Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 04-24-2015, 08:06 PM   #1

Question OR. newbie w 73 class C Dodge Brougham & many ?'s!

Hello all,

We purchased a 73 class C Dodge Brougham. She is in amazing near original condition with only 67k miles. We named her Pricilla, it fits her! We are located in the Oregon coast range.
Pricilla is is great shape but we have a few issues and many questions for DYI folks.
Issues we are having are as follows... I will post this in the vintage RV area too.
It's nice to have this as a resource!!

The oven lights and starts heating. Then it goes out every time. Is this likely to be a thermostat issue?
We have not been able to get the water heater to very get hot. It does light, but not easily. Do most people remove older water heaters and replace them? Or do these old units seem to be easy to repair? Does anyone have any experience with instant hot units, advise or recommendations?
The black and grey water tanks seem to be inside 1 large enclosure. It looks like 1 tank from the outside. Does anyone have experience with these kinds of tanks?
Gas mileage is the worst part! We have the Mopar 319 engine. She is only getting 7mpg. Other than the usual tuneup things is there any advise on improving mileage?
Anyone have experiences with Satellite dishes mounted with a Weingard mount and a home style dish? We would like to take the dish and set it up in campgrounds, etc.
Who has a favorite discount part & supply company online? Send us your recommendations!!

Thank you in advance if anyone has input! It's nice to be here.

Moon

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-24-2015, 09:37 PM   #2
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner

Good like with your find.

See My RV Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 09:53 PM   #3

I'll answer the mileage problem. It's many things. The engine is not a 319, but a 318ci. They're known for reliability, longevity and good mileage, BUT not in a vehicle that weighs 6,000 lbs and an axle ratio around 3.92 or higher. The axle is made for heavier loads and with a gear ratio that helps get the vehicle moving, it doesn't take long for a small(stock) block engine to run out of steam----thus, 7mpg. This engine back then probably only put out 185hp(200 tops). On top of that, only a 3-speed trans(no OD).

There is power adders, but money is involved and everything works with each other. Headers, performance intake w/small 4-barrel carb(or Holley Injection Conversion), Cam, blue-printed distributor, and much more----but again money, money, money. I've built up a few of these engines, but love the big blocks better.

I would just do a good tuneup and leave this dependable engine alone---

Unless you decide to swap out for a good (truck)360ci which will fit right on those engine mounts. More power/torque, but not known for fuel mileage. You will need to change out flywheel, plate, harmonic balancer, as the 360 is (exterior) balanced and 318 is (interior) balanced.
JaycoEagle10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 12:20 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by QoCascadia View Post
Hello all,

We purchased a 73 class C Dodge Brougham. She is in amazing near original condition with only 67k miles. We named her Pricilla, it fits her! We are located in the Oregon coast range.
Pricilla is is great shape but we have a few issues and many questions for DYI folks.
Issues we are having are as follows... I will post this in the vintage RV area too.
It's nice to have this as a resource!!

The oven lights and starts heating. Then it goes out every time. Is this likely to be a thermostat issue?
We have not been able to get the water heater to very get hot. It does light, but not easily. Do most people remove older water heaters and replace them? Or do these old units seem to be easy to repair? Does anyone have any experience with instant hot units, advise or recommendations?
The black and grey water tanks seem to be inside 1 large enclosure. It looks like 1 tank from the outside. Does anyone have experience with these kinds of tanks?
Gas mileage is the worst part! We have the Mopar 319 engine. She is only getting 7mpg. Other than the usual tuneup things is there any advise on improving mileage?
Anyone have experiences with Satellite dishes mounted with a Weingard mount and a home style dish? We would like to take the dish and set it up in campgrounds, etc.
Who has a favorite discount part & supply company online? Send us your recommendations!!

Thank you in advance if anyone has input! It's nice to be here.

Moon

The oven question, is most likely the thermostat, and can be purchased online, ( ebay, amazon, etc.)
Gas mileage, just give her a good tune-up, plugs wires, points, rotor, cap, and new fuel filters, check the vac. lines, and replace them if hard or cracked! She will never be a high speed MH, keep her around 60mph, she will let you know where she likes to run the best!
Water heater, maybe flush real good, check and see if the thermostat is touching the tank, and I would replace them, if not! Blow the burner tube out real good, and buy the long spring with the round brush on the end, to make sure the tube is clear! Works for all the gas app.'s too!
The black and grey, and the fresh water tanks, can all be flushed, and if they do not leak, why mess with them?
Someone else can help with the Sat. question, I have only had experence with the (view cube) on my semi, and it worked fine, but the tree's in the campgrounds will mess with your signal? The only time I ever needed the tv, was when it was raining! Always something to go do or see, kind of why you went camping in the first place? JMO!
Enjoy! Rail!
Old 04-25-2015, 08:41 AM   #5

We had an old Dodge Class C years ago , and I believe there was a only a single waste tank.

If your stove burners light and burn well, I'd agree that the problem with the stove is a faulty thermostat. Google the brand and model number for a replacement.

The water heater is easily fixable if its not leaking- not too many parts on them to go bad. What is the brand and model number?

If NONE of your gas appliances are working well, you might have a bad pressure regulator on your propane tank.
Old 04-25-2015, 11:27 PM   #6

I have a couple of guesses.

The enclosure surrounding your waste tanks may be for insulation to prevent freezing in cold weather. A logical option for an Oregon RV.

The oven might have a thermistor or such device which cuts off the gas if it doesn't get hot enough. This is to prevent death from gas asphyxiation. It might be you need a new one or the old one might have gotten bent and is not centered in the flame. A good physical inspection will tell you.

The advice about the LP regulator is good.

Tags
class c, dodge, newbie