Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-29-2013, 02:54 AM   #1

[Oshkosh_Diesel_RV_Chassis] Overland 1990, 1989,1988 Mallard Overland Front Diesel

*1990, 1989,1988 Mallard Overland*
I have an Overland that says 1988 John Deere on the chassis, 1989 in the VIN number, and 1990 on the title. I have been trying to research it, but it has been a needle in a haystack. I know that its and Oshkosh chassis. It has a diesel engine in the front of the RV. It is a 40 ft. Or near that. I have a guy working on it who is not experienced with RV's but is doing a pretty good job figuring things out.
We do have all the original manuals on it. But, it is a mess of information about gas engines, and a lot of extra stuff that doesn't pertain to it. It doesn't say what kind of chassis it is.
it kind of hoge poged together. A melting pot of parts. I think it is a ford steering wheel, allison transmission, Cummins diesel, And I am not sure what else. Just a bag of worms.
I would like to speed up the process by helping him with whatever I can find out on the internet. So far, the alternator was not charging the batteries. He went in and found it was a delco alternator which he thinks is not the original alternator. He thinks it should be a bosch. And it may be a rebuild. Anyways, there were maybe 5 wires hooked up to the alt. Some were melted. He reconfigured the wires in hopes that that was the problem. There was one wire left over that we don't have a clue as to where it goes. There are a lot of wires that have been spliced and are cut and is a mess under the dash. The previous owners had a field day with them!
Some things don't work. Like the air horn. The turn signal switch. The emergency start.
The blower on the A/c heater in the dash is weak. The A/C only trickles out. I am wondering if that is normal. The previous owner said that he didn't use the dash a/c because it wouldn't blow cold because the diesel engine would make the air too hot. I know the A/C system needs to be updated. But, I don't know if I should bother with it if it blows warm. Maybe it is the fan?
I am curious as to why the diesel is in the front and not the rear like all of the other diesels that I have found on the internet.
We have come to the conclusion that this chassis was one that didn't have the bugs worked out.
The speedometer is not hooked up to the transmission and we can't find where it plugs in. The wire is just hanging down, not connected.
The odometer does not work.
The volt meter is not accurate. It is showing on the low side.
Besides all of the other stuff. The BRAKES! I have to push down so hard it makes my leg hurt to get the darn thing stopped! I know this can't be normal. The previous owner said it was like that for him as well. He said he took it to an RV place to have it inspected and they didn't find anything wrong! I beg to differ. But, I can't, nor can my guy figure out what might be the problem. We don't know what exact chassis we have.
Also, the steering has way too much play in it. When I was going down the road about 40mph, I was white knuckling it to stay straight. I noticed a yellow sway bar underneath attached to the steering. But, I don't know if that is supposed to have any impact on the play. I am kind of lost in this area. I need to be able to steer and put on the brakes to drive it.
If anyone has any clues to my Overland orphan, please, please contact me! Please!giulianogirls@yahoo.com

see PICTURES

http://www.use.com/mallard_Overland_...a140a8065490a4

UPDATE: Based on my VIN number decipher. I have learned that I have a 228 inch wheel base.
The GVWR is Heavy (1601-19500)
My vin says that my RV is carbureted gas. Even though it is a front end diesel!
I have Hydraulic Assist Front and rear Disc brakes. ( I am not sure what that means yet)
My RV is a 1989. Even though it is marked on the chassis as a 1988 and the title says that it is a 1990!

Any more info on this RV would be greatly appreciated!
duckie is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-29-2013, 02:25 PM   #2

I see you started a new thread. You did see my other post then? http://www.irv2.com/forums/f65/88-ov...ml#post1584176

Quote:
Hydraulic Assist Front and rear Disc brakes.
Means front and rear power assisted disk brakes. Should be a Hydroboost power brake unit which is driven off of the power steering pump.

Dave
Classic Winnebago Site: https://www.classicwinnebagos.com/forum/index.php
Dave78Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 06:29 PM   #3

Nor'easters Club
If you want the manual for the chassis, you can find it here, JD Manual. It covers the gas & diesel chassis versions. Hope it helps.
Old 05-29-2013, 07:40 PM   #4

John Deere Manual

That manual has given me a lot of info so far. I have only just begun researching it. There are a lot of pages to look through! lol
Thanks.
duckie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel