the weekend and today as well. I am sore and wanted to let my body heal. I think its part cold and then trying to do things without the air tools. Hope that will be over with tomorrow. I also need to do something to the exhaust system I need hangers, and a tailpipe and a piece welded onto the front pipe. It was Bent and I need to remove it and weld a piece into it. I have the stuff i need but getting... motivated. I also need to figure out a noise that sounds like a frame creaking. It will do it and stop it..on and off. Can tell if it is the exhaust or something else. Will fix the exhaust and then see if it goes away. Next would be playing around with the front end.I don't really feel anything much front end but you never know. Better safe than sorry. Later, Dan
Old 01-09-2012, 07:03 PM   #19

Vintage RV Owners Club
Yer cab and bed bushings are likely shot Dan. I know the rubber bushings between my truck cab and my frame are getting worn out and my truck's not near as old.
'06 Heartland Bighorn 3400RL Fifth wheel
Follow along with me in the The Journey of
RedneckExpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 07:19 PM   #20

Vintage RV Owners Club
Thanks!!!! I never even thought about those! That gives me something to check out while under there putting a exhaust system on. Thanks!! Dan
One other thing i will add, is we have been paying $40.00 a month for a storage shed and we will be paying $40.00 a month to keep this thing on the property, so i am getting all our stuff out of that storage shed and putting it in the coach when we move out. Will save me another $40.00 bucks a month. And will also give me more time to get the stuff out of the coach and into the trailer or truck. Sounds like a good idea..Even my DW likes that idea. She has been kinda on the fence and dragging her heels a bit thinking that we won't have any extra room in the 5th wheel over the coach. I hope i win that issue!! I like it as i can use the funds and it gives me way more time to get the stuff out of the coach and since it is right across the drive, She can go threw the stuff and figure out what she needs to get rid of. I know what i would have but this isn't about me...This is just hers!! I don't have anything in the shed but a small box of things we have for the coach, if that is really called "mine". Right now, Everything i own is in the truck or coach itself. Her stuff is everywhere but the truck! Later, Dan
Old 01-10-2012, 05:41 AM   #21

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
I feel your pain Dan, My DW uses all the cabinets,drawers etc inside for "her" stuff. I'm limited to some of the basement storage and there isn't much on this older model. Well I suppose its easier then arguing! besides she's "allowing" me to do a few things to personalize the entertainment system for her convenience.
Old 01-10-2012, 06:35 PM   #22

Vintage RV Owners Club
Know how that is. I am moving the stuff out of the shed into the coach. It will save us over $40.00 a month. And i can use that for whatever i need. My biggest thing right now, How to be able to carry the tools i have in the big box. I have 4 small boxes that i can put in the tool box right behind the cab but that isn't enough for the tools in the Big Red Box!! I am thinking about doing some kind of redo on the box and see if i can lower it to about 12" high. I was looking at toolboxes and they are crazy for the prices. Most were over $500.00!!!! Nutzsoid!! My friend has one of the plastic boxes that i may try and make some kind of tool box back there. I think the main body is steel but the lid is plastic. I may be able to make a top for it and use that. Will have to see about that one. I would love to have those Diamond tread aluminum boxes... Way out of my range.
I am working on it again tomorrow. Didn't do too much today. I made a battery box bracket for the box and that is done but the piece of all-thread and wing nuts. Will be getting that as soon as possible. I am having a issue with road wondering. I think it is the idler arm. That is the only place i see any slop. No biggie. Easy fix.If it had grease fittings it would have lasted longer. That and the pitman arm are the only ones with no grease fittings. The rest has grease fittings. It don't have a body mount bad. They don't look or feel bad. I used my big prybar and they are all intact. What i did find is the Speedometer cable rubbing against the steering shaft And when moved would give that sharp sound like it was bad metal against metal. I found that they had never tied the cable to the frame after they fixed the damage from the accident, so it just needed a fender bolt and no more noise. I still need to do the exhaust system but had to run a quick trip and when i got back i just didn't want to do anything else. Tomorrow is another day. Later, Dan
Old 01-11-2012, 05:42 PM   #23

