Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-20-2012, 06:35 PM   #1

onan fuel system question

2.5 lk onan generator. it will run for about 30 seconds then die. some time it will run for 5 or 6 minutes then die. ive been tring to track down a carb kit. i was looking at my set up and somethings not right! what i thought was the regulator is the manual fuel pump. so now my question is i also have a electric pump so do i need it ? or is it just to supply the manual pump? also on the side of the manual pump is a arm that has holes in it like it should have a rod connected to it but its not there, manual does not show a rod. any help! lol thanks matt
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-20-2012, 06:56 PM   #2

I had one that would run and quit and it was the float bowl sticking.
Old 03-20-2012, 09:47 PM   #3

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
No need to have a carb 'kit' to remove and clean the carb..
Midniteoyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 01:59 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midniteoyl View Post
No need to have a carb 'kit' to remove and clean the carb..
A carb kit for these things is nothing more then a needle and seat and a couple gaskets for which you will pay dearly, Just take it apart and clean it.

Everyone says to use carb cleaner but I have found something I think is better. It's called formula 88 and I get it at Home depot. Once the carb is apart I use a Q tip dipped in 88 and you will surprised at how that varnish inside the float bowl comes off, it is actually a degreaser, we use it for everything including but not limited to some in the washer when My clothes are full of oil and crud, it boosts the wash power, sometimes my wife will spray the cruddy parts with 88 and throw them in the washer, it's great to get grease stains off the garage floor, and to spritz up your car motor
Bilito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 05:52 PM   #5

ill have to get some of that !!!! going to homedepot tomorrow. thanks
Old 03-22-2012, 01:23 PM   #6

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilito View Post
A carb kit for these things is nothing more then a needle and seat and a couple gaskets for which you will pay dearly, Just take it apart and clean it.

Everyone says to use carb cleaner but I have found something I think is better. It's called formula 88 and I get it at Home depot. Once the carb is apart I use a Q tip dipped in 88 and you will surprised at how that varnish inside the float bowl comes off, it is actually a degreaser, we use it for everything including but not limited to some in the washer when My clothes are full of oil and crud, it boosts the wash power, sometimes my wife will spray the cruddy parts with 88 and throw them in the washer, it's great to get grease stains off the garage floor, and to spritz up your car motor
That was on your 88th post too!
Midniteoyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 01:35 PM   #7

354MBS

Onan make a spray you use on your carb it the shizzle better than anything else JMO.One can about $12.00 dollars
LonBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 04:22 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonBoy View Post
Onan make a spray you use on your carb it the shizzle better than anything else JMO.One can about $12.00 dollars
One gallon of 88 is about 5 bucks
Old 03-22-2012, 11:10 PM   #9

went to hd and couldnt find it. ill have to check another store.
Old 03-23-2012, 07:47 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by katmat View Post
went to hd and couldnt find it. ill have to check another store.
Hmm they always have massive displays in the area where they sell all the household chemicals and cleaners and/or on an end cap somwhere. it's on sale down here in Miami right now for 4.99 a gallon.

We used to buy this by the case to clean off engine and aircraft bottoms when I was with a small airline down here, the engine exhaust was routed out the bottom under the wings along with other things that leak and make a real mess of airplane bottoms. We used it becuase it disolves in water and cleans up nicely.
Old 03-23-2012, 10:10 AM   #11

Matt,

Use the search function on this forum where you will find lots of information and discussion regarding generators. Probably the most repeated advice is to check the rubber fuel lines for cracking. This allows air in the fuel, and is just one of the generator issues mentioned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by katmat View Post
2.5 lk onan generator. it will run for about 30 seconds then die. some time it will run for 5 or 6 minutes then die. ive been tring to track down a carb kit. i was looking at my set up and somethings not right! what i thought was the regulator is the manual fuel pump. so now my question is i also have a electric pump so do i need it ? or is it just to supply the manual pump? also on the side of the manual pump is a arm that has holes in it like it should have a rod connected to it but its not there, manual does not show a rod. any help! lol thanks matt
2005 Safari (Monaco)Trek 28RB2, Workhorse W20, 8.1, Allison 1000 5 spd, UltraPower engine & tranny, Track bars & sway bars, KONI FSD, FMCA 190830, Safari Int'l. chapter. 1999 Safari Trek 2830, 1995 Safari Trek 2430, 1983 Winnebago Chieftain, 1976 Midas Mini
George Schweikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 07:53 PM   #12

thats why i couldnt find it!! for some reason i looked in the tool section. and i have searched and read every one of them i think!! just thought someone might have the same model that i have and problems also. thanks matt
Old 03-23-2012, 08:06 PM   #13

have you tried replacing the spark plug?
trampsrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 07:27 AM   #14

it will fire just no fuel.

Tags
fuel, onan