Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 12-13-2015, 10:12 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
Wdebarmore's Avatar
 
Monaco Owners Club
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 185
Open circuit breaker.

I noticed today the I had a circuit breaker that popped.. It's labeled water heater coil/ TV Entcrkt. I assume they mean the water pump motor coil.. But, my water pump works just fine. I did drive home from the beach in pouring down rain and wind gusting to 50 mph. I don't have any water leaks I know of except a slight windshield leak. I always keep a towel on the dash to catch the water that drips. Only drips when it rains very hard. The TV in the dash is AC, so that can't be it. Leaving me a bit confused.
__________________

__________________
1988 34' Executive Industries - Executive Prestige
5.9 Cummins, Allison AT542
Wdebarmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-13-2015, 10:20 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Arch Hoagland's Avatar
 
Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Clovis, CA, USA
Posts: 5,917
If it said water HEATER why would you assume it meant water PUMP?

Do you have hot water and does your water heater work on gas AND electricity?
__________________

__________________
2004 Monaco La Palma 36DBD, W22, 8.1, 7.1 MPG
2000 LEXUS RX300 FWD 22MPG 4020 LBS
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2015, 10:21 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
dons2346's Avatar
 
Country Coach Owners Club
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 4,497
No, they are talking about the electric coil in your water heater, not your water pump.
What the other thing is I am not sure but it could be the 120 vac that runs your TV
__________________
Don
2002 Country Coach Intrigue
dons2346 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2015, 10:24 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
Wdebarmore's Avatar
 
Monaco Owners Club
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 185
My bad... It said water "pump" coil. Don't know why I typed "heater"
__________________
1988 34' Executive Industries - Executive Prestige
5.9 Cummins, Allison AT542
Wdebarmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2015, 10:31 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
r___r's Avatar


 
Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Nor Cal
Posts: 1,325
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wdebarmore View Post
It's labeled water heater coil/ TV Entcrkt.The TV in the dash is AC, so that can't be it. Leaving me a bit confused.
TV Entcrkt: Is that Entertainment Center? If the TV is in the dash, and, the windshield leaks when it gets drenched, maybe, the rain is traveling along the window seal frame and dripping down(out of sight) behind the dash into the electrical wiring of the TV Entertainment wiring...just a thought.

Rich
__________________
Rich & Patricia
00 F350 7.3L___89 Terry Resort 25.5
___03 Klamath 30hp

r___r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2015, 10:34 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
Wdebarmore's Avatar
 
Monaco Owners Club
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by r___r View Post
TV Entcrkt: Is that Entertainment Center? If the TV is in the dash, and, the windshield leaks when it gets drenched, maybe, the rain is traveling along the window seal frame and dripping down(out of sight) behind the dash into the electrical wiring of the TV Entertainment wiring...just a thought.

Rich
That did cross my mind, but that TVis AC and it's a DC breaker. I could try and turn it on... It would be the first time in many years,as it has old style tuner and is basically useless.
__________________
1988 34' Executive Industries - Executive Prestige
5.9 Cummins, Allison AT542
Wdebarmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2015, 10:43 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
adamfolger's Avatar
 
Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: MotherLoad foothills approx.60 m.s east of Sacramento
Posts: 1,226
Your water heater is on a 110 ac circuit ( coil means heating element ) and the water pump is 12 volt dc. Reset the breaker and all should be fine unless it trips again right away. Not sure why the tv would be on the water heater circuit, since the water heater is a major amp draw by itself.

Not sure what your question is exactly....As clarification on rv electrical systems, in general the wall plugs, microwave, water heater, Tv ( but not always ) are 110 ac generator or shore power and EVERYTHING ELSE is 12vdc battery power. Understanding what powers what is very important in trouble shooting. Op may know all this but others may not. People are constantly confusing converters and inverters.

The above does not necessarily apply to newer high end motorhomes but 1988 vintage... for sure.
__________________
Full time since Nov 2012 RVM#41 Gary and Marian Hill 2001 Monaco Dynasty Jack 38' 370 hp ....If it ain't broke I can still fix it.
Like putting shoes on an octopuss, so are the days of our lives....
adamfolger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2015, 10:45 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
r___r's Avatar


 
Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Nor Cal
Posts: 1,325
TV has wiring under dash, maybe there is a inverter under dash.

I, myself, would be investigating under the dash for water. Just some ideas.

Good luck,

Rich
__________________
Rich & Patricia
00 F350 7.3L___89 Terry Resort 25.5
___03 Klamath 30hp

r___r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2015, 10:48 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
adamfolger's Avatar
 
Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: MotherLoad foothills approx.60 m.s east of Sacramento
Posts: 1,226
DC circuits don't have breakers they have fuses.
__________________
Full time since Nov 2012 RVM#41 Gary and Marian Hill 2001 Monaco Dynasty Jack 38' 370 hp ....If it ain't broke I can still fix it.
Like putting shoes on an octopuss, so are the days of our lives....
adamfolger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2015, 10:52 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
Wdebarmore's Avatar
 
Monaco Owners Club
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by adamfolger View Post
Your water heater is on a 110 ac circuit ( coil means heating element ) and the water pump is 12 volt dc. Reset the breaker and all should be fine unless it trips again right away. Not sure why the tv would be on the water heater circuit, since the water heater is a major amp draw by itself.

