Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 08-05-2011, 02:44 PM   #15
Originally Posted by kartvines View Post
It was a new belt but ran for a while while keeping the engine warmed up for months before the final adjustment so I thought I was in good shape, funny than the alternator maintained the engine running until I turned it off unless it was still running on back up battery power because it didn't stall out due to lack of power. I really got twisted out of shape and not usable anymore because of that. I will have my mechanic check the pulley alignment again he told me all was correct prior to the trip.
A vehicle battery is only there to provide the power needed to start a vehicle. Once started the alternator does take over and supply the needed power. If the alternator fails or the belt breaks then the motor will run on battery power until it is drained to low to continue proper operation. We drove a car once from Daytona Florida to Largo Florida, about 2.5 hours of highway driving, with a bad alternator. Of course it was July and we didn't use any accessories like radio or A/C but we made it running on the battery.

want2camp is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-05-2011, 03:08 PM   #16
Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Well I went back to NAPA to verify it was the correct belt and they said it was, so I got another replacement. The counter guy said it the pulley is not out of alignment then it could be a bad bearing, and said that the belt was distorted due to excessive heat. I just replace that belt and I could not find a problem with either pulley or bearing, I heard nothing was I rotated them, and it seems as if everything is aligned correctly. Prior to leaving I have my local shop inspect and adjust all belt, and was told they were all correct. this is the 2nd time this same belt cause me a problem, the first time it just broke, and this time it came off. I would hate to think this belt will continue stopping me from using the motor-home, so far it has been the problem every time.

I have not yet found the reason for the battery drain, the motor-home ran with no problem until I turned it off and then it would not restart the entire bank of battier were all dead. I first thing that the alternator may have still been working but that would have been impossible because the water pump and the alternator belt is the same belt, so I don't know what was power the draining if the batteries were dead and the alternator was no longer powering it due to the broken belt.

I guess I will replace the radiator and replace both the water pump and alternator with a larger ones if this will solve my problem, but not sure it will if the root problem remains this damm belt

Also I have some concernn about my reefer. When it is plugged in to house power it cool great, but as soon as I unplugged it and turn it to DC, it warmed up some and seems as if it help to create my battery drain. I could have used propane but having to turn it off every time I fuel didn't seem like a good idea. This is a Norcold 3 way reefer that the PO replace the stock one with.

1965 Scad-A-Bout Teardrop Trailer-1955 Crown "Canned Ham" Trailer-1966 Aristocrat Lo-Liner-1983 Fleetwood Pace Arrow
kartvines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 03:29 PM   #17
Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Does that belt also drive the A/C compressor?
P30, 454 ENG, TURBO 400 TRANS
GOLDWINGER2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 04:03 PM   #18
Newmar Owners Club
You have a single belt system running an alternator thats putting out close to the max trying to charge your battery bank, power a current hungry DC fridge, A/C fans and also drive your clutch fan when it engages. The heat from the radiator, A/C Condenser and trans cooler all add to the mix.
I occasionally lost a belt on my '84 S.Wind w/454. It would heat up, rattle (for lack of a better term), slip and sometimes flip over.
I solved my problem by maintaining proper tension and switching to a ribbed belt. Apparently they run cooler and don't glaze as easily.
I doubt a radiator, water pump or alternator will solve your problem.
FWIW years ago when I worked for Chev. they experienced problems with grooves worn into alternator pulleys that lead to premature belt failure.
bigskymt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 06:18 PM   #19
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
In years past NAPA belts were noted for loosening up fairly fast after the initial adjustment at replacement time (made by Gates at the time).

The engine battery would in fact keep the engine running for a period of time up until the time you shut the engine off then tried to restart it, it takes a lot less to keep vehicle systems up & running compared to the power draw when starting the engine.

If it were mine I'd replace the belt then have a simple systems check of the charging system done. Any belt that was lose enough to come of the pulley could/would show signs of slippage or overheating that's to be expected. Check your NAPA bet a few times after the initial adjustment to be sure it's still tight, the longer the belt and the harder it works makes it loosen up that much faster.

Be careful how much money you throw at the problem until you know for sure what the problem really is.
John & Cathy R.
06 Pace Arrow 38L W24
08 Lincoln MKX AWD
See My RV Upgrades
JohnRR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 09:35 AM   #20
Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
No it doesn't driver the AC compressor

Originally Posted by GOLDWINGER2 View Post
Does that belt also drive the A/C compressor?

1965 Scad-A-Bout Teardrop Trailer-1955 Crown "Canned Ham" Trailer-1966 Aristocrat Lo-Liner-1983 Fleetwood Pace Arrow
kartvines is offline   Reply With Quote