Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 01-28-2012, 02:58 AM   #57

Vintage RV Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to RedneckExpress Send a message via AIM to RedneckExpress Send a message via MSN to RedneckExpress Send a message via Yahoo to RedneckExpress
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallaby Dan View Post
hhhmmmm...., you are saying i can haul more trailer if not a 5th?? Thats a new one for me...have to think about that one a bit. Wonder what say a 32 footer would be on the tongue? Even if i go with the travel trailer, i am continuing with the pickup bed plan i am working on. Deb wants a tt and i liked the 5th wheel... guess we will be looking for a tt....
I'm saying you have less weight over your rear axle, in general than a 5er with a TT. You're still limited by the overall maximum towing capacity of the rig, but depending on the build of the trailer, you may be able to get a bit bigger TT than you could with a 5th wheel, plus the hitch is less of a pita to install .

'06 Heartland Bighorn 3400RL Fifth wheel
Follow along with me in the The Journey of
RedneckExpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-28-2012, 07:27 AM   #58

dan not all bumper pull are the same my 2008 artic fox silver fox 30 foot weighs around 8000 lb but tongue weight is 1200 maybe because the front slide thats why it has sat since i got it 2 years ago. i only have 1 truck payment left so in the future.....

Old 01-28-2012, 11:33 AM   #59

Vintage RV Owners Club
Was chatting to one of the members at another site,( Chevy forum, click 67-72 and have fun), They make or did make a 3/4 ton with coil springs and a 3/4 ton truck axle. You can use the same trailing arms and strut. The only big difference is the load caring and the springs. They are pretty much a straight forward swap. I am heading for the yards soon!! I could with that be able to pull almost anything and i could tow the 5th wheel. One other thing he said was that i need to get the driveshaft with it. The one in mine would work but would be stronger if i used the 3/4 one. I would only have one other issue. The axle is a 8 lug and my front would be a 6 lug. I can maybe switch out the front spindle for a 3/4 ton model. He wasn't sure about that part. His dad had one of the rear-ends that was like he told me about. They made them both ways he said. Coil springs and or leaf.
Link is below, Dan

Porterbuilt Direct - The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network
Wallaby Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 04:22 PM   #60

Vintage RV Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to RedneckExpress Send a message via AIM to RedneckExpress Send a message via MSN to RedneckExpress Send a message via Yahoo to RedneckExpress
Quote:
Was chatting to one of the members at another site,( Chevy forum, click 67-72 and have fun), They make or did make a 3/4 ton with coil springs and a 3/4 ton truck axle. You can use the same trailing arms and strut. The only big difference is the load caring and the springs. They are pretty much a straight forward swap. I am heading for the yards soon!! I could with that be able to pull almost anything and i could tow the 5th wheel. One other thing he said was that i need to get the driveshaft with it. The one in mine would work but would be stronger if i used the 3/4 one. I would only have one other issue. The axle is a 8 lug and my front would be a 6 lug. I can maybe switch out the front spindle for a 3/4 ton model. He wasn't sure about that part. His dad had one of the rear-ends that was like he told me about. They made them both ways he said. Coil springs and or leaf.
Link is below, Dan

Porterbuilt Direct - The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network
You'll also need to go up to 16" rims for the bigger brakes as well.
Old 01-28-2012, 05:35 PM   #61

Vintage RV Owners Club
yes i will!! There are company's out there that make disc brakes for the rear end of the Chevy. I will be going that way. My old trooper had them and i loved them!!! The front spindles are one area that i am trying to find out about. Do i get just the spindles with the front rotors and capullars, or do i need the a arms as well. That is one area needing research. I am on it!!
I wish i could talk that ole boy into selling that 72 to me!!! I can dream.....
Old 01-28-2012, 06:48 PM   #62

Vintage RV Owners Club
Our 69 looking for our new home

I can't believe that they use the same springs in the half ton and the 3/4 ton rears on our 69 pickup!!! Redneck Express, you ever heard of that one??? The only options are constant or variable rates! I guess that is why there are so many C10's over the C20 or C30. Since i lost the Layton i thought i would change the name of the thread. Before i forget. They have a rear disc brake package and a front end disc package. And they also have a 6 lug rear axle for the rear C-20 axles. They make front and back sway bars and air bag springs for the rear too! One other thing. I did get a new fuel tank but not sure what the size of it though. I know it has to be somewhere in the 20+ gallon tank but don't know what they used for the tanks on the 80's Chevy. Anyway, I am at it, Dan
Old 01-28-2012, 10:21 PM   #63

