Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 09-21-2012, 01:21 AM   #29

On the subject of onan generators , my onan will start at the generator but won't start from the dash. It will however stop from the dash. Anyone had that problem and how did you correct it. Thanks

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-21-2012, 07:15 AM   #30

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Most likely a bad wire between switch and genset. Mine was bad at the connector at the genset. It takes a ground to both start and stop these.

Old 09-21-2012, 11:46 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redvette92 View Post
On the subject of onan generators , my onan will start at the generator but won't start from the dash. It will however stop from the dash. Anyone had that problem and how did you correct it. Thanks
My Holiday Rambler does exactly the same. However, ever so often the dash switch will work. I have no idea why or how to fix it. It would be a lot more convenient to start it from the dash or bedroom.
Old 10-09-2012, 11:09 AM   #32

I Onan genny for a 1990 pace arrow M/H mine with start but want stay running worked on it one week end about a month and 1/2 ago stopped and never went back so I cancel my camping trip there was no power where we where camping on black warrior river. The carb. was complety taken off it was clean and put back on. checked plugs had one new one in it I didn't know it took two. Replaced the oil so it look good. It's like a breaker flipping off except you don't hear anything flipping off. It was unpluged so that wasn't it, How do you check the button on the dash to see if it's bad. It starts up and dies like it not getting gas but it is we checked the line. We unplug the electric control switch that goes to the dash inside to start the generator from the driver's seat. Both Batteries are new maybe a year or less. I don't know what wrong BO my brotherlaw was going to check with an Onan to see about the dynamic are something like that. Anyone have any ideas I need help.
Old 10-09-2012, 01:49 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by grits58 View Post
I Onan genny for a 1990 pace arrow M/H mine with start but want stay running worked on it one week end about a month and 1/2 ago stopped and never went back so I cancel my camping trip there was no power where we where camping on black warrior river. The carb. was complety taken off it was clean and put back on. checked plugs had one new one in it I didn't know it took two. Replaced the oil so it look good. It's like a breaker flipping off except you don't hear anything flipping off. It was unpluged so that wasn't it, How do you check the button on the dash to see if it's bad. It starts up and dies like it not getting gas but it is we checked the line. We unplug the electric control switch that goes to the dash inside to start the generator from the driver's seat. Both Batteries are new maybe a year or less. I don't know what wrong BO my brotherlaw was going to check with an Onan to see about the dynamic are something like that. Anyone have any ideas I need help.
You have a different issue, probably something with the control board. I would suggest starting a different thread with the model # of your generator. You will get more responses that way.
Old 10-09-2012, 01:52 PM   #34

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by grits58 View Post
Yours is the control board.. Its bad. Look up 'Onan Dino Boards' for a new one.
Old 10-10-2012, 07:02 PM   #35

There IS a 5 amp fuse on the genset control panel - clearly labeled...
Gary - K7GLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 10:44 AM   #36

Mine quit starting from the dash during our first trip. The following weekend, I discovered a broken yellow wire near the genset. It is in the bundle of wires coming out of the side of the genset near the box the manual start switch is on, anyway, I spliced that wire back and the dash switch works again. Hope this helps you locate the problem.

PirateCamper is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator, onan