Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-04-2011, 08:59 PM   #1

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Our 83 Pace Arrow Texas maiden voyage was a total failure

Well after a year of planing and working on this 83 Pace Arrow the maiden voyage lasted only 30 minutes, after leaving home the motor-home broke down just 30 minutes from home, after overheating after the first climb and after pulling over to allow it to cool I lost all power and had to have it towed home after a 5 hour wait with coach-net. We ended up getting home only to throw as much as possible into our vintage 55 Crown travel trailer and headed toward Texas again just to again break down just before we crossed into Arizona, the hitch lost it's Lynch pin and separated from the truck, dumping the trailer onto the middle of the street.

Well we got to Texas only a day behind schedule, and made it home yesterday. so the motor-home was a total failure. I will check to see if I can discover the problem this week end, and plan to make another major repair, and if that too fails in the same way this trip did, we will get rid of it, being more than 10 grand down. We hope it doesn't end this way. It was a total disaster
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-04-2011, 09:17 PM   #2

So sorry to hear your maiden voyage went so bad :'(
Is the trailer ok? Maybe the rig needs some tlc on the radiator/thermostat/hoses etc area? Did it need or receive any of those items or service during the year getting ready?

Hope you find the problem when you look at it and that its an easy & cheap fix!!!
Old 08-04-2011, 09:17 PM   #3

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
kartvines,
So sorry to hear of your disappointing maiden voyage. Sounds like you were determined to have a good time anyway by using your TT, must have been a hair raising event to have the TT disconnect on the road
Getting back to the MH, did it stop running due to overheating or did you pull over before it got too hot?

Wanabee FTer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 07:01 AM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
That sucks but I'm happy to hear you still managed to salvage your trip. If it makes you feel any better, things break on the newest motorhomes too.

Hopefully you'll get the mh back on the road without much trouble or expense. I'd suggest a short 'test' trip to make sure all systems are ok before hitting the road for another long vacation. That said, I'm not one to talk - twice I've bought mhs sight unseen, flown in to pick them up and then drove 2500 miles home (although I did have both checked mechanically before leaving and on the second trip, we had have a water pump failure after about 500 miles and had to get that fixed before we could continue).
michelb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 07:07 AM   #5

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
You have all my sympathy! Stuff breaks on MHs, new, old or in between. Rarely is it at our convenience.

I wonder if you cooked some plug wires when you overheated that first time?

Senior Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 08:57 AM   #6

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanabee FTer View Post
kartvines,
So sorry to hear of your disappointing maiden voyage. Sounds like you were determined to have a good time anyway by using your TT, must have been a hair raising event to have the TT disconnect on the road
Getting back to the MH, did it stop running due to overheating or did you pull over before it got too hot?
We pulled over the first spot we could and think we did so before major problems developed, but won't know until I check the system out.
Old 08-05-2011, 09:03 AM   #7

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by michelb View Post
That sucks but I'm happy to hear you still managed to salvage your trip. If it makes you feel any better, things break on the newest motorhomes too.

Hopefully you'll get the mh back on the road without much trouble or expense. I'd suggest a short 'test' trip to make sure all systems are ok before hitting the road for another long vacation. That said, I'm not one to talk - twice I've bought mhs sight unseen, flown in to pick them up and then drove 2500 miles home (although I did have both checked mechanically before leaving and on the second trip, we had have a water pump failure after about 500 miles and had to get that fixed before we could continue).
That was alway our plan but for reason we did not get to do so. We had everything checked out by our mechanic before leaving, with a major tune up etc. I think we may have thrown a new belt, causing the overheating, but not yet investigated it. If we did it was a new belt and now I have to determine what cause it to break, my mechanic said it was a good belts and he adjusted them all just prior to our trip. Once I find the problem you know I will post it for more feed back.
Old 08-05-2011, 09:29 AM   #8

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
just checked

Just pulled the dog house to discover that it was the water pump belt, that was only thrown, did not break. so that caused the overheating, but not sure what cause it to drain the batteries. When we arrived home yesterday it seems as if the battery bank were charged, but when I tried to turn the engine over it is still completely dead,and I had it on a maintainer, I found I forgot to turn the refer off so I am sure it drain it, but can not figure out what is now killing the battery. I plus it into the house current yesterday and it too did not charge the battery so not sure what my next step will be. Now have it on the battery charger so I guess I will see the status in a few hours.
Old 08-05-2011, 10:01 AM   #9

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by kartvines View Post
Now have it on the battery charger so I guess I will see the status in a few hours.
Shore power(120)only charges the house batteries, the chassis battery is charged by the alternator or an external battery charger. Was your water pump belt a new one? You have to re-tighten them after they break-in.
J
GOLDWINGER2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 10:01 AM   #10

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Just pulled the dog house to discover that it was the water pump belt, that was only thrown, did not break. so that caused the overheating, but not sure what cause it to drain the batteries. When we arrived home yesterday it seems as if the battery bank were charged, but when I tried to turn the engine over it is still completely dead,and I had it on a maintainer, I found I forgot to turn the refer off so I am sure it drain it, but can not figure out what is now killing the battery. I plus it into the house current yesterday and it too did not charge the battery so not sure what my next step will be. Now have it on the battery charger so I guess I will see the status in a few hours.
Fridge battery comes from the coach batteries NOT the main (engine) battery side.....
On my 83 Itasca the "dual-mom" switch can be a "PITA" especially when the ignition switch is left on (accessary side included) .
Your biggest problem at the moment is finding the reason the belt flipped over and that could be your "PITA" for a week or longer.

Jim
JimElliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 10:25 AM   #11

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Sounds like the alternator/water pump belt caused the chassis battery to drain when it came off. Hopefully no other problems then that.
Have your mechanic check for any miss-aligned pulleys. If nothing is found wrong, the new belt may have been installed in the wrong pulley groove.

Wanabee FTer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 10:31 AM   #12

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
It was a new belt but ran for a while while keeping the engine warmed up for months before the final adjustment so I thought I was in good shape, funny than the alternator maintained the engine running until I turned it off unless it was still running on back up battery power because it didn't stall out due to lack of power. I really got twisted out of shape and not usable anymore because of that. I will have my mechanic check the pulley alignment again he told me all was correct prior to the trip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanabee FTer View Post
Sounds like the alternator/water pump belt caused the chassis battery to drain when it came off. Hopefully no other problems then that.
Have your mechanic check for any miss-aligned pulleys. If nothing is found wrong, the new belt may have been installed in the wrong pulley groove.
Old 08-05-2011, 10:38 AM   #13

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Might have installed the wrong size belt also and when your freeway speeds were reached your belt climbed over the pulley.

Jim
JimElliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 10:41 AM   #14

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Can you check to see if alternator and water pump are free and not frozen up?

Senior Chief is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
texas