Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 05-29-2011, 08:37 AM   #15

Well, here's the good news. If you can figure out the wiring, wasted spark coils are pretty common. Used on lots of engines. An alternative would be a one-tower coil with split spark plug wires. No, I don't know offhand where you would find one!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-29-2011, 10:03 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuietWater View Post
Here's another place to get an owners manual. It's a direct pdf file with no advertising involved.
http://f1.grp.yahoofs.com/v1/wMThTZc...F%20Manual.pdf
I understand the above link did not work, so here is a better link. It includes pdf files of many things that are on older motor homes. It should work okay. You will find the BF series of Onan Generators in the list.

Vintage Sportscoach Owners Library

Old 05-29-2011, 10:49 PM   #17

Vintage RV Owners Club
After some more digging in the RV I found all the paperwork that included the operators manual for the gen set......still no replacement for a repair manual......thanks for the links guys!
Old 05-30-2011, 06:53 AM   #18

Fix the coil.
Check the filter.
Check out the fuel pump.
Check out the fuel shut off valve.
Disconnect all load at the genset and try running it, if it detects an overload it will shut down.

Not that it will help right now but I noticed that you said this is the first time in () years you ran the genset. It really does help to run it with a load every month or two
Old 05-30-2011, 07:38 AM   #19

some good advice from the group as always i too am a newbie to motor homes and bought a vintage unit the one thing i haven't seen anyone mention is to pull the carb once you get the spark issue fixed and clean the carb out, my generator had set about 8 years it is a honda but same principal it had only 32 hours on it when the pickup in the fuel tank failed then came the setting part the original owner wasn't mechanical at all.
took it apart cleaned it with carb cleaner and replaced the needle,seat is made in on this one, and gaskets has worked well ever since.
i bought my parts on line at a place called boats.net a little slow to ship but better then our local Honda dealer probably have onan parts too.
good luck with your project.

happy rving frank,cricket and harley
Old 05-30-2011, 10:54 AM   #20

And just one thing I haven't seen mentioned.

Virtually all generators pull gas from the gas tank. They are specifically designed not to run you completely out of gas, so their pickup is about 1/4 tank. If you're gas tank is not fuller than that, no generator gas. It's not impossible you had just enough gas in the carb to run that little bit and quit.
Old 05-30-2011, 12:22 PM   #21

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Cook View Post
noticed that you said this is the first time in () years you ran the genset. It really does help to run it with a load every month or two
I just got the MH so this is the first time I have ever started it up. It sat for 3-4 years before I got it so I'm trying to work out the bugs.
Old 05-30-2011, 12:31 PM   #22

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblanche View Post
And just one thing I haven't seen mentioned.

Virtually all generators pull gas from the gas tank. They are specifically designed not to run you completely out of gas, so their pickup is about 1/4 tank. If you're gas tank is not fuller than that, no generator gas. It's not impossible you had just enough gas in the carb to run that little bit and quit.
The fuel tank in the coach is full of old gas and water but it's full. I ran the gen set on a boat gas can with plenty of fresh fuel.
Old 05-30-2011, 06:31 PM   #23

Guy an a dog,
I sent you a private message reagrding the Onan manuals.

Dave