Vintage RV Owners Club
I finally got the drivers side of the bed down to almost fine. I was hoping we would have the parts today so we could get the air compressor back up and running. Tomorrow i will work on the rest of the bed and get it close so i can get it ready. I have a tool box for right behind the cab. There are two other boxes that he has. One is metal and the other has front sides and bottom of metal and plastic for the rest. Between the two, I am making a 62" long, 24" wide and 12" high box. It will be weatherproofed and should hold everything i have in the big red tool box. It and the other tool box will be made ready to paint and then when i do paint the truck, I can paint them at the same time. I have looked everywhere for a metal 5th wheel box for the tailgate area. All i could find was diamond tread aluminum. No one has a plain steel tailgate box! I really don't want that so i will make my own! I will try and take a couple of shots of the two boxes i will make into one and the other one i have too. I will be doing all this kind of work for the next couple of weeks easy. It will be great when done!! I have only one prayer, That no one hits it and totals it out! I think i am with the paint up to around 6000 bucks worth on the price of the truck and all the goodies on it. A long way from the 600 buck price i paid for it!
On a diffrerent note, I measured the cab for the captains chairs. They will fit and i have room for up to 12 wide center console! Now that i have those measurements, i can go scrounging around to find one and another thing is a cable shifter for a automatic transmission. I also need a crossover for the back mount on the transmission. The three speed has no tail mount at all. Its got two mounts on the bell housing. Will be changing that all around. I have looked at the automatic mounts on the 67-72 model year config. really strange. Can't for the life of me wonder where they came up with that idea?? I hope they hung the fool!!
I guess that is all for today, Later, Dan
Old 01-13-2012, 04:29 PM   #24

Vintage RV Owners Club
I went to battle with what will be my new toolbox. I have the front one under the one i am building for the tailgate. This box was metal with plastic sides doors and center piece between the doors. I got all the plastic off of it and i have the markings where i need to cut the metal down. The top channels will be turned upside down and welded back on and that way i will have a slide drawer. The sides and lid will be made out of 16 gauge steel.
I have that and the truck almost ready to where i need air. The parts we need for the air compressor haven't shown up yet! It has put a hold on anymore work till we get air. The plasma cutter, The spot welder, the da's and air file all need air to function. I have pictures on the picasa site. I am thinking about doing the grinding on the door panels and fenders to see what i will need to fix it. That will be tomorrows job. Dan
Old 01-13-2012, 08:22 PM   #25

Vintage RV Owners Club
I got a good question for my truck. I am trying to figure out if i have enough truck for the 5th wheel. The truck is to old for any of the sites on-line to get real weight limits. I have found from the 70's that you can tow about 7000 pds with a 1/2 ton truck. That was not a 5th wheel though. I can't seem to find anything about this year. No owners manuals. On the door panel it shows gvw 5000 pds. Thats curb weight. That don't tell me about how much load on each axle and or how much pin weight i can handle on the fifth wheel. If i go with the newer truck weights, I should be able to handle 7000 pds. and that works out to something like 1600 pin weight. The weight is from the tag on the trailer. I wish there was a site that would help with older model year vehicles. Each axle on the trailer is rated at 3500 pds. X2 7000 pds. Trailer max weight is 6800 pds. From what i see i could use some help on the rear axle. I already changed the axle ratio. I am thinking about adding air bags to it. Next would be driveshaft not sure what loading it could handle. Transmission is not a problem. They have been designed in a truck option to handle up to 19500 pounds. I got that from the spec sheet on a p-30 chassis. Looking at frame it looks like it is stouter than a newer 1500 chassis. That don't really help much. My friend has a 1/2 ton Chevy 1500 with a 305 with fuel injection. He tows a 38 foot 5th wheel. Don't know the weight of the trailer but that model says it can handle 7200 pds.
I think the biggest issue would be axle weight and actual tow weight on that truck. The hitch is fine but the truck is the question. Am not checking the engine out now, but this truck had a V-8 originally. It may go that way again.
I wish my friend would sale his 3/4 ton 72 to me but that is a lost cause.....
Old 01-13-2012, 08:58 PM   #26

On my MH which is a 1981 P30 I got ahold of Chevy's archives records division and they sent me the specs.
Old 01-14-2012, 03:50 PM   #27

Vintage RV Owners Club
Thanks Fellow, I will try and check that out. Later and hope you are doing better, Dan
Old 01-16-2012, 04:46 PM   #28

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gary, that link didn't work to well. Still have no spec yet. It has 3400 a axle. Thats 6800 pounds. take 20% off for the pin weight and i come up with 1600 pounds on the hitch. Now if i can find out the weight i can haul on the back axle, i can get it done.
Good news is the Air Compressor is fixed. Yea!! I can use air tools again!! With that i should be able to finish the tool boxes, and maybe most of the body work. I want to paint it in March. Then i can start in on the trailer. Sometime in February i should be able to switch out the motor home and get moved in to the trailer. February should be a fun month. Looking forward to that!
I am going to try and find any information on the weight of the what the truck can handle on the trucks rear axle. That one is bugging me....