Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 11-25-2007, 07:17 PM   #1

Hi,

I responded to a question another member asked who was having trouble getting original type aluminum skin, etc.

I thought I'd post a new thread with the same information, and title it so that others needing this information could find it quicker.

I'm not, in any way connected to this supplier nor have I ever done business with 'em. However, they've got a lot of cool things for vintage trailers, including gaskets and roll out window stuff.

Folks that need original type aluminum siding, mouldings and trim parts (plus underlayerment, etc.) need to check out this site, and their online catalog(s):

http://www.interstatemetals.com/

Hope this helps a lot of folks. Me? I have a '67 Frolic that I hope to reskin soon. Right now it is tight inside and out but is nice enough to deserve a "facelift!" Here's a composite picture of her:

Tom

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-01-2007, 05:56 PM   #2

Nice vintage trailer. I wish mine was salvagable to rebuild like this.

Keep making pictures!

Old 12-01-2007, 06:46 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
She looks good for 40 and original. Take care and enjoy her.

Ken
Old 12-07-2007, 04:39 PM   #4

Vintage RV Owners Club
OOOOooo, Neat!!!!! I love that wood, White pine is it???
Wallaby Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 08:03 PM   #5

Thanks Capt.!

It's actually golden Oak veneer, and a lot of it is bookmatched.

I'm attaching a closeup of the oak panels.

As you can see, by looking at the bathroom door, that originally it was much lighter in color (as evidenced by the color on the door where a mirror once was).

For some reason this old trailer is so warm and cozy . . . and the nostalgia factor makes it seem like I'm 16 again (that's how old I was in '67 when it was made).

I'll refinish the cabinets one day, but right now the trailer just shouts at me to RELAX each time I drive out to our hunting club where it is parked right now.

Thanks for writing!

Tom
Old 12-18-2007, 04:47 PM   #6

Vintage RV Owners Club
I Like it!!!
Old 12-18-2007, 11:43 PM   #7

The interior wood on your Frolic looks like mine did (1973 model). And like yours, where something covered the wood, and was revealed, the original color and hue are revealed.

I went to refinish my natural woods but the veneers had dried out so much that they had delaminated excessively. I ended up gluing many back together. However, the previous owners had drilled so many holes, scratched the finishes... that I just slapped a coat of latex base and then a color coat over that. Right now, my goal is to complete the rebuid... after the trailer is in use, I'll purchase new sheets of fine veneer and make new door and drawer fronts and only varnish them.
Old 12-21-2007, 08:00 AM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
your camper is beautiful.!!!
I found a 66 shasta it's only 13 ft-I'm currently rebuilding,I have added Dexter brake assemblies from "Nothern tool" $99.oo and breakway system for more $$.I am replacing all the screws with stainless-,Polishing up the aluminum trim,I will replace all the 42 year old wiring, a few light fixtures will be added,as well as a battery charger of some kind-and maybe even a solar panel to maintain the battery,it has a "ice box and a stove--pressurised water tank--no grey tank or bathroom,no water heater or furnace.and a "gas lite" on the wall.
rich in Va.
Old 12-25-2007, 04:16 PM   #9

Hi,

Mine's basically all original except for the original gas refrigerator (also in avocado green) being removed and replaced by a modern AC refrigerator. ARE THOSE THINGS REPAIRABLE?

Oh yeah, I had to replace the original toilet. The old one was made by a long defunct company and a crucial gasket part was no longer available.

I've also bypassed the original metal, pressurized water tank, due to the nasty metal taste of the water and routed a water line from and outside source into the trailer, via a pressure-reduced line.

I keep it about 25 miles out of town at our hunting club, where it is hooked up to external AC and water.

I'll swear I sleep better in the trailer than I do at home in my own bed . . . it is so relaxing!

Merry Christmas everyone!

Tom
Old 12-25-2007, 08:14 PM   #10

Vintage RV Owners Club
Tom, Thats how it starts!!! It sleeps better and you feel better the next day... Yep...You got it!!! Camping Fever!!! only cure is to just do it!!! Have a happy New Year to ya and enjoy!!
Old 12-26-2007, 03:21 PM   #11

And you too!

May your days be full of warm sunshine . . . your nights be pleasant with a gentle breeze!

Tom