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
I can't believe that they use the same springs in the half ton and the 3/4 ton rears on our 69 pickup!!! Redneck Express, you ever heard of that one??? The only options are constant or variable rates! I guess that is why there are so many C10's over the C20 or C30. Since i lost the Layton i thought i would change the name of the thread. Before i forget. They have a rear disc brake package and a front end disc package. And they also have a 6 lug rear axle for the rear C-20 axles. They make front and back sway bars and air bag springs for the rear too! One other thing. I did get a new fuel tank but not sure what the size of it though. I know it has to be somewhere in the 20+ gallon tank but don't know what they used for the tanks on the 80's Chevy. Anyway, I am at it, Dan
Only on what they called "Strike Specials" where they were rebadging 3/4 tons as half tons because parts weren't available for the half tons because of a labor strike. Oh, and the limited series "GMC Heavy-Half".
Old 01-28-2012, 11:26 PM   #64

Dan-my question is the 454 a 0 clearance engine where with a bad timing chain you would end up with bent valves too.Might want to check into that too when you get to it.Sure would suck if you got it back together to find you have to fix bent valves too.

Just scouting out for ya.
Old 01-29-2012, 10:42 PM   #65

Vintage RV Owners Club
No Gary, It isn't 0 clearance. I won't know for sure what went bad till i get the engine out. I am working toward getting the engine out sometime next month or maybe March after i get the truck painted. I can begin getting the stuff unbolted and removed so i can pull it out. I also need the new exhaust system from the home too. I will have to cut it up to fit on the truck but will work when i am ready. Thats down the road yet. I will not get it out till March or April. I want to paint the truck in March so i can work on the engine after i get the paint done. This month of February i am installing the new gas tank. Body work and Taking the old inside gas tank out and the new captains chairs in. That and more body work. Thats about all till March. I am going to put a valve cover gasket in as it leaks too much. I don't want to blow up that engine till i am ready to replace that with the new engine. i am also putting a new pinion seal in too. I got to really check that thing to see what could be chewing the seal out. Don't know if maybe the seals spring came off and the seal can't work correctly, or it somehow got damaged when i replaced the pinion and ring gear set. I may have to re-sleeve it for the seal to work correctly. Will let you know when i am at that place on the list. Seems that everytime i look at the list it gets longer!! Somewhere in this week, i need to take a break from the truck so my body can heal some. My hands and arms are burn't or cut from working on the truck this last week. I fixed another exhaust on the host truck i got the fuel tank from. Nice trade. I also had to repair the starter,(old school). I gave my old battery and the repairs for the fuel tank. I think i had the better part of the deal. That truck is a 87 and is in worse shape than mine was!!! Thats saying something for the older trucks!!!
Anyway, Thats where i am for now. I know i have other things to do but don't want to go into that yet. Save it for later when i get to that part of the job. I have had several folks come up to me and drool over the truck. One of them has a 67 and needs a seat. i am giving him mine so he will be able to enjoy his better. The cap is going to another friend and i got some things from him so it lets make a deal. I am giving that boy the seat for free. I can see the boy is having a hard time making ends meet. I don't have any reason to keep it so it is needed by someone else. I got this baby because i needed it and that was a gift from my heavenly father, and his son. That kid is riding on the springs of the seat. The way i see it is i needed a truck for something. I still don't know yet as to why. I am guessing it is important. Maybe to help someone else?? Anyway, he needs a seat. I learned a long time ago that he doesn't let us know why sometimes but when it is over, i will be able to see the why! Thats the way my higher Power works.They say in mysterious ways..yep!!! I got the parts for my toolbox from the guy that is getting the cap. Anyway, I am off to bed and tomorrow will come if it is supposed to. may your journey be as fun!! Dan
Old 01-30-2012, 07:10 PM   #66

