Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-19-2018, 10:50 PM   #1

Vintage RV Owners Club
On the hunt for a good wired Backup Camera

Decided it would be prudent to add a backup camera to the Amerigo while I've got her fully opened up, so I'm looking for some more recent wired camera options folks have been using.

I went through the one entry we have in the University post, but the camera and details go back to 2006, so a little dated.

I'm also hoping to find a unit that can be wired up to use a trailer plug to connect between the truck and the camper for ease of disconnect.

Depending on how many wires it needs, I might be able to combine it with the Intercom unit using the same plug (unique pins for each).

One suggestion I've already received, but am waiting back on how that particular forum member from that forum has his wired for the disconnect between his truck and camper, currently has me intrigued.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMDriver2
I have two weatherproof bullet security cameras from Amazon ($15/Pair), 7 in LCD Monitor ($30), and two 25ft and two 50 ft sets of cables ($25/4 x 4 wire cables). Each camera uses 3 wires (power, ground, video), in the cable. I have a 5er so I run the two 50ft 3 wire cables from the cameras to the hitch where I plug them into the two 25ft 3 wire cables to get up to my monitor. I do have to unplug a number of jacks but they are all taped together and labeled so it is not a big issue. When I am not pulling the boat behind the 5er I can plug the cameras into the 25ft cables and use them as backup/hitch cameras for the truck or to monitor the boat, utility trailer or what ever is back there being towed. The cameras and monitor are both 12 volt so power is easy.

Monitor

Camera

So far, I kind of like this idea, as it would be fairly simple to wire for, just need to get a video cable with the necessary BNC Connectors on the ends, though I haven't found a good source for a through-bulkhead connector for the outside of the camper for the umbilical cable, as however this connects will need to be able to survive driving rain and normal pickup truck use.
'06 Heartland Bighorn 3400RL Fifth wheel
Follow along with me in the The Journey of
RedneckExpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-20-2018, 07:20 AM   #2

I've made several purchases from a company called "RV Cams, they're in Louisiana. They're VERY helpful so give them a call and ask their opinion: " https://www.rvcams.com/

When I wanted to hook up a wired rear view camera on my 20' enclosed trailer they supplied me with all the parts including camera, cord, 2 sets of female plugs, 2 sets of male plugs, (for the patch cord between my coach and the trailer) the wires from my monitor to the plug on the rear of my coach and from the camera to the plug on the front of my trailer. When I traded my Winnebago Tour for a Newmar Dutch Star, the monitor only had provisions for 3 camera's and they sold me a device that allows more than 3 camera's into the monitor. Works perfectly
LJowdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 05:02 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Here's a good source for you to look at

https://www.rearviewsafety.com/backu...-systems.html/
Towing 2014 Ford Explorer
veraken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 05:39 AM   #4

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I was installing exterior 12VDC bullet cameras around the homestead after a break in. Looking at the specs I wonder if it had better IR and low light performance than the camera on the coach I thought why not and screwed on in place of the the more usual vehicle camera. It wasn't an improvement and was actually a step down in performance. Low light performance wasn't much of a gain considering the distances the camera needs to see so more IR LED's didn't make a difference. The higher resolution CCD was lost due to the monitor's maximum resolution. Wasn't willing to upgrade the monitor so I could read the front plate of who ever was following me too close. And finally the lens view angle was less. 80 degrees against 120 degrees. I really missed the extra 20 degrees of viewing on each side.

Stick with the vehicle based camera at least for the wider view angle of the lense. The original camera system installed back in 2006 was B/W and a heavy low resolution CRT base display. Replaced the camera and monitor with a color system at a fraction of the cost of anything with the letters "RV" in the description of the items. $22 for the camera and $37 for the monitor. 50' power/video cable was $10.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

If you want to go wireless I have one of these and a license plate frame back up camera on the car I tow around. Only gets power when the umbilical cord from the coach is connected. Video is to input #2 of the monitor. Push a button on the monitor to switch between coach and toad. Distance between the transmitter and receiver is about 50 feet from the rear door on the car to the monitor in the dash of the coach. If all you need to jump is the hitch between the fifth wheel and the prime mover installation will be pretty simple. Mount the transmitter in the front storage compartment of the fifth wheel and the receiver up under the dash of the truck.

https://www.amazon.com/Camecho-Wirel...receiver&psc=1

Or just get a package for $65.
https://www.amazon.com/Camecho-Wirel...905132&sr=1-33

Tags
camera