Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-27-2011, 07:37 PM   #1

Vintage RV Owners Club
Onan gen-set ran for a minute......I need a manual

I'm working on an Onan 4.0 BF-CR/16000B gen set in my 1977 The Diplomat II
This is the first time Ive ever run this gen set and it says it has 337 hours

Today I drained the old oil and put in 4 new quarts of 30w, I changed the air filter and attached a boat gas can the the fuel pump inlet because the fuel in the tank is 3-4 years old and I think has some watter in there too. A few cranks and it fired right up

it ran well for about a minute and then died it started back up and ran for a few seconds and died again I pulled a spark plug and checked for spark but no spark, so I went to pull the plug wires off the coil and they broke off. Off to the Napa thats a block down the street to get two new spark plugs and two new plug wires. I get the new wires on and get the plugs gapped and then check for spark again but no spark. I figure the next thing to test is the coil so I take that off and test the primary side and get .04 ohms I test the secondary side and nothing. I figure I need a new coil and I might as well replace the points too.

I feel like I'm flying blind without a manual and I can't find one online when I look. Does anybody have any suggestions about the gen set or where to download or find any type of manual for this thing? Any help would be appreciated.

Guy an a dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-28-2011, 06:06 AM   #2

your gen looks like mine did you do the points, i do have a generic manual ill get out to the rv and see where i bought it
whem2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 06:15 AM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Here's a link to a forum for older engines: Antique Engines and Old Iron Tractors on SmokStak

One of the guys there emailed me a manual for my Onan Emerald. I bet they'll have something for yours, too. Good luck!
rewaters49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 06:18 AM   #4

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Is this the manual you need?

Senior Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 08:15 AM   #5

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
If the engine starts and runs for a minute I suspect it's not the points, or plugs, else it would not start,, More likley it is the generator, fuel system, or computer, yes, it has a computer.

Fuel system: A clogged filter will let gas through slowly, but after it runs a bit the fuel will not be flowing fast enough,, Likewise a bad fuel pump may not pump enough to meet the needs.

Generator.. Onan senses if it's outputting 120vac, if it's not, or if the output is out of specification it shuts down, either to save fuel or to protect your down-line power consumers.

Computer: Makes that decision.

Now, finding out which it is is beyond my remote ability but hooking a voltmeter to the output leads might well be the first step.

Also, make sure you have good 12vdc to it.. Same powers the fuel pump.
Old 05-28-2011, 11:17 AM   #6

Vintage RV Owners Club
That's it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senior Chief View Post
Is this the manual you need?
Yes I believe thats it. Thanks so much
Old 05-28-2011, 11:40 AM   #7

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
If the engine starts and runs for a minute I suspect it's not the points, or plugs, else it would not start,, More likley it is the generator, fuel system, or computer, yes, it has a computer.

Fuel system: A clogged filter will let gas through slowly, but after it runs a bit the fuel will not be flowing fast enough,, Likewise a bad fuel pump may not pump enough to meet the needs.

Generator.. Onan senses if it's outputting 120vac, if it's not, or if the output is out of specification it shuts down, either to save fuel or to protect your down-line power consumers.

Now, finding out which it is is beyond my remote ability but hooking a voltmeter to the output leads might well be the first step.

The coil is testing bad so that will be the next to replace.
Old 05-28-2011, 03:48 PM   #8

hope it works out if not pm me il give you my phone number
whem2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 05:04 PM   #9

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by whem2fish View Post
hope it works out if not pm me il give you my phone number
Ok will do. I need to hunt down a replacement and the RV place down the street is closed until tuesday.

I would think that the service department at an RV dealership would be open for business on the most popular camping weekend of the year

Any one have a suggestion on a good/cheap website for parts?
Old 05-28-2011, 05:18 PM   #10

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post

I didn't think it was the plugs ether but they didn't look good and were only a few $ to replace. The wires were brittle and broke off and only $5 for the pair. It does need a new coil and I figured the only thing left in the ignition system that wouldn't be new would be the points so why not them too.

If it doesn't run after I replace the coil I'll look at the rest. Thanks for the advice this is my first generator so other than that the general basics I'm kinda lost.....but I'm a quick learner.
Old 05-28-2011, 08:04 PM   #11

What does the coil look like? It may be possible to use a different item if you know the specifications.

It's not a bad idea to replace the plugs right off the bat. The unit we have is very sensitive to any wear at all on the plugs.
Old 05-28-2011, 10:17 PM   #12

Here's another place to get an owners manual. It's a direct pdf file with no advertising involved.
http://f1.grp.yahoofs.com/v1/wMThTZc...F%20Manual.pdf
Old 05-28-2011, 10:50 PM   #13

Make sure and replace the condenser too. My onan in my boat had that problem and it turned out to be the condenser, after I had changed plugs, points, coil. It would run for a few minutes or maybe just not start. Good luck Steve
steved44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 11:04 PM   #14

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblanche View Post
What does the coil look like? It may be possible to use a different item if you know the specifications.

It's not a bad idea to replace the plugs right off the bat. The unit we have is very sensitive to any wear at all on the plugs.
The coil looks like a normal round automotive coil from the 70's but it has two plug wires plugged into it rather than one. It is a waisted spark system so it fires both at the same time.