Vintage RV Owners Club
Aaawww shucks... When they was repairing the truck from the accident they didn't repair the door jam. its broke free at the bottom so i got to tear out the fender and whatever else they covered it up with. Have to see what they did...or didn't do....
I have a job that pays us about 200+or -. Should give me enough for the parts i need and maybe some steel for that jam. I also got the new fuel tank in place and will be hooking it up some time next week after we get the plasma cutter back. I have double wall sides on the truck and i need to make the cuts just right or i will be doing more than needed. Be glad when i get that done. Tired, am going to bed early tonight. No pictures but will whern i start up on it again, Dan
Old 02-02-2012, 07:19 PM   #67

Vintage RV Owners Club
I took a break from the work so i could heal from the welding. I still have burns all over the hands but they are scabbed and not hurting so i went at it again.
I installed the fuel tank onto the bed of the truck. Cutting the holes with a air powered die grinder is not the easy way of doing it but don'r want to wait till next week. Made the rough holes and cut threw the inner wall and then i marked the holes for the corners with my drill. I then went outside to make the cuts on the outer skin. I had to make a few modifications to get the fill up to where i needed it to be. The lines are fed all the way down under the truck. Tomorrow i will put 30 bucks in the new tank. I will put a few bucks into the old tank to make my rounds and if i feel up to it i can switch the fuel line and start using the new tank. I might wait till Saturday. I want to get the old tank out. It will pour into a gas can real easy. I also want to get that water tank nozzle out of the back of the truck. I have a good piece of metal i can use for the opening. I want to weld that plate back behind the wall and then i can grind it smooth and fill it with a skim coat of bondo. I forgot my Phone so i didn't get any pics, but i did get a couple of shots from the outside and one from the back. that one has a bunch of tools and other stuff in front of the tank but it will give you a idea anyway. I took them when i got back home. I have a 1/2 inch between the fuel tank and the bottom of the toolbox that will be on top of the tank. With luck i can start up the work on the door Monday. That will be no fun for sure. Hope it is easy but that just doesn't work out very often. I will get a door for that fuel tank when i go downtown tomorrow Later, Dan
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	020212161033.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	192.7 KB
ID:	17604   Click image for larger version

Name:	020212161041.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	184.5 KB
ID:	17605  

Name:	020212161057.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	326.1 KB
ID:	17606  
Old 02-02-2012, 07:39 PM   #68

Vintage RV Owners Club
Dan, I hope you have something you plan to weld over those fill ports, cause that just looks ugly as sin right now .
Old 02-03-2012, 09:08 PM   #69

Vintage RV Owners Club
Yes, i did. I got it this afternoon. Looks pretty good!! Will show a shot tomorrow. I will be switching over to the new tank tomorrow. I will be starting the work on the tool box Monday. We got the plasma cutter back today. I went on the hunt. Found a new door handle for my side and i got the rear clearance lights for the sides of the bed. Wish it had Power steering and power brakes, but no such luck! Maybe next time. What i saw was a 69 Chevy C-20 and it had the coil springs and someone had already removed the springs and axle. the front spindles and disc brakes. Man its hard to find any parts in the salvage yards. Anyway i am getting out of here. Later, Dan
Old 02-04-2012, 07:35 PM   #70

Vintage RV Owners Club
He He He!! What a cool day! I got the door on the fuel fill! It looks a lot better. I disconnected the old gas tank and finished the install of the new one. Done. I may have a small problem with it. Will see Monday. When i first started the fill i checked first to see what would happen to the gauge. It came all the way down to empty. Then i added the 3 or so gallons to it and the gauge came up to about 1/8 tank. I was going around the corner to add fuel to it and it ran out of gas with a 1/8th or so still showing on the gauge. Added 5 gallons and the gauge wouldn't go above 1/4. I filled it and still shows about 1/4 tank. I think i will pull the gauge sender out and have a look see. That's Monday. Hope its a easy thing. And its nice to see the gauge go anywhere but over full!! While i was at it, i placed a piece of metal from the new fuel neck and shaped it and for the time being drilled and pop riveted it to the outer skin. The hole is sealed but i will make it neat later. I am taking another break till Monday. Will figure out whats happening then, Dan Shots below,
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	020412135054.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	363.7 KB
ID:	17683