Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-30-2012, 12:34 AM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Very cool! Have fun with the renovation.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-01-2013, 06:28 PM   #16

That 413 was an Awsome motor !!! I bought one from a motorhome once, rebuilt it, (a lot of mods) , it went in my 76 Power Wagon. Would spin all 4 31's on dry pavement. It'll last a long time, with a little proper care. And plenty of power just the way it is... Good luck on your project . It will be very special when done !!
monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 06:43 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvjimmy View Post
Be careful when working with those split rims. First thing to do is get rid of them and get tubeless if possible. Those split rims can take your head off if you don't know what you're doing. Safety first. Jim

X2 on the split rims.
Old 01-01-2013, 09:36 PM   #18

I had a metal roof on an old travel trailer. I used a self leveling sealant on it that I bought at Lowes. I had no idea what I was doing at the time but, the self leveling caulk worked great and was as close to permanent as you can ask for on a moving vehicle. My roof is rubber now and I recoated two years ago with white liquid rubber, 5 gallons when it was all said and done. It's still dry as a bone and we were camping at the Carolina coast when those storms and tornadoes blew through at Christmas. My thinking is that with the metal roof with cracked up fiberglass you might be able to be a little creative. I would consider something strong and flexible. I might avoid using fiberglass patches as that will probably crack again. I would think that if you stayed with fiberglass you would really need to completely recover the whole thing with a single sheet (or several big sheets) of fiberglass to allow it to flex a bit without cracks at the repair joints.
falconbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 12:46 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by falconbro View Post
I had a metal roof on an old travel trailer. I used a self leveling sealant on it that I bought at Lowes. I had no idea what I was doing at the time but, the self leveling caulk worked great and was as close to permanent as you can ask for on a moving vehicle. My roof is rubber now and I recoated two years ago with white liquid rubber, 5 gallons when it was all said and done. It's still dry as a bone and we were camping at the Carolina coast when those storms and tornadoes blew through at Christmas. My thinking is that with the metal roof with cracked up fiberglass you might be able to be a little creative. I would consider something strong and flexible. I might avoid using fiberglass patches as that will probably crack again. I would think that if you stayed with fiberglass you would really need to completely recover the whole thing with a single sheet (or several big sheets) of fiberglass to allow it to flex a bit without cracks at the repair joints.

I got up there and looked at it better. It is just the galvanized metal roof up there, As RNW said his was too. So I'm thinking i can't get by with just using a something from Lowes or Homedepot.
bigbertha72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 02:01 PM   #20

Yea, metal roof is easy to repair. On my old prowler travel trailer I used self leveling caulk and it lasted till I sold it a couple of years later. I used white. Me personally, I would avoid the black roofing sealant. That stuff is like a tar and wont last as, from what I have seen, it kind of shrinks and dries up over time. I would avoid RTV also. It will start to peel after a short period of time and will leak for sure.

I'm no expert on sealants, just sharing my limited experience. A lot of sealants will say on the tube what they are best for. Also, I check my roof several times a year. About once a year I climb up there with a tube of EPDM sealant and just touch up any spots that look like they may be future problems.

The good news is that with a metal roof you can't get it wrong. If what you put up there doesn't do the trick scrape it off and try something else.
falconbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 09:56 AM   #21

Winnebago Owners Club
Don't know much about restorations but would love to see photos as you progress with this and the outcome. Keep posting.
Trekkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 04:12 PM   #22

Well not to much progress. But scuffed up the driveshaft and repainted it and put on new u joints.

Old 01-12-2013, 06:33 PM   #23

Winnebago Owners Club
Labor of love
Trekkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 07:38 PM   #24
RNW

Vintage RV Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
keep up the good work
RNW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 05:14 PM   #25

saw one today just like it loaded on a flat bed truck going to scrap yard to be crushed , sad to see our past being wasted when someone could and would restore it . yours looks in better shape hope it turns out good for you .
swampdog2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 03:55 PM   #26

Late to the party, but here's what I coated my Superior with:

Henry 4.75-Gal. 287 Solarflex White Roof Coating-HE287SF871 at The Home Depot

Have you gotten any further with your project?
phierywred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 08:29 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by phierywred View Post
Late to the party, but here's what I coated my Superior with:

Henry 4.75-Gal. 287 Solarflex White Roof Coating-HE287SF871 at The Home Depot

Have you gotten any further with your project?
sadly no, I have been working on other projects. This one gotten pushed to the back of the list again.
Old 04-10-2015, 10:08 PM   #28

Well we are moving from Tennessee to texas so I finally am working on it because we refused to sell our for scrap or parts. My dad and I have been working on it this week. Pulled out the carpet and other trash that was in it. We got the cracked windshield out and gave it to my glass guy to cut a new one. Also got the side windows out that needed glass.

Have the new windshield installed and made the drivers side look awful so getting that cut and will have it installed next week.

Also ordered all new brake shoes, wheel cylinders, rubber lines, and shocks.

Also Ordered all new interior led lights, new water heater, new fuse box/ converter, new water pump and filter and speakers and other pieces that I need. I'll be rewiring the whole rv (well any 12v or 120v rv side of parts)

ANY recommendation on how to repaint it? I'm going use stripper to get old paint off, then rinse with soap and water followed by a vinegar wipe down (its galvanized metal) but not sure what to do about actual primer and paint.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20150409_175157.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	276.1 KB
ID:	91101   Click image for larger version

Name:	20150403_161650.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	146.3 KB
ID:	91102  

Click image for larger version

Name:	20150403_083649.jpg