Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 09-19-2012, 01:27 PM   #15

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
If you pull apart the carb, you will AT LEAST need a gasket.. Otherwise, a simple cleaning will do.

The reason chemicals through the fuel lines dont work is that they simply are not strong enough. You need to pull the carb and spray cleaner through all the passages.. Those in tank cleaners are really just 'maintenance' once things are actually clean.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-19-2012, 07:04 PM   #16

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
B12 etc

We used to spray B12 into the carbs of running engines. As far as I could tell all it did was produce lots of smoke.

Adding B12 to your gas could loosen varnish and other gunk in the tank and fuel lines and make it even worse. Might even get into your engine.

It's safer to remove the carb and take it apart for cleaning. It's pretty much just a bigger version of a lawnmower carb.

Old 09-19-2012, 08:41 PM   #17

Well, I decided to have a look at the idle & main jet settings on the carb and adjusted it the best I could. I used a KillaWatt meter with the AC 1500 watt heater and a 1500 watt hair dryer to load the Onan.

I think the carb is at 2-1/2 turns on the idle jet, and 2 turns of the main jet. It is running at 117-118v and 61-62 hz at No Load. When I apply a resistive load of 3,000 watts it is running at 114-115v and 60-61 hz at 3/4 load.

It doesn't surge and seems to handle the transitions from no load to 3/4 load to no load fairly well. When I go from full load to no load the hertz jump to @ 65hz for a few seconds than drops to 61-62. Is this few seconds OK?

Here is a short 10 second videos of the 4BGE running at No Load & running at 3/4 Load.

Maybe you could have a look/listen and let me know if it's running normally?

Onan-videos/NoLoad-IMG_2571.MOV

Onan-videos/FullLoad-IMG_2572.MOV

I have nothing to compare it to sound wise, but I find it very noisy and the sound is very metallic sounding. Look and listen to the videos (10 secs) and let me know your opinions on how it runs and sounds...

PS: I also find that it shakes a little, maybe this is normal?
Old 09-19-2012, 09:17 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muddypaws View Post
We used to spray B12 into the carbs of running engines. As far as I could tell all it did was produce lots of smoke.

Adding B12 to your gas could loosen varnish and other gunk in the tank and fuel lines and make it even worse. Might even get into your engine.

It's safer to remove the carb and take it apart for cleaning. It's pretty much just a bigger version of a lawnmower carb.
What if I get an external tank and run a very concentrated mix of B-12 & gas only through the fuel pump & the carb? Would that help to dissolve any varnish and gum in the jets?

I could run it for a short period everyday for a week.
Old 09-19-2012, 10:14 PM   #19

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
I didnt see the movies.. Takes Quicktime and I dont have, or use, that Apple ^&*^..

however, if you have the thing adjusted and running, I say just go for it..
Old 09-19-2012, 10:34 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midniteoyl View Post
I didnt see the movies.. Takes Quicktime and I dont have, or use, that Apple ^&*^..

however, if you have the thing adjusted and running, I say just go for it..
Here they are converted to MP4

Onan-videos/MP4/NoLoad-IMG_2571.mp4

Onan-videos/MP4/FullLoad-IMG_2572.mp4
Old 09-19-2012, 10:48 PM   #21

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Sounds OK

It doesn't sound like it's running on one cylinder. Sounds pretty normal to me. They do shake a bit, especially under changes in load.

If you mix enough B12 into the gas to clean the carb it probably won't have enough gas to run..... But what the heck, give it a try. What's the worst thing that can happen?

Or you could run straight B12 into it until it dies, let it sit for a couple of hours and then drain the float bowl and hook it back up to gas. It will take some cranking to get it running after this.
Old 09-19-2012, 11:45 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muddypaws View Post
It doesn't sound like it's running on one cylinder. Sounds pretty normal to me. They do shake a bit, especially under changes in load.

If you mix enough B12 into the gas to clean the carb it probably won't have enough gas to run..... But what the heck, give it a try. What's the worst thing that can happen?

Or you could run straight B12 into it until it dies, let it sit for a couple of hours and then drain the float bowl and hook it back up to gas. It will take some cranking to get it running after this.
I could try an external tank and put a 50-50% mix of gas and B12 cleaner.

I have heard that some folks could start it and run it on idle for a few minutes, sit overnight, start the next morning, and sit during the day, and repeat this for a week.

At least now it runs fairly stable and produces power within specifications.

Maybe I should ask Santa for a new carb for Xmas... lollll
Old 09-20-2012, 01:32 AM   #23

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Agree, sounds fine. Biggest problem is the number of turns of the mixture screws required, but, even that is not out of line. I'd call it good and run it..
Old 09-20-2012, 08:55 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midniteoyl View Post
Agree, sounds fine. Biggest problem is the number of turns of the mixture screws required, but, even that is not out of line. I'd call it good and run it..
I agree with you... Just for my peace of mind, does it make a difference if the idle & main jets are adjusted differently compared to the service manual?

I can't tell if it's running lean or rich other than the exhaust. It doesn't spit black smoke, and the exhaust appears clear. The genny appears to handle the transitions from no load to high load fairly well and back again.

The only issue that I noticed was that the hertz climbed to @ 65 hertz for 2-3 seconds when I transition from high load to no load, than stabilizes to @ 61-62 hz at no load. Is this a major problem?
Old 09-20-2012, 10:47 AM   #25

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Its not a major problem..
Old 09-20-2012, 11:25 AM   #26

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
If it starts every time and runs OK?

Call it a success and claim victory!
Old 09-20-2012, 11:42 AM   #27

I think you did a great job.

I got my Coach the week of Labor Day this year. After replacing ALL the batteries, when I would start the generator, same model as yours, it would need to turn over 5 to 7 times before it would run on its own. After our first trip, fresh gas with fuel treatment and octane booster, it will now pop off almost instantly.

My seller used shore power 99% of the time. Genset saw little use. Mine also had a high idle speed causing high voltage and hertz. Clean fuel and proper idle and all is well now.
PirateCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 02:37 PM   #28

Thank you all for your help and as was said, I should "claim victory" in this case

As in all repairs or adjustments, I will only know how it all works after I get out traveling to Florida from Canada.

I will update later when I get some real life use behind me with the generator.

Thanks again, IAN...

Tags
generator, onan