Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-07-2013, 05:18 AM   #1

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Onan Genset Hours

I am going to have to pull the genset on my Limited to replace a bad exhaust manifold. Onan NHE Emerald III 6500 with 1821 hours. Still runs well and uses very little oil but I was wondering if it is time to rebuild since I will have it out. Is 1821 hours a lot for this genset or am I being premature about the rebuild. Haven't done a compression check yet but would like some feedback from those of you who have knowledge on this subject.

Thx John
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-07-2013, 09:25 AM   #2

I would think with regular service you should be able to double that amount of time prior to overhaul with any amount of luck at all?
Old 09-07-2013, 09:37 AM   #3

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahicks View Post
I would think with regular service you should be able to double that amount of time prior to overhaul with any amount of luck at all?
I agree. My theory has always been if it ain"t broke don't fix it.
geno39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 08:31 AM   #4

Onan Genset Hours

Thx for the replies and I am a believer in "if it isn't broke don't fix it" but figured since I have to pull the genset anyway that if it needed major work that would be a good time to do it. This one has been maintained well so it sounds like I should be able to get a lot more hours out of it. I will do a compression check just to be sure but thx again.

John
Old 09-09-2013, 11:46 AM   #5

Onan will tell you that there longest lasting gensets are those that are run the most. Just always remember that after shutting down the load on it, you must let it run a few minutes to cool down before turning off. Many don't this, and that is not wise.
Old 10-07-2013, 09:44 PM   #6

Hi John,
First off I also agree with the "if it ain't broke" belief. But I was also wondering how long you have had your 88 Limited?? I just inherited that exact one. It hasn't run for over 10 years. I just got it running this last weekend. I was wondering if I could pick your brain from time to time? One of my questions that I am dealing with is the brakes. Granted it says that its a John Deere Chassis, But its also a Ford drivetrain. My question is where do you go for brake parts???? and do you get parts for a Ford F53 chassis???
Thanks for any help you can give,
Rob
RobTetzlaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 10:01 PM   #7

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by becks View Post
Onan will tell you that there longest lasting gensets are those that are run the most. Just always remember that after shutting down the load on it, you must let it run a few minutes to cool down before turning off. Many don't this, and that is not wise.
Is that in the owners manual someplace? I know it's not for our PowerTech gen set. And I don't remember seeing it in our previous Genajunk one either.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 04:38 AM   #8

Need to pull and check the brushes (suggest replacement due to their age - they're cheap)

If you "pull" it out, might I suggest replacing the drive belt and tensioner pulley.
Old 10-09-2013, 12:29 PM   #9

How does it start and run? Does it use any oil?

Check the compression, that along with oil consumption how it runs will give you a good idea if it needs internal work. Onan parts aren't cheap, you might as well use them up before replacing them.
Argosy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 12:39 PM   #10

Carolina Campers
Are you pulling or is it being pulled at the shop? If you are paying to pull it, that cost will be most of the cost, so I would say to do the brushes, housing around the brushes and the belt as suggested before.

If the brushes break it will probably collapse the housing and melt inside. That could happen in as little as 450 hrs. Don't ask me how I know that....
tedgard01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 01:02 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
Is that in the owners manual someplace? I know it's not for our PowerTech gen set. And I don't remember seeing it in our previous Genajunk one either.
Our house generator, a Kohler 35Kw always goes through a cool down phase prior to shutting down. Allows the generator end to cool off and the engine to run without a load which cools it off. I have always run any generator I am using through a 5 min cool down prior to shutdown.
Swamp Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 02:53 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Gen set can run long hours before rebuild seen them with 18000 hours and still running
Old 10-09-2013, 04:36 PM   #13

Do the Emeralds have drive belts? I thought they were direct drive, 1800 rpm motors?
Argosy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 04:40 PM   #14

Thx for all of the info. I have looked at all of my manuals for the Onan and can't find any reference to a drive belt or tensioner. Am I missing something? Also, Rob I responded to your private message and just want to be sure you received it.

John

Tags
onan