Not sure what your question is exactly....As clarification on rv electrical systems, in general the wall plugs, microwave, water heater, Tv ( but not always ) are 110 ac generator or shore power and EVERYTHING ELSE is 12vdc battery power. Understanding what powers what is very important in trouble shooting. Op may know all this but others may not. People are constantly confusing converters and inverters.

The above does not necessarily apply to newer high end motorhomes but 1988 vintage... for sure.
Water "heater" was a typo... It's the water pump, and it does open again if reset. But the pump never stops working. I think I'm going to have to try every device in the rig and try and find something that does'nt work. I don't even know how long the breaker has been opened, I just happened to see it today while looking for something else. The TV in the bedroom is 12V, I guess I'll start there. The breaker is easy to get to,and I'm assuming it has more the one load wire going to it, so I can at least isolate the short.
__________________
1988 34' Executive Industries - Executive Prestige
5.9 Cummins, Allison AT542
Wdebarmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 10:17 PM   #11
Senior Member
 
adamfolger's Avatar
 
Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: MotherLoad foothills approx.60 m.s east of Sacramento
Posts: 1,226
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wdebarmore View Post
Water "heater" was a typo... It's the water pump, and it does open again if reset. But the pump never stops working. I think I'm going to have to try every device in the rig and try and find something that does'nt work. I don't even know how long the breaker has been opened, I just happened to see it today while looking for something else. The TV in the bedroom is 12V, I guess I'll start there. The breaker is easy to get to,and I'm assuming it has more the one load wire going to it, so I can at least isolate the short.
I would like to help you solve your problem but you say the problem is an open 110 ac breaker that is labeled water pump coil. The water pump should be 12vdc and will not be connected thru a 110ac breaker. It will be protected by a 12v fuse. And...you say the pump always works even though the "breaker " is open. This is all very confusing....Since everything works, I guess there really is no problem, except for you understanding how everything works. What would the 12v tv in the bedroom have to do with an open 110ac breaker. The only thing that could trip the breaker is something which is powered by 110 ac. reset the open breaker and then switch off all breakers except the tripped breaker and see what is still working. Perhaps the problem in a miss labeled breaker. let us know if you figure this out...Gary

Are you hooked up to city water? Your water pump does not pump city water.
__________________
Full time since Nov 2012 RVM#41 Gary and Marian Hill 2001 Monaco Dynasty Jack 38' 370 hp ....If it ain't broke I can still fix it.
Like putting shoes on an octopuss, so are the days of our lives....
adamfolger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 10:50 PM   #12
Senior Member
 
Wdebarmore's Avatar
 
Monaco Owners Club
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by adamfolger View Post
I would like to help you solve your problem but you say the problem is an open 110 ac breaker that is labeled water pump coil. The water pump should be 12vdc and will not be connected thru a 110ac breaker. It will be protected by a 12v fuse. And...you say the pump always works even though the "breaker " is open. This is all very confusing....Since everything works, I guess there really is no problem, except for you understanding how everything works. What would the 12v tv in the bedroom have to do with an open 110ac breaker. The only thing that could trip the breaker is something which is powered by 110 ac. reset the open breaker and then switch off all breakers except the tripped breaker and see what is still working. Perhaps the problem in a miss labeled breaker. let us know if you figure this out...Gary

Are you hooked up to city water? Your water pump does not pump city water.
It is a DC circuit breaker. I have about twenty of them under an access panel on the top of my dash. I also have DC fuses associated with the P30 chassis under the dash, and more DC fuses under the entry step right next to the AC house circuit breakers. It is not possible to manually turn these breakers off, you can only reset them if the pop. DC circuit breakers are used mostly in aircraft. I was a bit surprised when I seen them. I'll go back over there this weekend I see if I can figure out what doesn't work when it's popped, but the water pump definitely works, pumping water from my fresh water tank.
The breakers are very similar to these, but not able to manually turn them off

http://www.sensata.com/images/product/acb-7274-c.jpg
__________________
1988 34' Executive Industries - Executive Prestige
5.9 Cummins, Allison AT542
Wdebarmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 11:03 PM   #13
Senior Member
 
adamfolger's Avatar
 
Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: MotherLoad foothills approx.60 m.s east of Sacramento
Posts: 1,226
Thanks for the lesson on the aircraft type 12v breakers. I am also surprised that your coach has them. SO most of what I had to say is irrelevant. Good luck with the problem.
__________________

__________________
Full time since Nov 2012 RVM#41 Gary and Marian Hill 2001 Monaco Dynasty Jack 38' 370 hp ....If it ain't broke I can still fix it.
Like putting shoes on an octopuss, so are the days of our lives....
adamfolger is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Circuit breaker tripping on a Lippert leveling system Jim_Bo RV Systems & Appliances 4 12-09-2015 04:11 PM
Hot 50AMP Breaker on Converter clpwat RV Systems & Appliances 28 08-25-2015 10:31 PM
tripped circuit breaker on generator- running 3 ac's mff RV Systems & Appliances 24 06-24-2015 10:16 AM
Refrigerator Circuit Breaker Tripping whipskipper Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum 4 05-25-2015 07:16 PM
Installing circuit breaker? fvstringpicker RV Systems & Appliances 3 08-18-2014 10:59 PM

» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:46 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.