Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 01-21-2012, 07:23 AM   #43

might want to watch craigs list i saw a 38 ft not a tall one around $5000. but it to far for you in dfw area

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-21-2012, 06:42 PM   #44

Vintage RV Owners Club
Yep, i have been checking in the Tucson/ Phoenix areas. Some of the ones i have seen are having a upside down finance. Cost more to pay off the loan than what its worth. They are the ones we see week after week. Anyway, it will happen when it does. I got the bed done on the right side so i am down the the cab and front end yet and the tuffbed for the inside of the bed. Am getting thin on Materials so i will have to slow down some and do some of the other things i need to do. I am starting to build a special exhaust system for it. Using a 21/2" main pipe and then at the muffler it will go into a 13/4" pipe and then a chrome tip that is 21/2" . It will come out just forward of the tire. Should give it a little bark. Later if i get a V8 for it i can do a duel exhaust for it too. I have made them before. The ones on the coach i made. Thats 4" pipe. And its on a 454. Anyway shots are on the Picasa site and one here, Dan
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	012112122215.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	280.6 KB
ID:	17257  

Wallaby Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 07:14 PM   #45

Vintage RV Owners Club
Exhaust system done. Good thing i have that done! I am about medium well!!!
Only one thing left that i can do. I have a flat spot when you are winding up the engine and shift gears. The choke is as closed as i can as any more than where it is, it won't open all the way. The issue is most noticed when it is in between cold and hot. That's where the choke is open but the engine isn't warm enough yet. It has a electric choke on it. As that warms up it pulls the choke open. Not to sure if i can do anything other than put a manual choke on it. I think that would work but i never seen such a cold natured Chevy before! I have had many Chevy's before but this one is the most cold acting engine i have ever had!! I have also heard some Pinging when it is warmed up and running at speed. I am hoping that when i install the automatic transmission in it will not be as much of a problem. Would be nice to figure out why it is doing this before i put the tranny in. That and bodywork are the two biggest projects on the board right now. I have a th400 but have been trying to find a heavy duty 700R4 for it. Still holding out for that. If not i will install the 400 in it. Right now thats down the road a bit yet. I have other things i want to get finished first. Later, Dan
Old 01-25-2012, 11:14 AM   #46

Have you checked for vacuum leaks in the intake syystem. This can cause both conditions you have. A water squirt bottle will work, but what I like to use for checking for vac leaks is a hose on a propane torch. Need to be careful while doing this but much safer than spraying starting fluid around the engine.
IIRC this is an inline 6? They were notorious for cracked intakes.
Old 01-25-2012, 07:23 PM   #47

Vintage RV Owners Club
I haven't ruled it out. I found some of the leaks. mostly carb coming loose or a vacuum line cracked. I did user carb cleaner to find leaks but somewhere i have a vacuum gauge i need to find. Maybe will go fishing for it tomorrow. I haven't done this yet but am thinking about maybe taking the six banger out and giving it to someone out there for a anchor!! I don't know.. Could switch out the engine in the motorhome. I am not thrilled about that. Too much like work. I may do that, but want to get all the other stuff done first. I could do that when i am ready for the auto trans to be installed. One thing about it, I would be able to tow about anything out there with it. Have to wait and see....Dan
Old 01-25-2012, 07:32 PM   #48

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by leadman View Post
Have you checked for vacuum leaks in the intake syystem. This can cause both conditions you have. A water squirt bottle will work, but what I like to use for checking for vac leaks is a hose on a propane torch. Need to be careful while doing this but much safer than spraying starting fluid around the engine.
IIRC this is an inline 6? They were notorious for cracked intakes.
One thing i did do was the heat riser was stuck and there was no vacuum line going to it.I got the heat riser loosed up but had to run a line to it. Don't know for sure but will find my book to see where they had that line connected for sure. The one i have it on is controlled by the throttle. Not sure what would control it. I may have it right or all screwed up. This motor is a early 80's i think. The head and intake are one piece. Not like the older sixes. If i can find the vacuum gauge i can find out if it is a leak or not. I want to check out the timing too. Getting the heat riser seemed to help some. Still needs help. A cracked head or intake could be the problem. Will let you know tomorrow, Dan
Old 01-27-2012, 07:07 PM   #49

