Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-11-2010, 07:12 PM   #1

Onan BGE charging circuit

We have a 88 Holiday Rambler wt. an Onan 4KW BGE. generator. (spec.C) 4.0 BGE-1R / 26100C serial H870918582 (Aug. 87)

I read an article about a potential problem (several years ago) with units prior to spec. G where the charging bridge could short to ground and damage the B1 and B2 windings. Ruining the rotor.

The note I copied mentions disabling the battery charge circuit as it is redundant. The converter charges the batteries at a much higher rate (and new models are 3 stage).

The article mentions CR10, the charging rectifier and the R6 charge limit resistor.

My manuals do show R6 but have a CR 1 in the charging circuit. The only bridge rectifier feeds the voltage regulating transformer.

I haven't torn into the circuit box itself to see if it agrees with the circuit in the BGE manual.

As the article has no reference or names I don't know where I got it. The old selenium bridges were four square plates with terminals in between and a mounting stud (ground potential) that went through the center. That is the kind of rectifier I would assume could short. The newer semiconductor ones just have four leads and no ground path.

I didn't find anything on the forum about the above. If anyone is knowledgeable, please advise.

Thanks, Jim
JAMESRAYSR is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-12-2010, 08:49 AM   #2

Onan PM

I recently purchased an 89 class C 27' with an Onan genset on board. Not sure of the model or SN, but I'll check ours for problems once I service it. Thanks for the tip!

Ron
CARS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 07:06 PM   #3

Please do. I have all the manuals. Operator which came with the coach. Parts, Install and Service which I bought from Cummings. They seem to take a beating and keep on ticking. )

Jim
Old 11-13-2010, 04:19 PM   #4

These guys have been awesome in sharing there expertise and knowledge and helping me with my 4.0 bge Onan Generators - SmokStak
ftv37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 10:00 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ftv37 View Post
These guys have been awesome in sharing there expertise and knowledge and helping me with my 4.0 bge Onan Generators - SmokStak
Thanks, looks like a great resource. I have two Honda, 2 - 3 cyl. diesel Kobota and the Onan generators plus a 13 HP Honda pressure washer. I wrote to Generator Jim concerning my original post as I suspect what I have may be mixed information for the Marquis 7KW and the BGE?

He promised to look it up when they get home from camping.

Will post what I find out.

Thanks again for the link to Smokstak. Will spend a lot of hours there.

Jim
Old 11-16-2010, 04:46 PM   #6

BGE charging circuit

I have confirmed the information I had on shorting charging circuit failure applies only to early Marquis 7000 units and not the BGE gererators.

Sorry for raising a bogus question.

Continuing to repair hail damage to the coach and renovate everything that has been setting waiting for retirement.

Received a new AC shroud yesterday from Canada. Have new vent covers and caps to replace the broken ones. Decided not to replace the pod for now. Just don't think I have any business up there on a regular basis. Don't want the DW to have to push me around in a wheel chair for the rest of my life. Maybe later after dropping 50#. )

The cover was broken on the bat wing TV antenna. Been looking for a replacement wt. high VHF and UHF for it. We use it for local only, have a DirecTV antenna for most watching.

Jim