Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-20-2017, 07:31 PM   #1

Onan GenSet replacement.

Have a 30 year old Onan generator model BGF which frankly I have neglected. Now starting is an issue, carburetor replacement quoted as about $600.00 and parts for rebuild are almost nonexistent.
Am wondering if anyone has replaced an Onan with a HondaEU3000is using the coach generator compartment and running unit with door open for cooling needs as realize Onan forces air directly down by design being enclosed.
Any experiences or thoughts welcomed.
Feelgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-21-2017, 09:41 AM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club

Often carb problems are from stale gas and deposits gumming it up. Replacement carbs are expensive, rebuilt kits often non-existent. You could try removing the carb and soaking in carb cleaner or running SeaFoam through it if the generator runs.

Putting a Honda generator in the space could be done, I'd hook up 120v electric fans to keep the compartment ventilated.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 10:54 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post

Often carb problems are from stale gas and deposits gumming it up. Replacement carbs are expensive, rebuilt kits often non-existent. You could try removing the carb and soaking in carb cleaner or running SeaFoam through it if the generator runs.

Putting a Honda generator in the space could be done, I'd hook up 120v electric fans to keep the compartment ventilated.

Thanks.....good thoughts. Will try Sea Foam if can get started.
Fans good idea to ensure cooling.
Thanks for your comments.

Ken Keyes
Old 08-21-2017, 04:03 PM   #4

Gotta be resourceful when using old equipment. You might be surprised at availability of some old parts. Forget the dealer on the carb kit, try searching online or check here. A cheap carb kit, tune up, etc will probably fix everything.
Check here too:
https://www.smokstak.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=1
garys 68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 11:51 PM   #5

I just dug out a BFA I have that hasnt started in years and had it running in just a few minuets putting out 33Amps at a smooooth pur.

Fresh gas ( 10Gal tank was drained) , fuel filter and oil change is all it took.

I beleive you can still get carb rebuild kits and if you had too could cut your own gaskets.
Points, coil and plugs are all off the shelf peices.
Old 08-22-2017, 08:00 AM   #6

All comments appreciated by forum members.
Still working on problem, one step at a time. Confirmed gen fuel pump OK.
Link to smokestack.com appreciated for parts sourcing.
Old 08-23-2017, 10:08 PM   #7
Eds

Replacement carbs can normally be found online for less than $300
Eds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 07:26 AM   #8

Went online and purchased replacement carb, fuel pump, air filter and points.
Forum members very helpful with comments/suggestions. As a newbie, I had no idea of parts aavailabilty and sourcing on the internet.
Planned to replace fuel lines, add a fuel cutoff switch and filter.
I have questions about materials and or need to use a anti seizing compound on brass barbed fittings going into carb and any special concerns with handling of carb gaskets?
Old 08-25-2017, 12:12 PM   #9

Never done an Onan, but rebuilt Kohler, Weber, Carter, Qjet, Holley, etc carbs.
Guessing brass fitting in aluminum body, NPT fittings. No anti sieze, just Teflon tape or paste. Make sure no tape gets in the carb.
Just use the gaskets as is, no need for RTV.
garys 68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 04:39 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by garys 68 View Post
Never done an Onan, but rebuilt Kohler, Weber, Carter, Qjet, Holley, etc carbs.

Guessing brass fitting in aluminum body, NPT fittings. No anti sieze, just Teflon tape or paste. Make sure no tape gets in the carb.

Just use the gaskets as is, no need for RTV.

Good advice Gary. Thanks for the help.

Ken Keyes
Old 09-04-2017, 09:43 PM   #11

Thanks to all those who helped in my quest to get a Onan BGE generator running again. It is 31 years old and I neglected its maintenance.
This forum steered me into sourcing a parts manual, eBay market for replacement parts, and general information.
I replaced the carburetor, air filter, spark plugs, fuel pump and installed a fuel filter and fuel cut off valve. The set now runs and I am grateful for all the help and suggestions the forum provided.
I wish the carburetor had a bowl drainage port like most small Honda engines have. Fuel shut off is good but carb bowl drainage would be better for winter storage.
Again, many thanks!

Ken Keyes

Tags
ace, onan, replace, replacement