Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 03-20-2012, 07:35 PM   #1
Member
 
katmat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 41
onan fuel system question

2.5 lk onan generator. it will run for about 30 seconds then die. some time it will run for 5 or 6 minutes then die. ive been tring to track down a carb kit. i was looking at my set up and somethings not right! what i thought was the regulator is the manual fuel pump. so now my question is i also have a electric pump so do i need it ? or is it just to supply the manual pump? also on the side of the manual pump is a arm that has holes in it like it should have a rod connected to it but its not there, manual does not show a rod. any help! lol thanks matt
__________________

__________________
1984 chevy mallard,24 ft. , troy ,ohio
katmat is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-20-2012, 07:56 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Tha_Rooster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Georgia
Posts: 4,517
I had one that would run and quit and it was the float bowl sticking.
__________________

__________________
2007 Fleetwood Revolution LE 40V
Tha_Rooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 10:47 PM   #3
Registered User
 
Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Indiana
Posts: 4,954
No need to have a carb 'kit' to remove and clean the carb..
__________________
Midniteoyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 02:59 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 683
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midniteoyl View Post
No need to have a carb 'kit' to remove and clean the carb..
A carb kit for these things is nothing more then a needle and seat and a couple gaskets for which you will pay dearly, Just take it apart and clean it.

Everyone says to use carb cleaner but I have found something I think is better. It's called formula 88 and I get it at Home depot. Once the carb is apart I use a Q tip dipped in 88 and you will surprised at how that varnish inside the float bowl comes off, it is actually a degreaser, we use it for everything including but not limited to some in the washer when My clothes are full of oil and crud, it boosts the wash power, sometimes my wife will spray the cruddy parts with 88 and throw them in the washer, it's great to get grease stains off the garage floor, and to spritz up your car motor
__________________
Bilito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 06:52 PM   #5
Member
 
katmat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 41
ill have to get some of that !!!! going to homedepot tomorrow. thanks
__________________
1984 chevy mallard,24 ft. , troy ,ohio
katmat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 02:23 PM   #6
Registered User
 
Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Indiana
Posts: 4,954
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilito View Post
A carb kit for these things is nothing more then a needle and seat and a couple gaskets for which you will pay dearly, Just take it apart and clean it.

Everyone says to use carb cleaner but I have found something I think is better. It's called formula 88 and I get it at Home depot. Once the carb is apart I use a Q tip dipped in 88 and you will surprised at how that varnish inside the float bowl comes off, it is actually a degreaser, we use it for everything including but not limited to some in the washer when My clothes are full of oil and crud, it boosts the wash power, sometimes my wife will spray the cruddy parts with 88 and throw them in the washer, it's great to get grease stains off the garage floor, and to spritz up your car motor
That was on your 88th post too!
__________________
Midniteoyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 02:35 PM   #7
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 67
354MBS

Onan make a spray you use on your carb it the shizzle better than anything else JMO.One can about $12.00 dollars
__________________
LonBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 05:22 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 683
Quote:
Originally Posted by LonBoy View Post
Onan make a spray you use on your carb it the shizzle better than anything else JMO.One can about $12.00 dollars
One gallon of 88 is about 5 bucks
__________________
Bilito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 12:10 AM   #9
Member
 
katmat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 41
went to hd and couldnt find it. ill have to check another store.
__________________
1984 chevy mallard,24 ft. , troy ,ohio
katmat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 08:47 AM   #10
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 683
Quote:
Originally Posted by katmat View Post
went to hd and couldnt find it. ill have to check another store.
Hmm they always have massive displays in the area where they sell all the household chemicals and cleaners and/or on an end cap somwhere. it's on sale down here in Miami right now for 4.99 a gallon.

We used to buy this by the case to clean off engine and aircraft bottoms when I was with a small airline down here, the engine exhaust was routed out the bottom under the wings along with other things that leak and make a real mess of airplane bottoms. We used it becuase it disolves in water and cleans up nicely.
__________________
Bilito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 11:10 AM   #11
Senior Member
 
George Schweikle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 2,200
Matt,

Use the search function on this forum where you will find lots of information and discussion regarding generators. Probably the most repeated advice is to check the rubber fuel lines for cracking. This allows air in the fuel, and is just one of the generator issues mentioned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by katmat View Post
2.5 lk onan generator. it will run for about 30 seconds then die. some time it will run for 5 or 6 minutes then die. ive been tring to track down a carb kit. i was looking at my set up and somethings not right! what i thought was the regulator is the manual fuel pump. so now my question is i also have a electric pump so do i need it ? or is it just to supply the manual pump? also on the side of the manual pump is a arm that has holes in it like it should have a rod connected to it but its not there, manual does not show a rod. any help! lol thanks matt
__________________
George Schweikle Lexington, KY
1999 Safari TREK 2830, FMCA 190830, Safari International chapter
1995 Safari TREK 2630, 1983 Winnebago Chieftain, 1976 Midas Mini
George Schweikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 08:53 PM   #12
Member
 
katmat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 41
thats why i couldnt find it!! for some reason i looked in the tool section. and i have searched and read every one of them i think!! just thought someone might have the same model that i have and problems also. thanks matt
__________________
1984 chevy mallard,24 ft. , troy ,ohio
katmat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 09:06 PM   #13
Senior Member
 
trampsrv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: sault ste marie,Ontario,Canada
Posts: 310
have you tried replacing the spark plug?
__________________
1997 four winds windsport 38,000 miles
1999 ford ranger sport on a master tow car dolly
Rob,Faye and peanut(long haired chiwawa)
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
trampsrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 08:27 AM   #14
Member
 
katmat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 41
it will fire just no fuel.
__________________

__________________
1984 chevy mallard,24 ft. , troy ,ohio
katmat is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
fuel, onan



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Onan Diesel 7500 won't start nplenzick Class A Motorhome Discussions 61 12-10-2012 08:30 PM
New Workhorse Fuel Filter Adapter Oemtech Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum 51 08-20-2012 07:28 PM
Fuel filters on Tier II engines Kuppajoe Cummins Engines 7 04-19-2012 09:56 AM
2011 BERKSHIRE Question RVBulldog Forest River Owners Forum 13 03-21-2012 08:13 PM
Ford Explorer Transfer Case Question JohnQ Toads and Motorhome Related Towing 1 03-20-2012 06:17 PM

» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:25 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.