Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 08-07-2014, 09:16 AM   #1

Send a message via Skype™ to hammer55
Angry Older 454 running hot

have read a old thread and have had the same problems, and it wouldn't let me post to that thread, any way, have had a shop look at my rig and have changed the fan clutch, hoses, thermostat, still no help, he said some of the older model engines had the wrong head gaskets installed and that could be the problem, also he said he would steer clear of the radiator flush because it would clog the radiator with all the crud that might come from the engine, any thoughts on the flush, running about 205 normal, has got about 230-240 up Pacheco pass,

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-07-2014, 10:46 AM   #2

For flush go old school.

But it does use some water...

Get a can of 2 part flush or cleaner.

Open drain and let it all out and refill with water but leave drain open.

Now start engine and let it idle with heater on full heat.

When water flows clear shut engine off and shut drain.

Dump in the clean or acid part of of the flush and go for a drive with heater on.

30 minutes minimum.

Repeat flush with drain...flush with engine running.

Then add second part and repeat.

This will clean out the system well.

Before adding coolant due to cost make sure you are done...

No worry about freezing now but be sure to put antifreeze in later.

List of things to check.

1 timing....if late it will run hot and less power
2 thermostat. Get non contact thermometer and use it to measure water temp and see when it opens.

It may not be fully opening

3 exhaust...partially clogged will cause overheating. Use thermometer to check exhaust system. Do this at first startup and look for diffetence in temp across things like muffler and csts.

If real hot on one side and lots cooler on other then lack of flow.

4 fan clutch. See if there is any sloppyness at all. If there is then bearrings and or clutch shot and not working and it also can damage water pump.

5 lower rad hose. Make sure it is firm...should not be able to pinch it closed...sometimes wrong hose installed and water pump draws it smaller...rare but possible.

There is your list.

Flush may not be

Old 08-08-2014, 08:53 AM   #3

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TQ60 View Post
For flush go old school.

But it does use some water...

Get a can of 2 part flush or cleaner.

Open drain and let it all out and refill with water but leave drain open.

Now start engine and let it idle with heater on full heat.

When water flows clear shut engine off and shut drain.

Dump in the clean or acid part of of the flush and go for a drive with heater on.

30 minutes minimum.

Repeat flush with drain...flush with engine running.

Then add second part and repeat.

This will clean out the system well.

Before adding coolant due to cost make sure you are done...

No worry about freezing now but be sure to put antifreeze in later.

List of things to check.

1 timing....if late it will run hot and less power
2 thermostat. Get non contact thermometer and use it to measure water temp and see when it opens.

It may not be fully opening

3 exhaust...partially clogged will cause overheating. Use thermometer to check exhaust system. Do this at first startup and look for diffetence in temp across things like muffler and csts.

If real hot on one side and lots cooler on other then lack of flow.

4 fan clutch. See if there is any sloppyness at all. If there is then bearrings and or clutch shot and not working and it also can damage water pump.

5 lower rad hose. Make sure it is firm...should not be able to pinch it closed...sometimes wrong hose installed and water pump draws it smaller...rare but possible.

There is your list.

Flush may not be
Tony,
Thanks for the old school flush. I am going to give it a shot too.

Hammer55,
I have a old 454 1982, runs great. Mine runs @ the 1/2 way mark on the gauge. I don't have numbers to tell hot that is. I also pull a KarKaddySS with a 99 deville on it. It has never gone above the 1/2 way even @ 90+ outside temp the fan does kick in though.
I am going to try Tony s flush just because the Antifreeze looks pretty crappy.
Maybe you got a bad (new cap or thermostat) or possible upside down Sorry but just maybe. Maybe need a higher temp thermostat?
Hope you get it figured out and let us know. I would like to know.
Thanks, Tim
spritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 10:22 AM   #4

Remember...thermostat has nothing to do with cooling the engine.

It only limits cooling ability to allow the engine to reach operating temperature and keep it above a minimum.
Old 08-08-2014, 04:49 PM   #5

my new to me TBI rig was doing that too, even was getting hot idleing in parkinglot...good flush, new green coolant, new 195 t-stat, and a standard autometer triple gauge set ( oil psi, water temp, volts) from the parts house...lets me keep a better eye on things...and she is running cooler.

the factory needle shows 1/2 to 3/4 as nominal operation range. It now, post flush stays half while highway/backroad cruising, goes to 3/4 on long mountain climbs.

The aftermarket shows 195 when the factory shows 1/2 ( about 205ish).

even when the factory needle shows 225 to 235....aftermarket shows 210 for a short time and drops quick ( reacts quicker).

hottest i have seen since flush was 220 and that was climbing a long grade out of the Verde Valley east towards Show Low on Hwy 260. 3300 ft climb on 2 lane blacktop from 3200 to 6500 feet with out side temps around 105F.

Probably never going to have a chance to "drive" a Boeing, so I bought an Aerbus!
jeepthrills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 11:12 PM   #6

Vintage RV Owners Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Our 454 boiled over. Turned out rocker gaskets weren't replaced, but someone put a silicone bead down & said, "good enough." We had the motor replaced (old one turned out to have cracked head). We just got home from our trip & she ran about 1/4 up the gauge. Idling in the parking lot after running on the highway, once or twice she got up to 1/2. We can hear the fan kick on. Not bad.
Textronics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 07:04 AM   #7

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Bummer you had to replace but glad to hear shes running fine.
spritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 09:59 PM   #8

OK, first you need to figure out what is actually wrong. Buy an IR gauge and measure the inlet temp and outlet temp. Measure sections of the radiator and make sure its doing its job. If the radiator is OK, then you may need to check elsewhere. Does your rig have catalytic converters? If so, they may be clogged.

Next, check your timing. If it is to retarded, it will make it run hot. Last, make sure your secondaries on your 4 barrel actually are putting fuel down the intake. I have seen where an engine will run nice and cool until the secondaries open up and then it overheats. No fuel was getting into the secondaries.

Tags