Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 02-04-2012, 07:36 PM   #71

Vintage RV Owners Club
Don't know why but only one shot came up??? Try again. almost forgot, The new door handle is showing. Before i had to finger the button to open it. Now i almost feel rev'in!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	020412135142.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	205.7 KB
ID:	17686   Click image for larger version

Name:	020412175720.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	226.3 KB
ID:	17687  

Wallaby Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-07-2012, 06:23 PM   #72

Vintage RV Owners Club
More work done today. My tool box is coming along fine. Last night the truck just quit running. Today, i found out that the fuel pump quit! It was old..yeah, i know...like anything else that i have. New fuel pump, problem solved. Did some of the body work but ran out of daylight. Took a few shots and they are at the Picassa site, Dan

I will add a couple here too.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	020712164016.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	228.1 KB
ID:	17758   Click image for larger version

Name:	020712164036.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	286.2 KB
ID:	17759  

Old 02-07-2012, 07:48 PM   #73

Vintage RV Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to RedneckExpress Send a message via AIM to RedneckExpress Send a message via MSN to RedneckExpress Send a message via Yahoo to RedneckExpress
I forgot to ask Dan, was that tank in the bed yer primary now, or is it an auxiliary? If that's yer primary, I would have sent ya off to find a Chevy Suburban to snag the tank off of, they mount up where the rear tire mount normally resides, carries 32 gallons.
'06 Heartland Bighorn 3400RL Fifth wheel
Follow along with me in the The Journey of
RedneckExpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 08:31 PM   #74

Vintage RV Owners Club
Primary. I think it holds 25 gallons. It has 17 gallons and still has about 5 inches left to fill. I wanted to make sure i had no issues before i fill it. I have those spots to finish. And my toolboxes and then i can get on with getting the cap off...for good. Around here, most of the gas tanks get holes and removed before we get a chance to go through them. A lot of places hold on to some of the stuff for a few days only. They crunch them and sale for scrap! I got lucky last week. I wanted to get the drivers side fender and a couple of other things and it was gone! You snooze, you loose.. I will be finishing those gas covers and will start up finishing the toolboxes. I am going to prime both and install them for now. I want to get that cap off. I have a vent for the tank and the fumes get a bit thick if you understand. Once i have the cap off it will be a mute issue. So that is this weeks and most of next weeks duty's. Later, i've had dinner so it's time for a bath and bed. Later fellow, Dan
Old 02-08-2012, 11:11 AM   #75

I am assuming this is still carburated. If so the vent for the tank should run to the top of the fill pipe and the gas cap should be the vented type.
If you have a vent on the top of the tank you run a strong possibility of liquid gas spilling out or leaking from expansion. Gasoline has a high expansion ratio when warmed up. Just the sun on a filled tank can cause it to run out.
The fuel door you installed should seal the fill tube from the interior of the bed and if it runs thru a couple of panels those also. Gas fumes can be trapped between the body panels.
We are so used to handling and dispensing gasoline we forget that it can be a high explosive.
Old 02-08-2012, 01:04 PM   #76

Vintage RV Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to RedneckExpress Send a message via AIM to RedneckExpress Send a message via MSN to RedneckExpress Send a message via Yahoo to RedneckExpress
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallaby Dan View Post
Primary. I think it holds 25 gallons. It has 17 gallons and still has about 5 inches left to fill. I wanted to make sure i had no issues before i fill it. I have those spots to finish. And my toolboxes and then i can get on with getting the cap off...for good. Around here, most of the gas tanks get holes and removed before we get a chance to go through them. A lot of places hold on to some of the stuff for a few days only. They crunch them and sale for scrap! I got lucky last week. I wanted to get the drivers side fender and a couple of other things and it was gone! You snooze, you loose.. I will be finishing those gas covers and will start up finishing the toolboxes. I am going to prime both and install them for now. I want to get that cap off. I have a vent for the tank and the fumes get a bit thick if you understand. Once i have the cap off it will be a mute issue. So that is this weeks and most of next weeks duty's. Later, i've had dinner so it's time for a bath and bed. Later fellow, Dan
That's what JC Whitney is for, you can order replacement tanks for around a $100-200.
Old 02-08-2012, 07:17 PM   #77

