Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 09-18-2013, 02:06 PM   #1

Gulf Streamers Club
Onan Emerald 3 question

Hi all! We have an '89 Gulfstream Classic 34' class A, and the generator started acting up last summer, and I still haven't found time or info to fix it. I think the first thing I need is a circuit diagram of some kind so I can diagnose the problem. It is starting up just fine, as long as I hold down the start button, but as soon as I let go, it dies. It works that way starting from the driver's seat, or at the genset itself. It acts like the juice to the coil is cut off upon release of the starter button, but I don't know where to begin looking or testing without a diagram or instructions of some kind. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-18-2013, 02:23 PM   #2

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Irish View Post
Hi all! We have an '89 Gulfstream Classic 34' class A, and the generator started acting up last summer, and I still haven't found time or info to fix it. I think the first thing I need is a circuit diagram of some kind so I can diagnose the problem. It is starting up just fine, as long as I hold down the start button, but as soon as I let go, it dies. It works that way starting from the driver's seat, or at the genset itself. It acts like the juice to the coil is cut off upon release of the starter button, but I don't know where to begin looking or testing without a diagram or instructions of some kind. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
When you hold the start button down, you are getting 12 volts from the starting battery. When you release the button, you are getting that same 12 volts from the generator. The board is a 12 volt board and must have 12 volts to operate. You are not getting the 12 volts because of the board or because of the 12 volt generator in the armature. I would have the board tested first. Onan makes a tester for these boards. Call around and see if you can find a dealer that will test it for you. Most of the time it is the board.

Old 09-18-2013, 03:33 PM   #3

Gulf Streamers Club
Thank you ga traveler! Next question...Where is the "board" you are refering to? Is it accessible from outside the door or does the genset have to come out of its box? I only remember seeing a small terminal board where wires connect, but I don't remember seeing any electronic components. Maybe my memory isn't serving me well.
Old 09-19-2013, 07:11 AM   #4

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Thank you ga traveler! Next question...Where is the "board" you are refering to? Is it accessible from outside the door or does the genset have to come out of its box? I only remember seeing a small terminal board where wires connect, but I don't remember seeing any electronic components. Maybe my memory isn't serving me well.
The start button on the generator is made into the board.Remove the four screws from the cover that has the start button in it.
Old 09-19-2013, 03:41 PM   #5

Gulf Streamers Club
Thank you very much for your help. Right now the RV is under a tarp right alongside a barbed wire fence, so it will be a while before I can get to the gen to check it out, but at least now I know what I'm going to start checking. I'm sure you're probably right about the board, as I tried everything to narrow it down to that as a last possibility. It would take right off and run great until I let go of the switch.
Old 09-26-2013, 06:35 AM   #6

Most generators have a cut-out that will not allow them to run if you are below 1/4 tank of gas. Since your MH is covered, I'm guessing you've stored it for the winter with a full tank of gas, but just in case...
I believe the genset in my 88 HRC is an Emerald III, and I have all the original documentation for it. I'll try to get it scanned this coming weekend for you. If I don't contact you it means I've lost this thread amongst all the threads and forums I'm following, so PM me to get me back on track.
wrvond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 08:01 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ga traveler View Post
When you hold the start button down, you are getting 12 volts from the starting battery. When you release the button, you are getting that same 12 volts from the generator. The board is a 12 volt board and must have 12 volts to operate. You are not getting the 12 volts because of the board or because of the 12 volt generator in the armature. I would have the board tested first. Onan makes a tester for these boards. Call around and see if you can find a dealer that will test it for you. Most of the time it is the board.
I couldn't agree more. Since I haven't had an Emerald III in years (Onan for that matter) I do not remember if it had a 12v fuse protecting the board like Generacs do. If so, would that be somthing the OP should check also?
clyon51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 04:45 PM   #8

Checked my manuals, and I have an Emerald I, which won't do you much good. Sorry.
wrvond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 09:18 PM   #9

I believe the Emerald III was a Onan 6.5 NHE model. You need to determine the exact model and spec number you have to get the correct service manual. The information is on the ID plate and should look similar to:
6.5 NHE F J 13566 C

The last letter indicates the SPEC number ("C" in the that example)

For Spec A thru C the service manual is 940-0502 (http://www.cumminsonan.com/www/pdf/manuals/940-0502.pdf)

For Spec D thru P the service manual is 965-0528 (http://www.cumminsonan.com/www/pdf/manuals/965-0528.pdf)

In either manual, Section 7 (Control) contains the description and troubleshooting information for the problem you have. For Spec D and later you need to also look at the supplemental and Appendix A information also. Because there are spec differences, the information is sort of spread out in the manual.

Dave
Classic Winnebago Site: http://www.classicwinnebagos.com/forum/index.php
Dave78Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 01:09 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Onan Emerial 3 manuals also wiring diagram/schematic

Quote:
I have manuals for this genset NHE-NHEL, Installation Manual, Operator's Manual, Parts Manual would be happy to scan and email you a copy if that will help you. The Installation Manual has the wiring schematic not sure if I can upload a copy here but will try! Scanned a copy but don't see how to attach it here...anyone know how to do this?
Old 09-28-2013, 01:37 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
I scanned the wiring diagram for you and uploaded it to Member Gallories under Onan Wiring Diagram..hope you can access it.
Old 10-21-2013, 12:22 PM   #12

Gulf Streamers Club
Thank you all for all the great information! I now have what I need to try to diagnose and fix it, but that will have to wait until I'm done with the body work I'm doing on it to prep it for paint. Once that's out of the way, I can work on the genset.
Old 11-05-2013, 04:30 PM   #13

Don't let you're gen set sit idle too long. It's very important that it be exercised regularly. Chk your manual. Things happen when this stuff sits and time passes quickly. We lost both roof airs for this reason..............Jerry
Old 11-06-2013, 10:17 AM   #14

Gulf Streamers Club
Thanks Jerry! Ya know, I hadn't thought about that. That would just compound my problem, so I'd better be "unwrapping" the Pig and working on that, huh.

Tags
onan