Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-23-2011, 10:39 AM   #1

Our 94' Nomad

We recently purchased a 1994 Nomad 5th wheel. For it's age it's in great shape. The interior shows very little wear and other than SCREAMING 90's COUNRY BLUE, has only needed a very through cleaning. So far everything seems to work. There are a few interior project I'm working on, but mostly just getting things cleaned, set up and organized.

I started washing the outside yesterday and thank goodness it's only 19' long. I got 3/4 of it done and was plain tucker out. I don't think it's ever been washed! Other than the dirty, greasy stuff the exterior is in great shape too. But I have some cleaning questions. The aluminum siding is covered with small black spots that I assume are road and age related. After all the scrubbing there is still a faint shadow of some spots. I've started calling them age spots! Will these ever come out? Will I be doing a disservice to my new toy if I wax over them? I'm a little bit under the gun on the exterior cleaning. Fall and winter are fast approching and I don't have a lot of spare time for cleaning. Since our 12' high 5th wheel won't fit through the 8' shop doors, it's going to have to live outside and I want to get it all waxed up before the snow flies. Any suggestions on wax products for aluminum siding?

The roof is my other question. It's dirty. Very dirty. Again black spotty stuff, not mold (well maybe some), it scrubs off, but should I be scrubbing the roof? DH wants to do some recalking up there but it must be cleaned first. It reminds me of the time, 20 some years ago, when we had a 300 gallon water tank on a tower as our water supply. DH decided to clean out the three or so inches of mud in the bottom of the tank. Well, when he did that, it uncover a number of small holes. Long story short, we had to have the bottom three inches cut off the tank and have a new bottom welded on! So, do we run the risk of the same thing happening with the roof? Get up there, scrub it clean and uncover or create problems? And how hard/expensive is it to recoat the roof? It's not a metal roof it's white stuff. Don't think its rubber. No major signs of leaking but a few minor stains inside that we want to keep minor.

But in the mean time, DH just got the hitch installed, still has to put in the brake controller then it's off to the local theatre parking lot for turning and backing practice. We hope to take it out for our maiden voyage the first week of October. I know these posts are all about the pictures but the camera is in the truck which DH took to work. But pictures in the next post for sure!
one-nighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!