Vintage RV Owners Club
This has been a really strange week! For every 2 steps forward, i end back 5...
I will have to do a few more things on the exhaust. I did get the new fuel tank. But after i took it out, found out that they had the tank switch control bypassed so the tank i had was not connected. First thing i thought was leaking tank!! Will try and answer that tomorrow. It did have fuel in it, and no bad smell so it was fairly new gas. I don't think the girl knows what she bought. My take is she was Taken! It is a 87 Chevy one ton with 6.2 baby diesel. They took out the diesel and put a 350 v-8 in it. It will never pass emissions! There was a whole bunch of junk done to it. Its a shame!! I am also thinking a bit more about putting that 454 in the truck. I have a th400 for the truck but would still like to have a 700r4 for it. Later on that. I am looking into air ride for the rear axle. Things are coming together but still haven't made up my mind yet.
When i first got the truck i was thinking about towing it behind the coach. Now where i am is making it tow something. tell me i am not playing with a full deck!!! Don't know yet what we will be towing but will be getting it ready to tow anything! Later, Dan
Old 01-27-2012, 07:18 PM   #50

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Dan I agree with taking the 454 and using in the truck. Empty she won't use much fuel. Loaded she might take down a bit more but will take you where you want to go!
Old 01-27-2012, 07:18 PM   #51

Vintage RV Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to RedneckExpress Send a message via AIM to RedneckExpress Send a message via MSN to RedneckExpress Send a message via Yahoo to RedneckExpress
Some of the early GM diesels were simply a modified V8 350 gas engine and were serious junk.

You still need a beefier rear end or that air suspension will be alot of wasted capacity. I have an AirLift Air kit on my truck, supports up to 5000lbs at max pressure, but I have a lot more rear axle capacity than that half-ton does.
'06 Heartland Bighorn 3400RL Fifth wheel
Follow along with me in the The Journey of
RedneckExpress is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 07:27 PM   #52

Vintage RV Owners Club
Well, The truck has a 1800 pound excess that can be a load or tow. The trailer i was looking at was going to take 1600 of that. so i would be over say 500 pounds or so. I am looking at another site that is just for the model and year. They think it is the frame not rear-end that would limit weight. They had one fellow who did something like i am planning and he was towing a 36 foot travel trailer! Couldn't believe he would do that. I can see the 5th wheel over a travel trailer. Not as much on the truck. I also heard about a guy on there that somehow took and switched the rear-ends out and added just air ride to it. No springs! That one is what i am looking into. One way or another, i will get-r-done!!! Dan
Old 01-27-2012, 07:34 PM   #53

Vintage RV Owners Club
Almost forgot. The 6.2 diesel is a true diesel. The biggest problem with it was not having turbo installed and as a result it was slow getting up to speed with any stick shift behind it. The automatic's were great but the th400 would overheat when stop and go a lot! The old 5.7 diesel was only used 2,maybe 3 years. The 6.2 was used 5 years and then the 6.5 with a turbo was the same block but they used different heads. the 6.6 i think is also the same basic block with changes in heads or cranks?? Has to be more than just direct injection. I had two trucks with the 6.2. The one with the automatic was great!!! The one with the 4 speed sucked!!!!!!!!!!
Old 01-27-2012, 07:37 PM   #54

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Dan my ex father in law took a half ton ford, Put a 3/4 ton rear axle from a older international under it. He beefed up the springs a bit and hauled a 32 foot 5'r behind it across country and back with no problems. Now the best part is he had the 351 windsor motor in it. lots of torque. I believe it was an 84-85 model 5.8 HO. I don't know the weight of the 5'r but it certainly didn't look lite after my ex mother in law loaded it up.
Old 01-27-2012, 08:18 PM   #55

Vintage RV Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to RedneckExpress Send a message via AIM to RedneckExpress Send a message via MSN to RedneckExpress Send a message via Yahoo to RedneckExpress
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallaby Dan View Post
Well, The truck has a 1800 pound excess that can be a load or tow. The trailer i was looking at was going to take 1600 of that. so i would be over say 500 pounds or so. I am looking at another site that is just for the model and year. They think it is the frame not rear-end that would limit weight. They had one fellow who did something like i am planning and he was towing a 36 foot travel trailer! Couldn't believe he would do that. I can see the 5th wheel over a travel trailer. Not as much on the truck. I also heard about a guy on there that somehow took and switched the rear-ends out and added just air ride to it. No springs! That one is what i am looking into. One way or another, i will get-r-done!!! Dan
Actually, that 36' TT probably had less tongue weight than yer layton 5er did.

With TT's, the average ball weight is between 500-1000lbs, far less than with 5ers, the figure is usually 10% of the trailer's total weight is on the ball.
'06 Heartland Bighorn 3400RL Fifth wheel
Follow along with me in the The Journey of
RedneckExpress is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 08:59 PM   #56

Vintage RV Owners Club
hhhmmmm...., you are saying i can haul more trailer if not a 5th?? Thats a new one for me...have to think about that one a bit. Wonder what say a 32 footer would be on the tongue? Even if i go with the travel trailer, i am continuing with the pickup bed plan i am working on. Deb wants a tt and i liked the 5th wheel... guess we will be looking for a tt....