Vintage RV Owners Club
The vent is beside the tank and a bit above. It has a valve that lets expansion but keeps the vent from bleeding out fuel. The gas cap is also vented. But the tank was not designed for a gas tank but diesel. The toolbox is going to be above it and there is going to be a skirt on the front side. Right now i need to work on the charging system. The voltage regulator is messing around and has killed the new battery and is causing a drain on that. Have to disconnect the regulator so it don't discharge the battery overnight. It leaves the radio and cb turned on and am not sure what else. The battery was dead this morning. And after charging it, the battery would not hold a charger test for battery strength Have a new battery, and can play the game till Friday. Friday i can work on that. Tomorrow i will be out all day at the Va. Deb and I both have appointments. Later, Dan
Old 02-13-2012, 09:35 PM   #78

Vintage RV Owners Club
Well, I am burnt out!! I took off Sunday but still tired. Saturday, i went on parts detail and found...nada!! I must have walked over 3 miles around the parts yard!
I worked on the toolbox some today. I got two of the drawers made but need finishing yet. They fit perfect! Have one more to build and with a little luck i will get it done and all three sanded smooth and primed. I am in the final touchdown on the toolboxes. I had another little job come in today so that should get me almost totally done. I can mount them and load them up and take that UGLY cap off!!! I have the rubber pads for the bottoms and the the drawers! I have one to make one for the other toolbox yet. It didn't have a sliding drawer in it so i can make one for it. Once they are in, i can look for a new home. I can do a 5th wheel or a travel trailer. Whatever we find. Pics on Picasa site, One below, Dan
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	021312144223.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	356.8 KB
ID:	17913  
Old 02-14-2012, 08:18 PM   #79

Vintage RV Owners Club
It was brought to my attention that the Picasa site was not giving you any pictures of the new things being done to the truck. I think i have it fixed. Let me know if there are other bugs i need to fix, Dan
Old 02-16-2012, 07:46 PM   #80

Vintage RV Owners Club
I worked on the toolboxes today. I got all the drawers made and the sliders installed. Now that i have everything all fitting correctly i am going to take and sand all the metal and prime and paint. I need just a couple of things to finish that one box and i am going down to a place i know that will re-key the locks on the front toolbox. I am also going to add the ones that came off of that old box to give more security to the back toolbox. For the time being, i am going to keep the tailgate on it. Next week, I get to go back to Body work. O...joy...
Old 02-23-2012, 08:31 PM   #81

Vintage RV Owners Club
Ugg...I helped a friend out the other day and i know how my body felt after we installed a engine in his car. I have most of the toolboxes done. I am waiting on parts right now. I will be painting them in March.First week of if lucky. More body work to do. i found a friend that has a drivers side front fender and a front chrome bumper. He had it for a 72 he was rebuilding but sold it and forgot the two parts. As soon as he figures out what he wants for them i will try and claim them. I will be putting in the automatic trans sometime next month. I will need that to pull the coach down to Larrys and back to the court. I will be taking the motor loose along with removing all the stuff on it so i can get it out easier. Everything i am taking off will go back on in the truck. I just have to get it done.
Tired so i am out of here, Dan
Old 02-24-2012, 12:28 PM   #82

Vintage RV Owners Club
I could do with some of that dry warmer sounding weather yer in right now, I could get to work on cutting a section of my camper's floor out to reframe it in as a drop floor to accommodate my conversion to vertical 20lb propane bottles.
Old 02-24-2012, 08:53 PM   #83

Vintage RV Owners Club
Know what you mean there! It has been in the Mid-70's all week. They are calling for a cool down next week. We may only hit 60 they say Tuesday. Don't hear about getting any rain but just a cool-down.
This has been one of those days....I should have stayed in bed! All for Not! Truck 10, Dan 0! Anyway, Will see you later, Dan
Old 02-26-2012, 02:22 PM   #84

Vintage RV Owners Club
Yep, I should have just stayed in bed!! I am having some kind of issue with energy. Lack of!!! It started the other day when i helped out putting a engine in a Camaro that my friend has. The rest of the week has been lack of any energy.
Didn't get a whole lot done. i still have this week to try and catch up a bit. I need to finish the toolboxes so i can paint them. What is left is to grind all the rough spots and some of the welds. I have some Da to do too. And then prime and have it ready to paint later next week. I still haven't heard back on what that fellow wants for the fender and bumper. Hope i hear something soon. I am making a parts run to see what i can find for the truck. U-Pull-It, here i come!!
Later, Dan